Convert a Tractor to a Staight Truck

Packy

Seasoned Expediter
I have a Volvo 780 class 8 tractor that I looking at extending the frame out and making it into a staight truck. Does anyone have any ideas who can make the converison and do it correctly?

FedEx Custom Critical
Fleet Owner & Operator
D Units

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
My first question would be to ask where are you from so maybe people can try to think of somewhere clos to your location.

flatbedin

Seasoned Expediter
Almost any company that sell's "western hauler" beds will also stretch out a truck for you. If you live in or around northern Indiana PM me and I'll give you a few outfits around northern Indiana that stretch's them. Cost vary, depending on length of drive shaft and stretch. But might as well say 8k give or take.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
When I looked into converting a tractor into a d unit I talked to Pine Bluff Truck and trailer in Pine Bluff,AR. They also told me that main thing on figuring the cost would be adding driveshafts.

Kurn

Seasoned Expediter
Make sure you have the driveline set up correctly,avoid anyone who just "adds driveshafts".I've spent thousands correcting such a problem.Go with the least amount of carriers and yokes you can.

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
Your long ways from Michigan Kenworth, in Grand Rapids, but I seen them make straight truck out of a tractor turned out real nice don't know the cost. The drive shafts were built or rebuilt by Valley Truck.
The number for them is 1-800-306-0200, don't know contact person. Hurrier you go the be hinder you get! Tom Tinker