Compressed sawdust blocks a.k.a. Eco blocks

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I didn't have time to cut and split the ten or twelve face cords of wood for this winter and now I'm waiting on a firewood delivery.
I picked up a few packs of those compressed sawdust firewood blocks at tractor supply co. to see if they work in an older wood burning stove. I burn wood because wood is still cheaper than fuel oil. I tossed three in the stove around 4pm in a cold stove and they seemed to warm up OK at this point considering the house was at 42 deg F. Yeah it was cold. Its apx 9 pm and the stove is still warm.

I know the pellet stove owners swear by the compressed wood. If it works out cost wise I might run with these instead of wood. I wanted some input from those who use them and how to get the most out of them, also is there a difference in brands, and what to look for. Also is creosote an issue if the flue temps get cool?

Thanks.
Bob Wolf

Archer

Active Expediter
I didn't have time to cut and split the ten or twelve face cords of wood for this winter and now I'm waiting on a firewood delivery.
I picked up a few packs of those compressed sawdust firewood blocks at tractor supply co. to see if they work in an older wood burning stove. I burn wood because wood is still cheaper than fuel oil. I tossed three in the stove around 4pm in a cold stove and they seemed to warm up OK at this point considering the house was at 42 deg F. Yeah it was cold. Its apx 9 pm and the stove is still warm.

I know the pellet stove owners swear by the compressed wood. If it works out cost wise I might run with these instead of wood. I wanted some input from those who use them and how to get the most out of them, also is there a difference in brands, and what to look for. Also is creosote an issue if the flue temps get cool?

Thanks.
Bob Wolf

There is nothing better than wood to heat your house, it takes about 3-4 cords per season. I have tried the pressed logs and found them to make more ash than it's worth to clean it out all the time I clean the flu three times a year. I burn pellets in my shop. With the pellets you have a controlled heat that can be shut down in a few minutes with very little ash I dump the ash pan maybe twice a year, creosote is not a real problem with them I clean the flu once before the cold season. one 50lb bag will last three days on low heat. The cost of a ton of pellets is around $200.00 here, cord of wood around $170.00 in rounds still have to be split and stacked.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ill be updating the stove in the next year or so after the remodel is done. The stove I'm using now has to be at least 35 40 years old. Burning good dry hardwood its like running a JDAM rocket in a gocart 75-80 deg.F five feet from the stove. keeps the house toasty.
The pressed blocks last a good while, a little longer than wood but heat could be better, thermostat reads 60deg.F five feet away from the stove room temps are reasonable feels like 60 deg. My main concern is flue temps aren't as hot as burning hardwood.

The guys I talk to that burn pellets and corn swear by their stoves. How well do they work in a 200+ year old house with little insulation? The only insulation I know of is what I installed myself.
I am installing 6 inch fiberglass batting in the outside walls so I don't have moisture or ventilation problems. Six inches is better than none. I have twelve inches of fiber glass batting in the attic over one room that was remodeled and six inches of blown cellulose in the rest of the attic. Former owner installed.

Bob Wolf

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Should be looking a stoves that burn corn as well.
Corn_on_the_cob.jpg

briggie1

Seasoned Expediter
Ill be updating the stove in the next year or so after the remodel is done. The stove I'm using now has to be at least 35 40 years old. Burning good dry hardwood its like running a JDAM rocket in a gocart 75-80 deg.F five feet from the stove. keeps the house toasty.
The pressed blocks last a good while, a little longer than wood but heat could be better, thermostat reads 60deg.F five feet away from the stove room temps are reasonable feels like 60 deg. My main concern is flue temps aren't as hot as burning hardwood.

The guys I talk to that burn pellets and corn swear by their stoves. How well do they work in a 200+ year old house with little insulation? The only insulation I know of is what I installed myself.
I am installing 6 inch fiberglass batting in the outside walls so I don't have moisture or ventilation problems. Six inches is better than none. I have twelve inches of fiber glass batting in the attic over one room that was remodeled and six inches of blown cellulose in the rest of the attic. Former owner installed.

Bob Wolf

I live in a 100 year old house no insulation either. I had a wood pellet stove and it worked and heated my house fine. But the problem was it used to much pallets. On a day in the 40's it would use two 40 lb bags. So I took it out and went back to my hard coal pellet stove. Burns less because it has higher btu. If it is 0 out it will use one 5 gallon bucket of coal. And keep my house 75