Convincing someone to get a GPS unit

sancman

Expert Expediter
I need some help;
Need to convince someone that a truck driver (straight truck) that will be doing local deliveries and expediting needs a GPS unit
Heres the reasons I have so far:
Saves Time, money.
Prevents someone from getting lost.
Don't have to stop and ask someone or call someone for directions and run the risk of those directions being bad.... ;) (ever gotten bad directions from someone and wanted to thank them for wasting your time?)
x(

Have read alot here on the forums about GPS units and have learned a lot, in all subjects to do with expediting....

Thanks in advance....

Gary
The Sancman

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
sancman:

I'm a GPS addict and I think you hit it on the head. They can save, time and they might save money if you get an affordable one that has features suitable for a truck. If your friend just does local deliveries, he probably knows the streets quite well and can navigate the city well enough to never amortize the cost of an expensive GPS.

I've heard of expensive software that, with input of any number of daily deliveries, will give you the shortest routing to cover all stops and return to base. My Garmin 340 has available accessories that receive local traffic reports for a subscription fee, and will recompute your route and send you around detours and accidents.

sancman

Expert Expediter
Terryandrene, Thanks, seems like the Magellin/Garmin c340 is the best one for the money. Can you recall the name of the software that does the routing?
Thanks.

Gary
The Sancman

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I don't know the name or the source. FedEx Ground Home Delivery uses the program and makes it available to it's independent contractors, for a price. Trash disposal companies use it to coordinate routes for efficiency. I read about it a couple of years ago and it was too expensive for a solo user, but, perhaps a cheaper version is now available.

I bought my GPS at COSTCO because of their "no questions asked" return policy. I returned two magellins that I was not happy with and got money back immediately. The same model can be bought a bit cheaper online but if you aren't happy with it, what are your choices?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Dang Terry everyone knows how to send it back, I think your just being silly. Place the item to be returned on the top of your computer and press the SEND button.

mvbn1

Expert Expediter
Gary, Our company requires that every driver have a GPS unit. All company and O/O where required to purchase something, and the company would throw in, I believe, $200.00 toward the purchase.

I have used a laptop, with MS Streets & Trips, for about a year now, and I love it. I went that route, so I could use the laptop for other things, such as record keeping, listening to CD's and watching DVD's.

diver5240

Seasoned Expediter
I went the same route with the laptop and MS and it is great it saves me time, has shown me shorter paths than I knew, and also a 15 or bigger screen is easier to see than a gps unit.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>I need some help;
>Need to convince someone that a truck driver (straight
>truck) that will be doing local deliveries and expediting
>needs a GPS unit

If this is a truck you own, and a driver that runs for you, consider buying the unit yourself and retain ownership of it.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Here is the biggest reason

INSURANCE DEDUCATABLE have an accident reading a map and bingo you just purcahsed two units. My new unit takes me to within 100 feet of the door step, it also will find Med Centers, YMCA, break down resturants into sections, bar grill (for Sundays race), pizza, chinese etc....

Eyes stay focused on driving just listen to the instructions.

I like it more than the lap top cause, eyes are not taken away from windshield... Plus if Terry is using it you know its been tried and tested to the extereme..

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Without my Copilot Truck software and my laptop I doubt I'd have been on time for anything. The directions Panther send over the Qualcomm aren't the best. I've used the copilot to find any services i need, and also to bypass construction which helps alot in Detroit. Plus with it laptop based, i can watch dvd's and burn cd's for friends i meet on the road.