Cruise Control in a Construction Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Turtle,

I would daresay you have single handedly chased more people away from EO than anyone. It surprises me that the people that have an issue with ATeam do not have an issue with you.

Why must you spout so much rhetoric and garbage in an intense effort to prove you are right?

You are only right in your opinion and you know what they say about those.

While you may be a bit of a self taught GEEK...you have enough bs spouting to make some of us laugh and just share our thoughts about your knowledge in pm's.

YOU really are more of a message board bully.....we picture you huddled over your pc searching google and dogpile for keywords to bolster your many times flawed arguments. The peole who could really chew you up and spit you out do not think that you are worth the effort.

And before you come back with some nonsense about me responding to your post etc.....I have simply because MAYBE you will stop and sit back and think about WHY you need to be right so bad and change someone elses opinion that you never know when to stop.

A little bit of your opinion will go a lot furthur than your overwrought expositions do.

That you would choose to post such thoughts, rather than send a PM, says more about why folks are "afraid" to post here than your gossipy allegations, IMO.
If you believe Turtle's arguments are "flawed", as you say, the mature response would be to refute the argument. To attack the poster [particularly out of left field, as you did], is just childish and uncalled for. If you don't enjoy Turtle's posts, DON'T READ THEM.
PS I would have thought the reason you rarely post here is due to your announcement [years ago & under a different name, of course] that you were leaving EO because it just wasn't worth your time - had I posted that, I'd keep a pretty low profile, too.

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cruise control is a wonderful and beneficial tool. But it must be used properly. Only a fool would engage cruise control in bad weather and on wet or snow covered roads; equally so – only a fool would engage cruise control in a construction zone. :eek:

termite289

Expert Expediter
those who are too dumb to figure out how the vehicle they drive works, shouldnt be driving it commercially, this includes, cruise control, indeferintial lock, tandem sliding, water valves for heat and ac, slack adjusters, so forth, and so on.
id rather not make a bung of new laws, because we decided to let some idiots drive.
thank you and have a nice day.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
those who are too dumb to figure out how the vehicle they drive works

Termite, don't take this wrong but are you frickn' kidding me?

I still can't believe the pre-trip for the CDL is so light. It amazes me that someone can't adjust brakes or know when there is a serious issue like no oil "I saw oil on the dip stick while the engine was running". I understand the partnership of some where one is a techno-geek and the other is a financial wiz but us solos we should know how to change a fan belt and bulbs.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
.....only a fool would engage cruise control in a construction zone. :eek:

Care to elaborate why you have this opinion.

Sure, setting your cruise control to run let's say 55MPH, if that's the speed limit for that CZ, when there are dozens of hard hats 3 feet on the other side of a concrete barrier or orange cones is "unsafe", "stupid", and "foolish". I have enough common sense to be more "alert" (on my toes) to not run the CC in situations like this.

But let's say you're running I-20 between Ft Worth towards Abilene. That interstate in notorious for blocking off one lane of the road for 15-20 miles while only working on 1/2 a mile at a time. You could easily go the first 12 miles in that CZ before you ever see a hard hat, and then go another 8 miles to the end of the CZ not seeing another hard hat whatsoever. I see no problem whatsoever running your CC for 19 miles of that 20 CZ, especially when there could easily be a State Trooper or a "Barney Fife" out there just itching to bring in more revenue to their little city that just happens to be sitting within that CZ area.

Happens all the time on I-45 between Dallas and Houston. I-45 is always under construction also. I-45 is also blocked down to 1 lane for 10-15 mile stretches while they only work on it 1/2 a mile at time. Those little towns down 45 (Alma, Rice, Streetland, etc) that have that 2 Cop Police force make their cities budgets off of speeders on 45, and double their budgets when they catch speeders in construction zones.

Have I ever ran my CC on I-80 while traveling the south side of Chicago in all that CZ crap?? Not only NO, but Hell NO!! Have I ever ran with my CC on running I-65 between Louisville and Nashville in all that CZ crap?? Again, Hell NO!

So, everyone does have a certain opinion over it. One for thing for sure, it is not illegal to run with your CC on in CZ's. "Unsafe", "Stupid", or "Foolish" all fall under ones opinion while my opinion is that it really depends on the individual drivers abilities and the surroundings he is in while driving through that CZ.

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

Sure, setting your cruise control to run let's say 55MPH, if that's the speed limit for that CZ, when there are dozens of hard hats 3 feet on the other side of a concrete barrier or orange cones is "unsafe", "stupid", and "foolish". I have enough common sense to be more "alert" (on my toes) to not run the CC in situations like this. .

It was this type of situation that I had in mind when making my comment.

But let's say you're running I-20 between Ft Worth towards Abilene. That interstate in notorious for blocking off one lane of the road for 15-20 miles while only working on 1/2 a mile at a time. You could easily go the first 12 miles in that CZ before you ever see a hard hat, and then go another 8 miles to the end of the CZ not seeing another hard hat whatsoever. I see no problem whatsoever running your CC for 19 miles of that 20 CZ, especially when there could easily be a State Trooper or a "Barney Fife" out there just itching to bring in more revenue to their little city that just happens to be sitting within that CZ area..

Your are correct, and I would not fault anyone using cruise control in the situation as you have described it above.

So, everyone does have a certain opinion over it. One for thing for sure, it is not illegal to run with your CC on in CZ's. "Unsafe", "Stupid", or "Foolish" all fall under ones opinion while my opinion is that it really depends on the individual drivers abilities and the surroundings he is in while driving through that CZ.

Fool or foolish was my choice of words to describe what I view as a poor choice in the very first scenerio you described. Perhaps I could have used another word. My intent was to offer my opinion in the forum, not to offend.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter

Sure, setting your cruise control to run let's say 55MPH, if that's the speed limit for that CZ, when there are dozens of hard hats 3 feet on the other side of a concrete barrier or orange cones is "unsafe", "stupid", and "foolish". I have enough common sense to be more "alert" (on my toes) to not run the CC in situations like this.

But let's say you're running I-20 between Ft Worth towards Abilene. That interstate in notorious for blocking off one lane of the road for 15-20 miles while only working on 1/2 a mile at a time. You could easily go the first 12 miles in that CZ before you ever see a hard hat, and then go another 8 miles to the end of the CZ not seeing another hard hat whatsoever. I see no problem whatsoever running your CC for 19 miles of that 20 CZ, especially when there could easily be a State Trooper or a "Barney Fife" out there just itching to bring in more revenue to their little city that just happens to be sitting within that CZ area.

Happens all the time on I-45 between Dallas and Houston. I-45 is always under construction also. I-45 is also blocked down to 1 lane for 10-15 mile stretches while they only work on it 1/2 a mile at time. Those little towns down 45 (Alma, Rice, Streetland, etc) that have that 2 Cop Police force make their cities budgets off of speeders on 45, and double their budgets when they catch speeders in construction zones.

Have I ever ran my CC on I-80 while traveling the south side of Chicago in all that CZ crap?? Not only NO, but Hell NO!! Have I ever ran with my CC on running I-65 between Louisville and Nashville in all that CZ crap?? Again, Hell NO!

You surely seem to understand what I've tried to explain to these meatheads (yes I'm name calling! LOL) I choose to operate my cruise simular to you, and do so safely. Even when it malfunctioned a month or so back. Once it malfunctioned the smart thing to do is not us it until it was repaired, and thats exactly what we did.

Why is it that certain members of this forum can't just read another's opinion on using or not using their CC in a CZ and quitely think to themselves I would never do that . Instead they feel they must call the poster names ( unsafe,stupid, foolish, etc)?

What does it take for some people on here to finally figure out that when you attack certain members on this forum, they are going to fight back and go for the jugular? Would it not be best for the community as a whole not to provoke those you know will fight to the death (retorically speaking)? You all know by now I am one of those who aint afraid to stand up to your out of line comments and throw it right back at you. All of us that engage in this are doing this forum a disservice when we allow this to happen. But I truely believe we ALL have informative, interesting, fun, truthful, etc stories and topics to post. It would be nice if we could ALL do it in a more civil manner in the future. Any takers?

Last edited:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Perhaps I could have used another word. My intent was to offer my opinion in the forum, not to offend.

Oh No!! No offense taken, OK!! Your post was a "blanket" post saying "only a fool would engage cruise control in a construction zone", and since many here have confessed to using their CC in CZ's, I was just trying to get more opinions as to why some think it is wrong.

....and I am also quite sure others appreciate you not saying something like "YOU are a FOOL for engaging your CC in a CZ" as one certain member said such a similar statement to another member in the thread that was locked down last night. Many here have a problem saying stuff exactly like this causing trouble amongst members in these conversations, then denying it, then whining to ADMIN when the conversation heads south because of what they said.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Man, this forum is getting worse than the Soapbox is!!! :eek:

Thats why I just posted what I did. We can clean it up and make it fun like it was years ago. You just have to want to do it.
I'm willing to be one of those takers, but won 't be the only one!

I do have to wonder who the winer was that got the other post locked. I was just getting started! LOL Just kidding! Its a joke.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thats why I just posted what I did. We can clean it up and make it fun like it was years ago. You just have to want to do it.

Just breath some helium, that will lighten you up!!! :p

Deville

Not a Member

I do have to wonder who the winer was that got the other post locked. I was just getting started! LOL Just kidding! Its a joke.

I was wondering that too. It wasn't me. I could go back & forth all day long.

As far as using the CC in a construction area, I guess it depends on the road conditions & the load that your carrying.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Thanks for the links and info folks. Didnt realize it was that simple to add!

I think this issue has been beat enuff, and all sides expressed. Lets move on, thanks.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.