Cops

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't even want to think about it. Blacked-out brake lights, probably a tinted cover over the license plate, white lights visible to the rear--- all violations. But it looks cool.

OK, save it for the beach when you're girl chasing. Professionally, better stick with DOT regs. Why give them cause to pull you over? Once they do, they might decide to do a full-metal safety check on you, and you never know what they're going to find. The vehicle hasn't been built that can pass a safety check if the trooper has made up his mind to find something.

Last edited:

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Well....Not in this Case. Seems OP did run out of fuel at one time here....................

Now that's Funny....No matter how you look at it.:)

I think it's happened twice.

Painting safety equipment is not something that might happen to us. That is deliberate.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Zane, you must show RED taillights and brakelights.. I have seen many with designs over part... but you must show red.. eventually you will get the cop who decides to make an example of you.

My advice, if you want to show the custom touch, clean all the black off.. then mask some letters or something, do an MX stacked going down the lens with masking tape, then black around that.. pull off the tape, you got red MX glowing, or design, whatever.. some do Chevy bowties, Dodge Ram cutouts , etc...

I'm all for custom stuff... in my day it would have been glasspack dual exhaust.. LOL..remember.. white forward, red back... anything else, eventually you'll get a ticket.. get enough, no $$.

Dale

UncleTed

Not a Member
Im 22 n drive a van. My friends are in trucks on 22s i gotta do somethin so the girls atleast wave back lol esp on the nights i have to drive the crew. Lol is that good enough excuse?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

So..............you are able to pick up girls based on the color of your tail lights? Must be some real bright ones out there. (the girls, not the tail lights). The only women I know of who would go for that are are a certain type of "reptile" and then only if there is $20 in the deal.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Wow.. you guys must have never cruised.... never put chrome wheels, sidepipes, hood scoops, etc... or for the other generations.. moon discs, lake pipes, dual antennas, flame throwers, etc... part for speed, part to attract girls...

This is the newer way of doing stuff.. blacked out, neon glow, spinners wheels, 20 dubs, thumping stereos, etc. Let's give the kid a break, he's just trying to combine both worlds while he takes a break from getting paid to fly sideways thru the air on two wheels!

hodges.jpg

That 933 looks very familiar.... amazing what you can find on Google!

... then again, maybe all of you have been on TV competing in nationally televised events ....... just sayin..

Not all of us come from the same background...

Dale

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I have no problem with him pimp'n (personalizing) his van. My problem starts when that pensonalization affects others safety.

when it comes to lighting DOT certified is the ONLY way to go.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I have no problem with him pimp'n (personalizing) his van. My problem starts when that pensonalization affects others safety.

when it comes to lighting DOT certified is the ONLY way to go.

Yep, but he's learning still. Unlike so many others who come here, I've yet to see him say "screw you guys, I'm doing it my way".. he's finding his balance.

On the street, more leeway with personalizing .. he's just gotta learn what the DOT/HP will target...

Dale

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Something to think about is sharing the road. Doing anything that changes the visibility of your vehicle isn't the best idea. We share the road with guys who's IQ's barely exceed the number of thousand pounds capacity of their vehicle, i.e. 80. I've seen vehicles with "black" tail lights that are almost truly blacked out until the brakes are applied and then are still dimmer than standard tail lights.

Combined with the aforementioned people's propensity for following too close it's a crash looking for somewhere to happen. I don't want a semi climbing through the back doors for any reason, especially for a need to feel cool. I wouldn't even go with Dale's suggestion, although it is a better idea than the full blacked out treatment, because it still is a safety reducer. Keep on with things like the fine looking wheel treatment and other things that don't reduce your safety level.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Yep, but he's learning still. Unlike so many others who come here, I've yet to see him say "screw you guys, I'm doing it my way".. he's finding his balance.

Dale

......Honestly, He's starting to grow on me too.

Sure, at first, most of us were thinking "Who's this idiot bouncing around here??" cause of the stuff he was posting. Hell, he even sent me a PM asking "What did I do wrong????" Of which I ignored. (I usually ignore most of my PM's anyway cause 1/2 of 'em are from people wanting to argue "Off" the board)

Now, he's kind of grown into that Cute Little Puppy Dog that's still young and doing stupid stuff that makes you laugh. Sooner or Later he's going to turn into an old cumdrudgeon like most of us here are. At least he's out there on the road getting it done (Or Is He??? ), and garners respect. Know what I mean.......

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Well....Not in this Case. Seems OP did run out of fuel at one time here....................

Now that's Funny....No matter how you look at it.:)

I did i did. 2 times actually but i didnt say anythhh.... oopsie daisy

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Zane, you must show RED taillights and brakelights.. I have seen many with designs over part... but you must show red.. eventually you will get the cop who decides to make an example of you.

My advice, if you want to show the custom touch, clean all the black off.. then mask some letters or something, do an MX stacked going down the lens with masking tape, then black around that.. pull off the tape, you got red MX glowing, or design, whatever.. some do Chevy bowties, Dodge Ram cutouts , etc...

I'm all for custom stuff... in my day it would have been glasspack dual exhaust.. LOL..remember.. white forward, red back... anything else, eventually you'll get a ticket.. get enough, no $$.

Dale

Glasspackk?

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
......Honestly, He's starting to grow on me too.

Sure, at first, most of us were thinking "Who's this idiot bouncing around here??" cause of the stuff he was posting. Hell, he even sent me a PM asking "What did I do wrong????" Of which I ignored. (I usually ignore most of my PM's anyway cause 1/2 of 'em are from people wanting to argue "Off" the board)

Now, he's kind of grown into that Cute Little Puppy Dog that's still young and doing stupid stuff that makes you laugh. Sooner or Later he's going to turn into an old cumdrudgeon like most of us here are. At least he's out there on the road getting it done (Or Is He??? ), and garners respect. Know what I mean.......

Woof woof lol

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Wow.. you guys must have never cruised.... never put chrome wheels, sidepipes, hood scoops, etc... or for the other generations.. moon discs, lake pipes, dual antennas, flame throwers, etc... part for speed, part to attract girls...

This is the newer way of doing stuff.. blacked out, neon glow, spinners wheels, 20 dubs, thumping stereos, etc. Let's give the kid a break, he's just trying to combine both worlds while he takes a break from getting paid to fly sideways thru the air on two wheels!

hodges.jpg

... then again, maybe all of you have been on TV competing in nationally televised events ....... just sayin..

Dale

That aint me my elbows are down in that picture...trainer would hava fit lol

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I did something similar with a Grand Prix I had, mine were just long narrow rectangles that I had masked off and painted the rest the same color as the car. I drove it for years and took it on some trips from NY to VA without a problem.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

hodges.jpg

Dale

Nope, never did ANY of that. I was in the Army a year after I got out of high school. I wore green. That's it. Was on my own. I felt no need to conform to what the "Crowd did" to prove I was an individual.

I did the same thing I always have done. I hunting and fished. Back then I did play hockey and softball, and hunted and fished. The rest of the time I worked.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Nope, never did ANY of that. I was in the Army a year after I got out of high school. I wore green. That's it. Was on my own. I felt no need to conform to what the "Crowd did" to prove I was an individual.

I did the same thing I always have done. I hunting and fished. Back then I did play hockey and softball, and hunted and fished. The rest of the time I worked.

And bet im the only one in freight to look like i do n drive a van that looks like it does. No conforming here

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And bet im the only one in freight to look like i do n drive a van that looks like it does. No conforming here

I was not commenting on you. You are welcome to do as your please. How you spend your money is your choice, no one else's. I was just commenting on what Dreamer said.

You do have to be DOT legal. Not being DOT legal is foolish. Deliberately deciding to NOT be DOT legal, risking your business for "bling" is not the most mature decision you could make. But again, do as you please.

You are entitled to your "bling" or what ever they call it these days. What ever floats your boat. It won't make you a dime, but, it is your choice.

Also, any 'woman' and I use that term VERY loosely in this case, that finds the look of a van's taillight that important is not worth knowing. That is NOT a 'woman' who would be in it for the long haul.

Last edited:

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
I was not commenting on you. You are welcome to do as your please. How you spend your money is your choice, no one else's. I was just commenting on what Dreamer said.

You do have to be DOT legal. Not being DOT legal is foolish. Deliberately deciding to NOT be DOT legal, risking your business for "bling" is not the most mature decision you could make. But again, do as you please.

You are entitled to your "bling" or what ever they call it these days. What ever floats your boat. It won't make you a dime, but, it is your choice.

Also, any 'woman' and I use that term VERY loosely in this case, that finds the look of a van's taillight that important is not worth knowing. That is NOT a 'woman' who would be in it for the long haul.

What women dont judge you by your tail lights?