Cruise Ship communication

moose

Veteran Expediter
Need to know what are the options for Internet and cell phone service while on a cruise ship leaving Miami later on this month .

(I'm not the one cruising , Gee's , me in a swim suit will scare the fish away...)

fortwayne

Not a Member
Moose, my sister went last year on a ship for a cruise and she told me she was able to add the service to her current carrier which i don't know who she has. she also told me that the ship itself offered both services as well.
you in a bathing suit?
would that be good for any fish, dolphin or human?
then again who am i too speak..........

greg334

Veteran Expediter
All cruise ships have phone services and most if not all have WiFi access - most have had some form of phone service since the '80s.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They all have the service but it will be pricey from the ship. We usually will wait until you hit a port and call from there. Just have your cell set to international. Most plans are pretty reasonable.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Thanks a lot ,
the couple boarding the ship come from the UK , there for have no US service that can be used on the cruise .
and yes they got the service from the ship , but it is way pricey.
and the international plans , well ,we all know they worth just about nothing.
so we are looking for something like a GO-Phone or alike .
i think i will tell them to get a Go Phone at the airport , and see how long it will last , and tell them to use it while the ship is parked.
frankly i do not understand the point of getting on a cruise if you stay connected...
searching the internet we did not find any , and i thought , since Expediters do so well in past few years ,that this is the right place to ask...

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Any place other than U.S. territories, will be considered international calls. if you are in the U.S.V.I ( St. Thomas, St. Johns, etc ) calls will be as if you were on the mainland.

dogshed

Seasoned Expediter
My first question is, why would you want to call anyone on a cruise ship? If it's an emergency dial 911. That's my attitude on vacation.

I live in Korea and the international rates on my Sprint phone were wacko $2 or $3 per minute.

I use yahoo messenger and with a US address and a US credit card it lets me call anywhere in the US for one cent per minute.

I don't know if the satellite internet on a cruise ship will work well with an internet phone, but maybe you can find an internet cafe in the ports.

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
Skype.....much cheaper to take a laptop with a headset/mic along with you and is just pennies per minute anywhere in the world. Very easy to use. Internet access has not cost us much on ships...even in greek isles

-charlee

Last edited: