Dac report

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I'm looking back over the service paperwork but that still does not absolve them from other issues , I can bear part of this hub issues as I agree that the shop should catch these types of things .

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Back to the original question:
If they abused/neglected the equipment, I guess it's OK to report it. ( Not my style.)
Where are comments from the other fleet owners? Most have probably experienced similar issues.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I use that report in driver screening and I personally think it assists in that capacity . I do however see and hear of malicious information being sent so I will go by a case by case outlook , if I see or read something that concerns me I ask the driver and more often than not the driver claims that most of the info is false or they were never made aware of anything . I've had 2 recent potential drivers admit to it and explain the circumstance for what's on this report , I hired one of them and I applauded his honesty . It's a tool this report but when used in the way it was intended to be used it's very beneficial ...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Every truck that rolls into our shop for a PM gets the hub oil level AND condition checked (metal flakes, water?). If there isn't a wheel sim in the way, this literally takes seconds.

I hate wheel sims, btw.

Should be done on every pre-trip, also.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Every truck that rolls into our shop for a PM gets the hub oil level AND condition checked (metal flakes, water?). If there isn't a wheel sim in the way, this literally takes seconds.

I hate wheel sims, btw.

Should be done on every pre-trip, also.

My new truck had the plastic Crome cover. I took them off today and won't be putting them back on. They look better but I'm not going through that daily to check the hub oil.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I believe it's high. There's often a ring about 3/4" from the pug that says oil level or fill level.
Also the rubber plug should be able to vent pressure.

Yep. It shouldn't run out. In the clear sight window, there's a line that indicates the full mark.

Granted, in this case too much would be a whole lot better than not enough.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Generally 85w gear oil. Easily found about anyplace that sells oil.
Usually in about a 1liter type bottle designed for an easy fill.
If its low, the oil went somewhere. Look at inside of brake drum and shoes.
At first sign of a problem go in for repairs. Its a dangerous situation ready to develop and an immediate OOS of an officer catches it.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
What oil/fluid do I use if they ever are low?

You can over fill it a little which isn't a problem but if you go way over it can cause the oil to leak out of the fill hole and run down the rims which will then spray it all over. It will also look bad to a DOT officer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
And if you have the assembly apart and fill it, it will need to be topped off a time or two as the oil works into the bearings.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Stopped in a Wabash dealer today and noticed a stemco cap with a replaceable window.
This is what I was thinking about. The window has a fill line probably 3/8" from center hole and an add line about 1/4" lower than that.
This was a very standard cap years ago.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
It might have been the cap they showed in the pretrip materials for the state of Louisiana. I have only seen it a couple times since then. It's like a flat piece of glass with a lil 1/2 red plug in the center. It's very easy to see what the level is. My truck had the plug that's 1 1/2 inch almost. It's a very large black plug and difficult to read the level. I actually just took a rag and cleaned the glass and can see through it now!

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
No Oil filler plug means its a GREASE bearing, if it has the clear hub or the Plug its an Oil filled bearing.....they do get discolored but thats the older ones, the new Stemco hubs wont discolor, but you must stop the vehicle and wait a few seconds to check it.....I grab my wheels at the top and pull back and forth, is there a large amnount of give and take, if so your wheel bearings may need replaced or retorqued, and yes you should torque these....if theres any sign of Oil, Dirt collecting on the Hub yes you have a leak....dont over tighten these its cast Aluminum or Plastic....If you smell something HOT, or burning you should stop at once, seals break, lube leaks out, but you should have some warning.....simply placing your hand on the wheel near the hub and seeing if its HOTTER THEN #$%$# or is it the same temp each time, warm...are all the Hubs the same temp....Brakes smoking, surging, grabbing can be a sign of Wheel seal issue and lube on the BRAKES.....any good PM should find this easily....if they really do it !!!!

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Mine are like the black one pictured below. I thought they were the new style. I saw a volvo with the one pictured with the red plug. After some research I think these are the stemco 's y'all are talking about. It was much easier to see the level in the volvo's (redstyle) hubs. ImageUploadedByEO Forums1404793140.907253.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1404793147.997039.jpg

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have NO idea what took place with the drivers in this story. I DO know that at 1030 yesterday morning I was doing a second look at my truck and my wheel was dry, no signs of a seal leaking. I am having a spindle, seal, rear breaks etc done today. The seal failed in route and the damage was done. Stuff happens.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I have NO idea what took place with the drivers in this story. I DO know that at 1030 yesterday morning I was doing a second look at my truck and my wheel was dry, no signs of a seal leaking. I am having a spindle, seal, rear breaks etc done today. The seal failed in route and the damage was done. Stuff happens.

Is there any way to check the rear axle beyond looking for a leak? It's just a solid piece of metal bolted on.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Is there any way to check the rear axle beyond looking for a leak? It's just a solid piece of metal bolted on.

Not that I know of, BUT, if someone knows I am all ears. This is going to be very costly. New bearings, new rear brakes, new spindle, the seal etc., not to mention the labor costs. I would have LOVED to know a way to have seen this coming in advance.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Thats the rear end oil that lubricates the wheel bearings.
Check your rear end level at every pm and look near your U Joints to be sure the pinion seals are not leaking.
Also sometimes the housing, often called a banjo, will crack or leak at a weld.
A lift axle is pretty much the same as your steer axle.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thats the rear end oil that lubricates the wheel bearings.
Check your rear end level at every pm and look near your U Joints to be sure the pinion seals are not leaking.
Also sometimes the housing, often called a banjo, will crack or leak at a weld.
A lift axle is pretty much the same as your steer axle.

It was just checked, and fixed, a month ago. The rear end housing had a crack in it and it was leaking. We had that welded. That repair was fine. It was a wheel seal that gave out. I am going to have the other side replaced, a preemptive strike so to speak.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Joe, I know you don't feel lucky, buy you are.
Back when I was a rookie we didn't have mobile axle repair men.
It often meant removing and often replacing the entire axle housing.