Curious with lots of questions part 2

nightshift

Expert Expediter
First let me say that it's nice to find a site that seems to focus on answering questions instead of putting people down. I'm a member of another trucking board (concentrating mainly on OTR freight hauling) that I really like but it took forever to find it and now it seems I've found another one that is as good (I won't mention the name of the other board unless asked to respect the owners/moderators of this board). Okay now to why I'm here.

I've been driving OTR for about 15 months now in a KW T-2000 with a 72" condo sleeper pulling a 53' dry van. I like driving and I'm earning a fairly good living but I've been looking at the expediting world and wonder if it's the way to go. I'm a solo driver but my wife rides with me and is interested in going to school and getting her Class A CDL, now for the hard part, the questions.

What are the typical freight lanes? I'd be interested in driving a straight truck with at least a 72" sleeper.

What is the normal time out? I typically stay out 3 weeks at a shot, sure I'd love a job that I could be home on weekends but that's not always a reality.

What are the avg miles per week that I'd be looking at? Right now my avg for the past year is in the 2700 to 2800 miles per week.

What are the best areas to live in to get into the expediting world? We currently live in Raleigh, NC and I don't plan on moving anytime soon and if I do move it would be farther south.
Due to technical difficulties beyond the control of the original poster (me) or the moderators I am reposting the original post. Seriously, the post was accidently removed and I was notified by the moderator so I could repost it, that reinforces my opinion that this is a good site, some would have let me just think it had gone away without letting me know why, thanks.
In expedited freight are the trip times reasonable? What I mean is do they give you enough time to make the runs legally or do you have to perform miracles to get the loads delivered on time. I try to run legal because I value my CDL, I know this limits the miles that I could get but in the long run it's cheaper then the fines or loss of my CDL.

How do I find a O/O that would hire me and possibly allow me to train my wife after she goes through school so we could go from a solo to a team operation. I'd rather drive for someone initially then get my own truck. We are very interested in having our own truck but I'd rather be sure of what I'm doing before making such a large investment.

OK, I'll stop there for now and ask more later.

:D