Conference call

aileron

Expert Expediter
Darn, I forgot all about the conference call with Jason yesterday. See what's happening when you are busy hauling freight? :D
Anyway, anybody tuned in? Can you give us the gist of what was talked about?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The long and the short of it, things are getting busy, they are looking forward to a busy fall and feel upbeat that it will be quite busy, For the IFTA sized trucks, if you don't use T-Check they are going to start charging you 50 cents for every fuel receipt you hand in.

Other thing I noticed today (not on the call) when you call in to the VRU and want to talk to someone you get a nag message to call between 8 and 5. Anyone who has called in after 5 in the last few days will understand why.

Overall, upbeat tone.....not a lot of substance on this one. The questions asked on the call I was on were......um........poor.

aileron

Expert Expediter
Thanks. So, I didn't miss much. I hoped that they would announce that the vans go back on percentage pay. :(

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
yeah, I've noticed some LONNNG waits. Had to call in last night because my run info hadn't come across 15 min later.. (anyone else notice big lag time?) and waited a long time for answer.

Dale

ONESTACK

Expert Expediter
Also the conference calls have turned into a recurting outlet for some owner.In case no one caught it Stormrider had a free recurting plug when someone from Stormrider called in and said if there was any good teams out there needing a job call them.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Also the conference calls have turned into a recurting outlet for some owner.In case no one caught it Stormrider had a free recurting plug when someone from Stormrider called in and said if there was any good teams out there needing a job call them.

We also missed the call due to being in Canada. That is interesting they let the recruiting part be heard.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
yeah, I've noticed some LONNNG waits. Had to call in last night because my run info hadn't come across 15 min later.. (anyone else notice big lag time?) and waited a long time for answer.

Dale

Yes, long delays here as well......

Since we're talking problems with dispatch.....has anyone noticed an outbreak of incorrect locals lately? One of the ones we had put us in a residential neighborhood in Calgary, AB....not a real comfortable feeling. That's one of the reasons we don't trust our GPS on locals.....:( so to have Fed Ex locals do that to us was quite the disappointment.

Now, when you put these two things together, you're asking for trouble. You have a driver out there trying to stay legal (out of the residential) and safe, they're in a hurry to deliver ON TIME, they're on hold IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY (big time roaming) and you find out after the fact that the person taking care of the locals confused NE with NW and sent you on a joy ride that your GPS and map can't get you out of because the delivery site is on a new street.

This one took us HOURS AND MILES to work our way out of......you can imagine, we weren't too happy and no, we didn't discuss it with anyone at the Fed the next day......

Although we were told at orientation to report incorrect directions so they can be corrected in the computer, it's been our experience in the past that it's difficult to find someone that has the time and is willing to go into the records and make the correction.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have also noticed the poor locals. We were just in Ontario CA and our local directions were to a very small neighborhood on the lake instead of the base we needed to be at. Our GPS could not find the address either so we were really stuck. The dispatcher wanted us to do a conference call with customer and I just asked her on QC to get the correct directions from the customer and send us the corrected directions. All finally turned out well and we finally made our pickup. The load went fine the locals were the problem. I am beginning to believe there is a new in house policy do not ask customer for directions as they will just get the directions off of internet. This is really frustrating for all of us.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We have also noticed the poor locals. This is really frustrating for all of us.

Don`t forget locals are only as good as the knucklehead giving them to dispatch. Some of them couldn't`t find their posterior with both hands.

As to GPS not finding the location, try both with, and without the zip code. Sometimes where they get their mail can be miles away.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I know but this was internet directions for sure. Did try the Zip and still wrong. The base had a portion of this street name on the base and the GPS could not find it. Normally when this happens I get online and look for the address. It is to expensive to get online while in Canada.

I did send an email and also QC messages on this so I hope the next person picking up here will not go through this.

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
  • Yes, it seems that the hold times are long and getting longer all the time; sometimes in excess of 12-15 minutes.
  • I have heard the recorded message several times about not calling in if not on a run or responding to an offer unless it is M-F, 0800 – 1630. It is the most ludicrous frustration I have as a contractor. :mad: This is a 365/24/7 business. I can and do receive calls from them without restriction when I am in service. They need to do the same from any and all contractors, and in a timely manner. Period.
  • Roaming in Canada is very expensive – over $1/minute. I try not to use my cell when in Canada other than to set up the ACE to cross back into the USA. I have been lost and been on the phone with dispatch trying to get help/directions for as long as 25 minutes. There go the profits. Last time in CA I got a load out. I sent a QC message asking someone to call me to complete the departure call as I could not afford to be on hold waiting for them to answer. Someone did, but it still took me 10 minutes to complete the departure call. I have just increased the minimum CPM for which I will take freight into or out of CA. If those numbers cannot be met, I just won’t accept the load.
  • As for local directions, this has been and remains the second greatest area of frustration and concern as a contractor. As for the locals only being as good as the “knucklehead” sharing them with FECC, that dog don’t hunt. We are contractors with the biggest, best, most sophisticated experts in world wide logistical movement of freight and we can’t have accurate and simple to follow local directions to a pick up or delivery. Please! Get real!

Last edited:

aileron

Expert Expediter
Roaming in Canada is very expensive – over $1/minute. I try not to use my cell when in Canada other than to set up the ACE to cross back into the USA. I have been lost and been on the phone with dispatch trying to get help/directions for as long as 25 minutes. There go the profits. Last time in CA I got a load out. I sent a QC message asking someone to call me to complete the departure calla s I could not afford to be on hold waiting for them to answer. Someone did, but it still took me 10 minutes to complete the departure call.

I NEVER use the phone in Canada. Actually, I turn the phone off when I am in Canada. Did you know that if someone calls you while in Canada, and you don't answer and they leave a message you still get charged $1.29 or thereabouts?
When in Canada I only use the shipper's phone or a pay phone at a gas station.

Last edited: