Covert a class 8 tractor to straight truck

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Can you register for the next higher weight class? What I mean is this:

Andrew says he has a 24k truck empty. Can I register for higher to meet my carrier's 13k# requirement for my size truck?

Andrew0580

Seasoned Expediter
My freightliner is a twin screw and I have it registered at 52000. As long as you have a drop axle or second drive axle sure you can up your weight.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the reply, Andrew.

My only holdup is finding someone to stretch a sleeper. I want it all.

guido4475

Not a Member
No not really Guido but the guy doing the level 1 may look at your sticker and wonder about it too. It's the sticker that seems to rule.

That situation did arise while getting dot'd for the first time at the scales on 70 in MO just east of Oak Grove.We were in the barn, and he was underneath the truck and he made the comment that with as much arch that was in my front springs, and the amount of weight I had on the front, he said he had to beleive me, as well as the receipts for the springs and the front end work as well.It looked kind of funny, the front end being a little higher than the rear, because we couldnt find the correct spacer block to go between the spring and axle at the time we were doing the work.But I was close to the limit of the tire carrying capacity as well.Ironically, it rode really nice, I was surprised.I kept my truck plated under 49,000 gvw to avoid having to pay the heavy vehicle use tax in Ohio.

guido4475

Not a Member
Can you register for the next higher weight class? What I mean is this:

Andrew says he has a 24k truck empty. Can I register for higher to meet my carrier's 13k# requirement for my size truck?

I think each state is differnt on their rule sregarding that. It amy be a good idea to check with your license bureau and see what they say, or even the dot.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I have heard this before -

"I went and got my plates. I have it registered for 42K, now I can carry heavy cargo."

I asked "what's the truck rated for?"

"ah... I don't know I think 32k"

The thing about registration doesn't give anyone a pass on the actual ratings of the truck. You have to be careful if you register it at say 42k and your truck is rated for 32k, when you hit the scales with a single axle truck and it tops 34K total weight (21k empty weight plus 13k cargo weight), then there may be an issue with the people in the station regardless what the registration says.

Get a second axle or a drop axle to carry the weight.