Deciding the best course of action. OPINIONS WANTED

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Off-duty driving "while not under dispatch", I was always told.

Sent from my LG-E980 using EO Forums mobile app

Yeah. That's how it is with FDCC. We got in trouble once because we were dispatched on a load to pickup the next day and did off duty driving to the walmart and back to the truck stop. Even though we didn't have cargo it was not allowed because we were dispatched.

Road2KnowWhere

Rookie Expediter
assume that once i get through school i will have to "pay my dues". I think FECC is 6 moths experience before you are able to run for them,

If FECC approves the school where you took the test,I think they will waive that 6 months experience. So you could drive for a fleet owner,right out of school.

Great! Thats something I will have to look into. I might have to give them a call and see what schools they approve of :)

And thanks for the insight Daffy! I would definitely want to be in charge of the operation as much as possible. and yea, I would need to learn the trade very well before considering becoming an o/o. Im beginning to think that getting my cdl would be the most responsible/beneficial route to take…I would have to be 100% sure though. no u turns.

Last edited:

Road2KnowWhere

Rookie Expediter
UPDATE: So it might be a little too soon to mention this but last night my girlfriend and I had a long conversation and she said she would consider getting her class a cdl and go OTR with me as a team. I have a few questions about this, Are there any companies that anyone would recommend? I have my eye on FECC but what are some other good team companies out there? Would it be possible to make 50 cpm (slipt) right out of school? Also, would we be able to move out of our apartment and live out of a fleet owners truck 100% of the time? I know this would be an intense living situation but Im thinking about the savings we could have if we cut our expenses to an absolute minimum. My girlfriend and I have been together for 4 years and have a great relationship so we are pretty confident we could handle it. Any input is much appreciated, thanks so much!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would talk to the folks at expediters services. From all I hear they are good people and mainly deal with teams. You might be able to go to a community college nearby to get your cdl and they could then put you in a st at FedEx.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

fr8hlr521

Active Expediter
UPDATE: So it might be a little too soon to mention this but last night my girlfriend and I had a long conversation and she said she would consider getting her class a cdl and go OTR with me as a team. I have a few questions about this, Are there any companies that anyone would recommend? I have my eye on FECC but what are some other good team companies out there? Would it be possible to make 50 cpm (slipt) right out of school? Also, would we be able to move out of our apartment and live out of a fleet owners truck 100% of the time? I know this would be an intense living situation but Im thinking about the savings we could have if we cut our expenses to an absolute minimum. My girlfriend and I have been together for 4 years and have a great relationship so we are pretty confident we could handle it. Any input is much appreciated, thanks so much!

Wow! Big decision, but could work. IMHO, class b is much easier, cheaper, safer, and more attainable. I drove 18 wheels for a large carrier for a few years and doubt you will have a lot of options on that route. My wife would not consider anything that `bends in the middle or has a shifter`, so that's why we are in a straight with an automatic. I would re-think the idea of using a truck as "home", but if you do make sure you have a "tax address" somewhere so you do not lose the benefit of claiming per diem on your taxes. Big deduction. I'd read a lot of forum posts, with a grain of salt, and develop a short list of companies. Look more for trends in feedback about companies than individual, isolated comments. Then look into driving for a small fleet owner at one of those companies. You are smart to be on here asking questions. Good luck! :)

Road2KnowWhere

Rookie Expediter
I would talk to the folks at expediters services. From all I hear they are good people and mainly deal with teams. You might be able to go to a community college nearby to get your cdl and they could then put you in a st at FedEx.

Thanks for the info, I'll be looking into them!

Wow! Big decision, but could work. IMHO, class b is much easier, cheaper, safer, and more attainable. I drove 18 wheels for a large carrier for a few years and doubt you will have a lot of options on that route. My wife would not consider anything that `bends in the middle or has a shifter`, so that's why we are in a straight with an automatic. I would re-think the idea of using a truck as "home", but if you do make sure you have a "tax address" somewhere so you do not lose the benefit of claiming per diem on your taxes. Big deduction. I'd read a lot of forum posts, with a grain of salt, and develop a short list of companies. Look more for trends in feedback about companies than individual, isolated comments. Then look into driving for a small fleet owner at one of those companies. You are smart to be on here asking questions. Good luck! :)

Thank you! Yea its a huge decision. Im gonna have trouble sleeping these next few nights! Yea, my girlfriend is kinda hesitant about going all out for a class a, but she would be up for the challenge too though. However, I think if there's just as much, if not more opportunity for income in driving a straight truck, that would be the best way for us to go, at least for now. Im definitely still doing plenty of research before i jump into anything.

fr8hlr521

Active Expediter
Most straights are much more comfortable to live in than tractors, too...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

First: congratulations! Having a significant other who is ready [or at least willing] to drive team with you puts you in the best possible position, because every carrier & fleet owner prefers same-household teams. Assuming you're willing to learn and work, you can do very well in expediting.
Living in the truck is possible, but as mentioned, if you don't have an actual address, you can't claim the per diem deduction, and you don't want to lose that. You may be able to claim rent in a friend/family member's home, but make sure it will meet with approval from the IRS!
You will also need to have a Plan B in case the truck is in the shop for longer than a couple days, because even with Corporate Lodging [highly recommended for drivers & fleet owners], it gets too expensive to stay in motels.
As far as companies, I hear good things about Expediter Services, and of course, I highly recommend Load 1. ;)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sure you can go in a straight truck. It also costs double or more for fuel and eats into your driving time. Where there's a will there's a way but you can't compare the ease and freedom of a van to a straight.

True dat - but you also can't compare the comfort & earning potential of a van to a straight, either. And when it's a team, a van is often just too small for comfort.
Besides, whether you go to a truckstop or a WalMart or a Y, you gotta go somewhere.....

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll share with you the advice that my father gave me when I decided to take this career path ...

If you want to get in the game, go all in.

Get your class A and minimally a haz mat endorsement. Yes, it's a significant investment of time and money, however, as you astutely pointed out it really boils down to opportunity ( which translates to income ). Investing in a class A provides you with a wide range of options, including expedite. Socking your cash into a van provides you with ... A van.

Nothing against the van guys, some apparently do quite well. Many, perhaps most, struggle to scrape out a decent income. From my perspective, the van compatible shipments that transportation buyers can/will justify an exclusive use vehicle for are in short supply relative to the availability of vans in the market. Too many dogs chasing one stick.

Solo drivers in straights or tractor trailers can do well in expedite, teams typically do much better. You're home base in OH is a good location for expedite, and if you take the solo route in a straight or tractor trailer be mindful that taking a longer run (I.E. over a weekend) that lands you out West is a move you don't want to make. East of the Mississippi and North of 20 is a good guideline to follow for solos.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll share with you the advice that my father gave me when I decided to take this career path ...

If you want to get in the game, go all in.

Get your class A and minimally a haz mat endorsement. Yes, it's a significant investment of time and money, however, as you astutely pointed out it really boils down to opportunity ( which translates to income ). Investing in a class A provides you with a wide range of options, including expedite. Socking your cash into a van provides you with ... A van.

Nothing against the van guys, some apparently do quite well. Many, perhaps most, struggle to scrape out a decent income. From my perspective, the van compatible shipments that transportation buyers can/will justify an exclusive use vehicle for are in short supply relative to the availability of vans in the market. Too many dogs chasing one stick.

Solo drivers in straights or tractor trailers can do well in expedite, teams typically do much better. You're home base in OH is a good location for expedite, and if you take the solo route in a straight or tractor trailer be mindful that taking a longer run (I.E. over a weekend) that lands you out West is a move you don't want to make. East of the Mississippi and North of 20 is a good guideline to follow for solos.

Good advice. Very well said.