Cool places to take a straight truck or semi

m2106dunit

Seasoned Expediter
I mentioned in an earlier post about taking the truck to Mt. Rushmore and someone said you can take your truck to the Grand Canyon and park on the south rim and take a shuttle.

I thought this might be a good opportunity to start a thread about cool places you can take a straight truck or semi, well cool places you are ALLOWED to take a straight truck or semi (big difference!). :eek:

moose

Veteran Expediter
Cape Canaveral ,
you will need to clear about 4 to 5 hours for the visit.

watch this link for the next launch :

NASA - Launch and Landing

trucks are directed to the RV/bus parking ,and are then being shuttle to the visitors center .

at the day/night of the launch , many towns in the area are charging for parking .

Moose.

are12

Expert Expediter
The Badlands is a neat place to go. Plus there is an RV Oasis a few miles out that will let you park there and go horseback riding, you can rent a cabin (if you do not want to stay in your truck), a pool and laundry facility.

We had a great time!

dieselwrench

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 40 ft straight
Detriot, Mi Henery Ford Musem
Oshkosh Wi, E A A musem
Kendallville In, the last LST #325
Dayton Oh, Air force Musm
or any place that handles tour busses

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Don Garlits drag racing museum in Ocala,FL. Lots to see here,and many historical drag racing cars,like the Little Red Wagon.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Cape Canaveral ,
you will need to clear about 4 to 5 hours for the visit.

watch this link for the next launch :

NASA - Launch and Landing

trucks are directed to the RV/bus parking ,and are then being shuttle to the visitors center .

at the day/night of the launch , many towns in the area are charging for parking .
A shut

Moose.
A launch is scheduled for February 27 at 1:32 a.m. ET
They also have rocket launches but I heard that when there is a night launch it is the coolest thing.
:D

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
A launch is scheduled for February 27 at 1:32 a.m. ET
They also have rocket launches but I heard that when there is a night launch it is the coolest thing.
:D

I have had the luck to be able to see a nightime shuttle launch,and it is something that you will never forget.

Night turns to day in an instant,it is so awesome and attention getting,that the radio stations tell people to pull their cars off to the side of the road and stop.:eek:

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I have had the luck to be able to see a nightime shuttle launch,and it is something that you will never forget.

Night turns to day in an instant,it is so awesome and attention getting,that the radio stations tell people to pull their cars off to the side of the road and stop.:eek:
Yeah, I'm here in Florida today and I have to take a load to Melbourne, Fl. I'm hoping the situation will keep me running down south so I can go view the launch later this week. I wonder where the best place to view it would be???

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I wonder where the best place to view it would be???

I was right across the lagoon or whatever that is from the cape,probably a few miles away but could still see the shuttle on the pad.

But if you can't get close to Cocoa Beach,the shuttle can be seen from many miles away in any direction.

mc1969

Seasoned Expediter
we had a good time at flamingo bay in the everglades 10 bucks to get in to the natioal park and 10 bucks to stay the night

Attachments

• day two south florida 093.jpg
    day two south florida 093.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 9

moose

Veteran Expediter
MOA
The Mall of America ,
Minneapolis , M.N

no over night parking ,
and you wont sleep any way - its right under the runway.
Truck parking area is to the East of Ikea .
Leave a note to the security on the windshield .
Then go to Exit 81 & East for overnight parking.

Mall of America - Attractions & Entertainment

Moose.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Columbus Ohio has a great zoo and plenty of parking for that matter San Diego is a must see with great parking but tickets are $35 a piece if memory serves.:eek:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I will second the San Diego choice,we did not go to the zoo but there are many museums in that same area.

They have an awesome model railroading museum,with several amazing layouts displayed.One model railroading club has even duplicated the Tehachapi loop in miniature.

Last edited:

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
In the last year we have . . .

Gone to the French Quarter - Parked at Wal-Mart and took a bus down.

Branson, MO - good parking all along the main drag.

Las Vegas (several times) - Parking behind Circus Circus and you can walk the strip from there.

Old Town Albuquerque - you can park next to the Boys and Girls Club (they are closed on the weekends).

Old Winston-Salem - Museum is on university campus and you can walk the ole' town from the 1700's where employees are dress in period garb.

Washington DC - we met up with friends and parked at the TA. We split a car rental and spent 2 days touring the National Mall and even walked on the White House Lawn.

DougTravels

Not a Member
DSC02590-4.JPG

DSC02584.jpg

DSC02601.jpg

DSC02258.jpgThe wife and I are baseball nuts, she went with me to The Field of Dreams Movie site and Cooperstown Hall of fame.

Field of Dreams-Dyersville, Iowa big enough for a str8 but would not try it in a semi. Really cool, a couple of souvenir shops the field, the house(you can't go in the house) and thats it. We did the walk from the field into the corn, mighta stole an ear, but not confessing nothing here.

Cooperstown, no problem driving through the little town. We got a room on the outskirts and walked down to the Hall and business district.