$#&*^% DARN IT!!!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't mess with the local place. Call the corporate office Tuesday. They will take care of it. I had a major problem after stopping at one of their locations. The corp. office took care of all the expenses. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Layoutshooter: I am sorry about your bad luck, and I hope the more knowledgeable guys can help you get the immediate problem solved. I would agree with Greg, though, that Speedco is clearly at fault - if it wasn't stripped when you arrived, then it MUST have benn stripped while in their care, and they are responsible for making it right. You shouldn't need a lawyer, just request the Speedco manager's name. You can write a brief letter, stating the facts, and most important: what you're asking them to do, to make it right. (If you're an OOIDA member, they might assist you.) If the manager's response doesn't satisfy you, get his superior's name & mailing address, and write to him, with a copy of your letter to the manager.
I had a problem with shoddy work too,(not Speedco) and it took awhile, but I did finally get the requested refund. That felt good, but I felt better knowing that the careless repairperson will be more careful in the future.
Hope you get it all worked out, and without too much hassle.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Don't mess with the local place. Call the corporate office
>Tuesday. They will take care of it. I had a major problem
>after stopping at one of their locations. The corp. office
>took care of all the expenses. Good luck.

We had a problem at a Speedco too that took our truck off the road for a day and cost us a service failure because we could not make it to a pickup. Speedco corporate denied responsibility for the damage, but was responsive and helpful. While we are satisfied with after-event customer service provided by Speedco corporate, we no longer use the Indianapolis store.

We have also changed to Volvo for our oil changes. That is not because we dislike Speedco oil changes but because I am running extended-interval oil changes on our truck. For that, I want the best filters you can buy, which in this case is Volvo filters for our Volvo engine. Speedco will not provide price credit if you supply your own filters. They will instead give you a set of their filters that they did not use if you supply your own. I don't need to build up a supply of Balwin or Fleetguard filters that I will never use, so Volvo dealers get our oil change business.

That saddens me. When we drove fleet owner trucks, we used to love the convenience of a Speedco oil change. But on our truck, until Speedco's filter policy changes, we will be using them only for lube jobs between our 25,000 mile Volvo-provided lube, oil and filter service.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
My impression of Speedco is very negative . The way they are constantly illegally on the CB trying to pull customers in they sound like a bunch of young , inexperienced franchisees in a market that the corporation is oversaturating . They'll tie up the CB channel all day then close at night when drivers are more likely to want service . I know of a driver that waited over 2 hours for an oil change only to be told they were closing for the day and they didn't have time to get him in .

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am going to try a plug today, I think it will hold till I can drop this load on Tues. I will be in contact with Speedco on Tues as well. I did not see them put the plug in, they had put it in and the oil was in. They called me out to witness the "torqing of the plugs" as normal and it would not tighten. Thanks to all for the help, great people in here. Layoutshooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe the last oil change place stripped it and just used plumbers tape and sealer and didn't say anything????

60MPH

Expert Expediter
yes I got the fumoto drain valve on my d-max was about 27.00 with shipping I love it. I do not know if they make it for a big truck oil pan though. I had got stuck in mason MI. under a weekend load because the victory lane oil change place stripped my old van's oil pan hole real bad. Had to call panther and tell them to send another van to do a hand transfer because I had to have the van towed to a shop 4 miles away, and of course they said they did not strip it and would not cover it. so I bought one for that van and never had a problem again, approx miles on the 2 valves combined is 400k. 300k on the old one when I sold it, and 104k on this new van

60 MPH ALL DAY-EVERY DAY

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Thanks to all for the help, great people
>in here. Layoutshooter

EO camaraderie. It's a beautiful thing when we work together without adversity.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey VavMan, ANYTHING could have happened. They tried plumbers tape at Speedco but it did not work. I still think Speedco is a fault, they said nothing about the plug being too loose or too tight when they took it out. Who knows. Layoutshooter

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Well... if you got the last oil change done at Speedco, there ya have it. One of them is at fault, but both are the same company. Contact corporate and let them sort it out while they're cutting you a check for repairs.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
If it would have been cobbed together at AB the tech. would have seen the stuff around the plug and said something right there and then. So it seems unlikley that it was caused at AB.

Packy

Seasoned Expediter
Speedco should be held responsible for repairing your truck. It was not leaking when it came into the shop, so they did not do the oil change correctly. Here is a person you may wont to contact at Speedco Corporate office, JASON EVANS (DIRECTOR RISK ENVIROMENTAL AND SAFETY.) 703 W Park Street Cayuga, IN 47928 PH:765-492-7134 Maybe he can tell you who to talk to at the corporate office. Hope this helps.

FedEx Custom Critical
Fleet Owner & Operator
D Units

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, I had an expandable rubber oil filler plug put in at the TA in Wytheville. It has worked so far. We made it as far as Charleston WV. Only 24 miles to go on Tuesday morning. Cross you fingers but we have a chance!!! Thanks to all here, what a great resource this is.
Layoutshooter

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You should not have a problem with the temp solution, it should hold up until you get to DD or where ever for the repairs. The problem is many people will run like this all the time, bad idea.

The really dumb question of the day is when you said; "They called me out to witness the "torqing of the plugs" as normal and it would not tighten." Is this a normal occurance with any shop? I have never been asked to watch anything and if I was I would tell them to take it out and let me see them put it in - oil or no oil in the pan, it would raise my concern a lot.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Greg,

At Speedco, it is standard procedure to have the driver witness the torquing of the drain plugs, and to initial that you did witness it on the paperwork. When doing that in the past, I have had them show me the setting on their torque wrench before proceeding. None have minded the extra step.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They have always called me out for the torque. I did NOT initial the part about the oil drain plug, only the tranny and rear end. No worry Greg, I will start working on the real fix as soon as I unload the truck on Tues. I might be goofy but not crazy!!! HEHEHE. Thanks again to EVERYONE for your help and concern. It is an wonderful thing. People I have known for years have often not offered help like I got in here, from people who could be considered "competitors". WOW. Layoutshooter

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok, I may not be the brightest bulb on the string of lights, but how could we be considered competitors? I don't think you would get a load that I wanted, or vice versa, and even if you did, I doubt I'd hold you responsible for my not getting it - I'd blame it on whomever bids the loads.
The only thing I could add to DaveKC's credo is this: human being first, businessperson second, driver third. That's how I spell 'success'. :)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Cheri is right.....I may have to alter that in the future.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cheri IS right, it just seems that those ideals are not always followed as they should be and I was trilled to see that there are still several people that still put people first. Layoutshooter