Dealerships to watchout for

bulletbob36

Expert Expediter
Although I am sure some of you have had good experiences with Ellenbaum truck sales. But this thread is about those that feel they have been taken advantaged of by Ellenbaum.

I have recently bought a straight truck from John Ellenbaum and most of our dealings have been thru e-mail until the day I picked up the used unit. During our conversations I repeadetly told and was reassured that this unit had nothing wrong and was in good working order. 2 weeks after I picked up the truck I started to have electrical issues and had to put it in the shop to find out that there was open wires and 4 shorting oput wires in the box. When I asked John Ellenbaum about this he said that he had this issue before and for me to change out the tail lights to LED lights and this would solve the problem. well it didn't. 1000.00 later is when they found these wires. In addition they noted that the Turbo is failing, the transmission cooler is leaking, there is a hole in the cab airbags, The tires are dry rotted and various sizes, The Airlines to the breaks were hydraulic lines not airlines, the airlines and wiring was run outside of the frame from cab to tail end, and that the oil was burnt and needed a serious PM done. when I picked up the unit I was told that a PM was just done and there were dates written on the filters.

Now I assume 1/2 the responsibility because I didn't go thru the truck 100% before I left his shop, it was -35 below and wanted to get going and took his word that everything was good.

When I asked John Ellenbaum how he wanted to handle this he replied "Sold as is" so this is a fair warning to all that will do business with Ellenbaum Truck Sales """BEWARE"""

bulletbob36

Expert Expediter
There's something called Lemon Law, even if it was sold "as is"
I checked and in the State of Michigan it only applies to Cars and Light duty trucks, Ellenbaum is also not a member of the BBB so I have gone as far as the State Attorney Generals office. and waiting now for their investigation to finish.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Pre-trip. I'd say you mostly screwed yourself.

Agreed. Dry rot tires/ various sizes, leaking tranny cooler, burnt oil, mis ran airlines/electrical all could be found on a pretrip. The fact it took you 2 weeks to find this scares me. You do have a cdl right?

As far as a failing turbo and electrical issues, that just goes with buying a used truck. I've bought several and I've never not put atleast $5,000 into the truck in the first year. That's why the truck wasn't $150,000.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Now I assume 1/2 the responsibility because I didn't go thru the truck 100% before I left his shop, it was -35 below and wanted to get going and took his word that everything was good.

Only half of the responsibility? His job was to sell the truck which he did. Your job was to check the truck out which you didn't do. So when you had this truck looked over by an independent mechanic prior to you buying it how did they miss these issues?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have recently bought a straight truck from John Ellenbaum and most of our dealings have been thru e-mail until the day I picked up the used unit.

When you say "most of our dealings", are you saying you bought this used truck sight unseen? If so, and you didn't even look it over enough to see how bad the tires were, then shame on you. Expensive lesson learned.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I purchased a truck from him also but i checked it out. Had some problems but nothing major so far. Been running it for a month now. He told me some things where done and they werent. Just your typical used car/truck salesman. What truck did you buy???