Company Driver

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Will you be running solo? I was a company expedite driver for all of 1997 and part of 1998 driving a company owned van or short leased straight truck. I was paid .25/mile driving a van and .30/mile driving a straight truck. Neither were equipped with sleepers. I got reimbursed for motels and $15 per diem.

That was then and I don't know what a decent rate for a company driver is today. There isn't a whole lot of expedite jobs driving a company/private owned vehicle paying flat mileage. You have to figure out for yourself if .30cpm is a good rate. Probably the only way to find out is to do it for six month and see where you are at financially.

Reactions: brokcanadian

guardsman2016

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Yes I will be running solo. It has a sleeper so they wont pay for hotels. I will be 1099 but still driving a company truck and using the company fuel card.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes I will be running solo. It has a sleeper so they wont pay for hotels. I will be 1099 but still driving a company truck and using the company fuel card.
So you're basically an employee. I would run from that 1099 crap. Going 1099 relieves them of any workman's comp issues and other payroll responsibilities.

Reactions: fastman_1

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
From what I have seen most expedited companies 1099 all drivers.

They 1099 all owner/ops you will be driving for a fleet owner. Paying per mile and using a company gas card, making you and employee, so paying you and giving you a 1099 is illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Upon further reflection, New York strips on the grill, a martini, well maybe two and Oreo cream pie for desert, I conclude that this could be a golden opportunity for a newbie to expediting. No up front financial risk or investment. A learn while you earn kind of deal. This how I broke into expediting. But I was a company employee and was able to carry my 401K from a sister company.

With the introduction of the 1099 to the equation, I'm having third thoughts. A 1099 will give you per diem and maybe some other tax deductions. But is it worth if for you? If the company/fleet owner is skating with the employee/contractor thing, what else are they playing fast and free with? Do some research on this specific company/fleet owner via E.O., the BBB etc. Then decide if you want to take the risk.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They 1099 all owner/ops you will be driving for a fleet owner. Paying per mile and using a company gas card, making you and employee, so paying you and giving you a 1099 is illegal.

If that makes you an employee, (which it doesn't imho) almost every fleet owner out here would paying illegally.

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
What company are you talking about? Something sounds shaky to me. I think I would run very fast from this offer.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The OP said he was a company driver using a company truck.

By his own words, he is an employee.

The op sounds really new, he may think he would be a company driver but just working with a fleet owner. If said fleet owner is telling him he is a employee of his then that's another thing. Just not enough details to guess at employee/IC status.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The op sounds really new, he may think he would be a company driver but just working with a fleet owner. If said fleet owner is telling him he is a employee of his then that's another thing. Just not enough details to guess at employee/IC status.

You could be right.

I hope the op knows the difference.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If he can't turn down loads then it's a slam dunk that he is an employee and shouldn't be paid on a 1099.