Could this be done?

zanico

Expert Expediter
I posted this on the Newbie forum but didn't get a responce, so I thought I would try it here.

I've been thinking about getting into the business. I have a job now that I've been at for over 22 yrs., I hate to just leave it without knowing if this is right for me. Would it be a good idea to get my own authority for Ohio, where I live, Indiana, Michigan and Kentucky. Then go on the load boards and get freight only when I have some time, such as vacations. This way I can keep my current job and ease into the expedite business. I have 5 weeks vacation. Would this be a do-able idea?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No. There have been previous inquiries about this. Read back at least one year in general, newbies and recruiter forums to build a basic foundation of expediting knowledge. You're looking at thousands of dollars a year in costs for authority, insurance etc. which you can't cover expediting now and then as a hobby. You can't avoid the costs by signing on with an established company because there are costs of carrying you on the books that they can't accept for someone to make a run every now and then. The only possibility I can see right off is to find someone who will take you along for 2 or 3 weeks of your vacation time so you can observe and hopefully determine if this is for you or not.

I'd suggest looking for attitudinal adjustment opportunities to again like that job giving you 5 weeks paid vacation plus most likely paid holidays and benefits as well as being home in your stationary bed every night. Expediting can be an excellent career if you can run your own business and if this lifestyle speaks to you. A job with benefits and several weeks paid time off annually as well as 104 Saturdays and Sundays off is nothing to sneeze at either. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.