Dallas follies

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
made the mistake of going back to the j in dallas. there weren't that many vans here before but we're starting to stack up now. at least 3 panthers, a couple prestige units, and some others indeterminate.

anyway, I was lying here trying to sleep, had the hood propped open to keep the engine cool so I could have air conditioning. I'm about 2/3 asleep, when my dog goes crazy and I hear things outside. outside are a couple of disadvantaged yutes. 1 is lowering my hood, and the other is knocking frantically on my window, in a real hurry about something.

it took me a moment to put on my glasses so I could see what was going on. 1 was holding up 2 bottles of powerade, apparently offering them for sale. I shook my head, disinterested. he and the other guy who lowered my hood both ran off to the west into that empty lot.

a couple seconds later, the cop who works security there came out in pursuit. he had seen them talking to me I guess and asked about them. they were out of sight and so he didn't pursue. I was puzzled about the 1 who lowered my hood, so I figured maybe he had stashed something in there to come back for later after the cop was gone, but I looked, and nothing was there.

on a side note, I have been here since sunday without a bid, and now we're stacked up here. there are 11 of us just at the j. I should have left sunday when I was thinking about it. don't come down here if you can help it. save yourselves.

irregularities in the post are due to voice transcription.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
We prefer the bass outdoor world exit 66 or 68 on 30. Quiet and no yutes. Lots of food around and the ta in rock wall down the street. Even the ta in rockwal would be wan upgrade.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
There's a real nice TA by the lake just to the east of Dallas off of I 20. E1 told me yesterday they were having trouble covering loads out of Laredo.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's a real nice TA by the lake just to the east of Dallas off of I 20. E1 told me yesterday they were having trouble covering loads out of Laredo.

When around Dallas I would..if ya can believe it...DH down to Laredo....LOL when I was with E-1...

Actually I;'d go as far as San ant. and get paid to go the rest of the way....the 25 or so bucks almost pays the entire 435 miles....

Falligator

Expert Expediter
When around Dallas I would..if ya can believe it...DH down to Laredo....LOL when I was with E-1...

Actually I;'d go as far as San ant. and get paid to go the rest of the way....the 25 or so bucks almost pays the entire 435 miles....
I'm just stuck here in Charlotte, NC. I've been here since 3am Saturday and if no load by today around 4pm I'm going back north. I'm not waiting til tomorrow when its 101° outside.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm just stuck here in Charlotte, NC. I've been here since 3am Saturday and if no load by today around 4pm I'm going back north. I'm not waiting til tomorrow when its 101° outside.

UGH...DON'T leave Shawn....loads out of Fort Mills SC..it is going to be just as hot anywhere ya go....sit still pal...

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
anyway, I was lying here trying to sleep, had the hood propped open to keep the engine cool so I could have air conditioning. I'm about 2/3 asleep, when my dog goes crazy and I hear things outside. outside are a couple of disadvantaged yutes. 1 is lowering my hood, and the other is knocking frantically on my window, in a real hurry about something.

it took me a moment to put on my glasses so I could see what was going on. 1 was holding up 2 bottles of powerade, apparently offering them for sale. I shook my head, disinterested. he and the other guy who lowered my hood both ran off to the west into that empty lot.

a couple seconds later, the cop who works security there came out in pursuit. he had seen them talking to me I guess and asked about them. they were out of sight and so he didn't pursue. I was puzzled about the 1 who lowered my hood, so I figured maybe he had stashed something in there to come back for later after the cop was gone, but I looked, and nothing was there.

You can bet that they weren't there for YOUR benefit. I'm telling ya, that ain't a good place to be. It doesn't matter if you sleep there 100 times with no trouble, the 1 time that a thug (and his weapon of choice) gets in your vehicle with you, it's gonna be a rough day. I'll drive 50 miles without question to stay away from that area. I have spent a few daylight hours there (and that's questionable) after delivering nearby. But you won't catch me there after dark.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
That's one of the few truck stops we will never stay at again.
When we first started it was one of the first truck stops we stayed at. We were there for 5 days.
We watched the police arrest prostitutes at night and they were back the next morning. We saw crack heads run and slide under the fence. Pan handlers and wheel polishers banging on the door all day. Never again!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
From what I've seen, all of the truckstops along that stretch of I-20 are the same. I won't stay anywhere near the area. The Pilot in Ft.Worth has always been my choice. The TA in Rockwall is good, although I have heard of problems there too. I have never tried it, but I'm told that there is a Love's on I-45 towards Houston that is not very far from I-20 but clean and safe?

existenz

Active Expediter
From what I've seen, all of the truckstops along that stretch of I-20 are the same. I won't stay anywhere near the area. The Pilot in Ft.Worth has always been my choice. The TA in Rockwall is good, although I have heard of problems there too. I have never tried it, but I'm told that there is a Love's on I-45 towards Houston that is not very far from I-20 but clean and safe?

It's fairly nice. There is a weigh station in front of it north bound side, a cargo or freight yard on south bound side,and a gentleman club (i think) next door. But that's it. It's been a while since I've stayed there overnight, but I've stopped there many times, as I live north of Dallas and drove to Houston and back often.
Further north of Dallas, in Allen on 75 is another loves that also is not that bad, and on 35N in denton is a run down TA. I will not stay in or use a truck stop in the Dallas area. Period.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Found a very nicely shaded rest area around mm 38 off of I 77 in-between Charlotte and Statesville. They have grills but no Wi Fi.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Isn't there a new J just south of DFW? We stayed at one a while back with out trouble.. The last few trips we stayed at Rockwall and it was fine. Not found of Dallas or Texas as far as that goes but we have ended up there several times in the last 6-8 weeks. Last time we deadheaded to Houston and then just wandered to Galveston and played in the ocean until a load came in. Made for a nice break away from the asphalt and diesel fumes.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been stuck in Flint since the weekend, LS has no loads and cannot seem to get any on bids either..Oh well still cooler here then Dallas area where I stay.

Even when I was a big truck driver I tried to stay away from the J in Dallas. Always had crime there and always will