Cube Van Question

Loose_Cannon47

Expert Expediter
Anyone using cube vans or whatever it is you call those van/box combinations? Seems you could make a large "B" and still have plenty of room for a sleeper...I don't know if you can buy one that would meet "C" specs...probably not dock heighth...

Loose

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
Most companies won't sign them. They are over 10,000 gvw and you need to have a sleeper and log. The small single wheel ones like Ryder and U-Haul rent would work out alright because the gvw is under 10K

Most places just want vans/sprinters or C units. There is not a lot of grey area inbetween.

Loose_Cannon47

Expert Expediter
Thanks, Merk...I hadn't seen much mention of them...just seemed like something that ought to work...I guess the fact that nobody seems to be using them in this field pretty well sums it up...

Loose

M A WEBSTER

Expert Expediter
You can get a cubevan for expediting. I have been checking into them. Supreme Corp out of Goshen,IN. You can get a 1ton Chevy gas engine. Dull wheels 159" wheel base with a 15ft box GVW 10,000lbs. Curb weight nothing in it but a full fuel tank 7100lbs.Panther says they will put them on bot only 10,000 and under.RINKE GMC at Van :censoredsign:/696 in Sterling Hights MI has a lot of them on site, I think they run around $24,000 w/gas engine. Hope this info helps

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
If your looking for a cube van go for the unicell body, the gas mileage is alot better. I drive one at my work, with 226,000 miles and still gets 11 to 12 when the van bodies from supreme only get 9 to 10. Our company does alot of local deliveries so I am not sure about highway mileage.

AmericanLaw

Seasoned Expediter
There are a few guys on here with Aerocell "cubes" that swear by them. If I didn't already have a van payment I would probably go with an Aerocell.

The Law

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Yep!

Aerocell will build the length to your specifications.

I just had some ECM updates on my 2008 Chevrolet Dual Rear Wheel with an Aerocell body and pulled 16.1 mpg's.

Go to truck talk and look at the pics. The post is "Rev's Ride".

It may give you some ideas regarding a sleeper space.

twinpopusa

Seasoned Expediter
Panther recruiter told me they won't put ANY size cube vans on. They have to be a cargo van or Sprinter. But then again, who knows...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have been toying with the idea of a cube van for the past year or so. I have visited the websites of Supreme, Baybridge, Rockport and others. I can not find a company that offers a SRW built on G.M.'s 155 inch wheelbase.

I prefer the longer wheelbase for ride quality and load placement. I want to stay away from the dual rear wheels. I have also noticed that the SRW models are made of fiberglass reinforced panels (FRP) while most of the DRW boxes are skin and post.

What gives????

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
moot

looking at the chev cutaway chassis the 139 is the srw. both the 159 and 177 are drw. you could alwys take 2 tires off and use them as spares.:D

the 139 can be had with gvrw of 9600/12,300 lbs. the 159 is 10k /12,300. max payload for the 139 is 5072 and 5152 for the 159. brochure does not state the weight for the chassis.

tire size for the 139 is 16 x 6.5 and 16 x 6.0 for the 159 and 177.

the 139wb has a bed lth of148.5" and the 159wb is 168.5

twinpop,

most recruiters have no idea what an aerocell is. i have talked to a couple and they know the generic phrase cube van but not the specific aerocell. gotta send them a picture if the spam filter will allow it to get thru.

Last edited:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
It seems to me there is no comparison between a "Cube Van" and a "Aerocell" other then each may offer more cargo space then a Cargo Van. An "Aerocell" is Aerodynamic a "Cube Van" is a CUBE, close to a square box, there is no way in the world you can push a box down the highway as easily as something with round edges.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
looking at the chev cutaway chassis the 139 is the srw. both the 159 and 177 are drw. you could alwys take 2 tires off and use them as spares.:D

The problem with the DRW is the width. I would like to stay under 78" inside width. 76" would be perfect.

twinpopusa

Seasoned Expediter
I'd just go with an 06 used GMC Penske van, but who I am with now, Panther, won't let me put it on. I know their gas mileage sucks, but for 15 or 16 grand, the lower payment might make that manageable. Maybe one of those fiberglass spoilers on the cab roof would add 1 MPG?

alhomsi20

Seasoned Expediter
Hi, I own a 06 GMC Cube van and i talked to somebody at panther today and he said its good to go. I see on here though that there are people who couldnt get leased on with panther because panther told them they arent accepting cube vans?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The majority of this post is almost 2 yrs old...things change...just ask those that voted for barry....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi, I own a 06 GMC Cube van and i talked to somebody at panther today and he said its good to go.
Can you provide some vehicle specs; DRW or SRW, body manufacturer, rear door type, length, width, wheelbase, tare weight, GVWR and anything else you care to share. Did you lease this on with Panther?

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
was at the j in laredo and saw a bolt ex-penske truck. call anne m in recruiting. maybe you can get sprinter pay for the serocell. when i signed the hcv on with e-1 they had no idea what i was talking about. recruiter recruit. drivers are interested in trucks. try emailing a pic if you have to get someones attention.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I've got one for sale if you want a Ford with a liftgate. We used it regionally, but I'm liquidating some of my assets, as we aren't using it so much these days. E-450. It will haul 5K. :)