D5261 Forced Retirement

treeman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I recieved a regisrtered letter from FedEx CC the other day. Due to the age of my truck they are terminating my lease. The truck was inspected and approved by FedEx in November. Now as of March 15th it is no longer worthy to wear the FedEx logo. Not due to break-downs or poor looks or low acceptance rates or availability. I was told when I started there were age limits imposed on trucks,but I was also told I would make big money if I kept up my availability. Obviously only one of these statements has turned out to be true.If the other were,I would have no problem buying another truck. I keep hearing of (and have met some) guys who have lost thier trucks or wound up going bankrupt in this business. Why would they be so willing to lose someone who is making it? Are there that many willing souls out there to take my place that they dont care? I would understand if the truck were not kept up. If the paint was bad or the truck was rusty or maintenence was not regularly performed,it was prone to break-down or wouldnt pass inspection.The truck just passed a NYS heavy-duty inspection in January,and a DOT in September.It's not a bad looking truck either.I have been able to do alright,not getting rich,but paying the bills and putting food on the table.Things have been slow the past couple of years, and I don't try to assign blame for that on anyone.It's just the way it is, but I am finding it very difficult to justify the cost and payment associated with a new (used) truck. I've read posts telling people they didn't run thier business well and that's why the didn't make it,but I feel sorry for those guys. They were led to the slaughter,paying way too much for straight trucks with sleepers,and high interest on financing,pushed by promises of big money. Well I don't think I would be running my business too well if I went out and bought a new truck I didn't need. Maybe there should be other criteria for terminating a truck. It seems rather arbitrary that on March 14th I can accept and deliver a load,but come midnight, The truck is no longer serviceable. I don't think 6 months prior warning of this impending termination is unreasonable either. When FedEx inspected the truck in Nov. I was very much under the impression I was OK for another year. Maybe its because it was busier in Nov. and trucks were not expendable. But now that it has slowed down again it's time to get the axe. I know of some companies that replace a certain number of trucks every six years, no matter what. That has something to do with taxes, depreciation etc;, but these are BIG companies. What small businessman is going to arbitrarily replace equipment,with no regard to that equipments performance? There is no doubt that we work, not only for ourselves,but to make money for the company we are leased to. We have to do our part to make sure this relationship is profitable for both parties, but to uneccessarily impose an expense like this on someone is not right. Oh well, got to go. Got alot of thinking and figuring to do. Im intersted in other's thoughts and comments. take care...KG

boboxbo

Expert Expediter
Hi treeman

I agree with your points and am sorry that the company

is too stupid to realize we would like to stay in bussiness

too. I can't do anything for you but offer my sympathy.

Good luck on whatever decision you make.

boboxbo

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV; but I'm not going to let that stop me. I do remember a couple of BIG words I heard a while
back: Arbitrary & Capricious, I think both apply to your situation.
If the comments about an "age" limit on trucks was verbal, I don't think that makes those comments a part of your contract. If you are
forced to "retire" because of this situation, you will have an opportunity to aggravate FedEx no end. If you have a lawyer friend,
ask him about those aforementioned words, and see if he will play
along with you. At least you could be a "burr" under their saddle.
Best wishes for your future, whether in expediting, or not.}> }>

treeman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for the advice and good will. I don't think I would consider a lawyer in this matter. First they have much deeper pockets than I do, and besides, I don't want to work for a company that doesn't want me. I'm going to call again and try and get them to change thier mind, maybe I can get someone to see things my way. You never know! Maybe if I explain that terminating my contract will put me out business they will review with sympathy! How's that for a new policy? REVIEW WITH SYMPATHY....I like it!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Rather than fight with a company that doesn't want your truck, why not lease it on with some other company that does? Many of the smarter companies are realizing that truck age does not matter so long as the thing works. Also, as far as the looks of the truck go, bottom line is that doesn't really matter either as long as it's not a shabby rustbucket. Most shippers and consignees only see the inside of the truck's box.
-Weave-

gingerbreadman

Expert Expediter
I was with fedex for a time also . Maybe the reason they dont want a truck over 5 yrs is that it is paid for. They seem to like it if you have a payment hanging over youre head, wich in turn in fedex eyes makes you a little more motivated to run the truck. Just my thought, thanks:) :)

Sasquatch

Expert Expediter
Hello " Murphys law" Fed Ex style== Broker thru FXLog.= Starve Truck revenues(family @ all cost) = force truck OOS=sign new applicate using words like BIG BUCKS=REPEAT Murphys Law!! Been There/ Witnessed that!!

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
THE LAST THING I WOULD DO IS CALL THAT SORRY WANNABE EXPEDITING COMPANY AND BEG FOR MORE TIME. I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU OR YOUR TRUCK BUT I CAN TELL YOU WERE NOT WHITE GLOVE. THEY ARE TRYING TO PHASE OUT THE NON-WHITE-GLOVE EQUIPPED TRUCKS. 2 WEEKS AGO, I SAW A 1994(I ASKED THE GUY WHAT YEAR IT WAS) GMC TOPKICK. IT WAS THE MOST RUSTED, TORE-UP PIECE OF CRAP I'VE EVER SEEN. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT? IT HAD A REEFER, LIFT GATE, AND IM SURE ALL THE PADS, STRAPS, DOLLIES, AND PALLET JACKS IN THE BACK. OH, AND BY THE WAY, IT HAD FEDEX CC DECALS ON IT. WHY IS IT OKAY FOR WHITE GLOVE TO RUN THESE OLD UNITS, BUT NOT OKAY FOR THE EXPRESS GUYS. BECAUSE THESE TRUCKS MAKE THEM MORE MONEY, AND THEY ARE HARDER TO GET. LUCKILY, WE(MY WIFE AND I) LEFT THAT SO-CALLED EXPEDITING COMPANY A YEAR AGO, AND OUR KICKING OURSELVES IN THE BUTT FOR NOT LEAVING SOONER. WHAT A JOKE. I FEEL SORRY FOR PEOPLE THAT ARE WITH THEM AND FEEL THEY ARE STUCK. YOU ARE NOT STUCK..GRAB THOSE TRUCKS AND GO TO A COMPANY THAT TREATS YOU LIKE A PERSON, AND MAKES MONEY AT THE SAME TIME. GOOD LUCK!!

murphys_law

Expert Expediter
Treeman,

i can understand your frustration with your truck's retirement, particularly if the truck is in good shape. i don't want to sound like i don't care, but you did admit to being aware of the trucks life with fedex, so this should come as no surprise.

i don't suggest this lightly because moving is always a hassle, but as others have posted, why not just take your truck to another company that will run it? if, as you say, things have been slow for you at fedex for the last couple of years, why not check out some other companies?

zingfu25,

do you have some kind of agenda in bad-mouthing fedex again and again? you have stated a few times that you left that company a year ago, but you seem to be on some kind of crusade to rag on them. is this a self-appointed mission or were you selected by a committee to be the fedex basher?

or, are you a corporate monkey with another company, and this is your recruiting scam?

i've known a few fedex white glove drivers and they seem to be happy with their income, and ihave known even more fedex--express drivers who have made it. it seems that you had some real issues with the company and just couldn't seem to make it work for you. since it has been a year since you've been gone, why not get over it????!!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey there is no need to bash this guy,for someone who has been a member of the forum for about 2 weeks you seem to know a lot about him.
Granted FDX CC puts a time limit on a trucks life with them,however performance rather then age should be the major factor as too whether or not a truck stays on.If proper maintenance is done and the truck passes DOT inspections, why not allow a contractor to put a few bucks away instead of giving the money to a Bank or Transportation Credit Type Agency. For what it!s worth TREEMAN I feel your pain..Good Luck

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
Murphy's law,
I'm so sorry...lol..I offended you and FDCC. But you may not know, being a new member and all, that this is an open forum. If I choose to let other drivers in on FACTS that I know about from working for them. I CAN AND WILL! I am not the only one in here who gives their opinions about them. And no..I am not a recruiter for another expediting company. I have met Lawrence at the EXPEDITE EXPO and he knows that I am just an O/O. I have also chatted with other O/O's in the chat rooms on Sunday nights and they all know I'm not a recruiter. So please give it up. You are obviously new to FDCC like you are in here. I'll even make your day. Here goes: (If it sounds like your orientation with them, sorry, I'm doing my best). READY? Here we go....YES MR.MURPHY'S LAW, YOU WILL MAKE $20,000 A MONTH WITH US, WE WILL NOT LIE TO YOU, WE WILL NOT DISPATCH AROUND YOU BECAUSE THE DVA WILL NOT ALLOW IT. THIS IS A FOOLPROOF SYSYEM WE ARE RUNNING HERE. THERE WILL BE NO SLOW MONTHS. WE WANT YOU TO BE IN SERVICE 95% OF THE TIME SO WE DONT HAVE TO RECRUIT MORE TRUCKS. WE HAVE AN "OPEN DOOR" POLICY HERE, YOU ARE WELCOME ANYTIME.
There,hope I made your day by telling you everything you wanted to hear and not bashing FDCC. Have a good one!

Sasquatch

Expert Expediter
way to go Z25 but you left out all those loads canceled while you were in route to load, canceled by fxlog. and sold out from under you..to competitors--i know you know, i'm just making the point to the newbee...no upper case here, so softly spoken..so tender...ps. we are running alot of fedx loads over here while they(fxlog.) compete against their own fxcc trucks, go figure newbee!! see the power of the internet exposes the truth eventually.

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
I know thats right Sasquatch. Yes, there were many more things I could've said but I believe I made my point..lol. Take Care, all of you, and do something fun this weekend to get your mind off those dang fuel prices.

treeman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Murphy, I'm not surprised,but yes frustrated. I never made the money I was told to expect,and have realized and accepted that I am only a number to a large company. Obviously things have changed alot in the last few years.Less freight to haul and significantly higher fuel rates to contend with,and no rate increases to the truck that I have seen. It seems,however that FedEx's rules are flexible when it suits them,or I should say benifits them. Keeping this truck on would do them no harm. As I said, if there was an issue with maintenance,dependibility or appearance,I would understand,and even agree. This is unfortunatly a gross example of the company making thier profits off the backs of and at the expense of the people who work for them with no regard or personal interest. Lack of freight and high fuel prices are not FedEx's fault,of course,but where's the humanity? As long as they are able to dupe new people into comming to work for them,loyalty to thier present owner-operators is not neccessary and will not be seen.I am not a FedEx basher. For the most part I have been satisfied with the relationship I have had with them. As with any company or any job there have been times of frustration or disagreement, but I have been able to contend with these. This issue,however has no room for compromise on my part,and they apparently are not willing to do so on thier part. They hold all the cards on this one.I have come to the decision that losing this contract,as far as FedEx is concerned, will put me out of business,and I have seen absolutely no compassion on thier part. Let this be a warning or lesson to anyone considering leasing with them. When the chips are down,don't even bother calling Akron,your concerns will fall on deaf ears. I asked my contractor relations person,Bonnie(who has always been very nice) and she said she checked and the answer is they will not extend my lease. I have tried to contact Scott McCahan,the senior manager of safety and contractor relations,and also the guy who signed the letter I got,and he has not returned my calls. Maybe he's out of town.I guess the best thing to do is take your advice and try to get on with another company. Maybe compete with FedEx with the truck they rejected! Just don't believe any of that "FedEX family" stuff they try to sell. When your time is up,thats it.