Commercial gps unit

fawazbarraj

Seasoned Expediter
HELLO,

I WAS SHOPPNIG ONLINE TODAY FOR A NEW GPS UNIT FOR MY TRUCK.......BUT AS YOU KNOW THERE ARE SO MANY OF THEM OUT THERE .......PC MILLER ....GARMIN.....GOODYEAR.....AND I AM NOT SURE WITCH ONE IS THE BEST............

I KNOW THAT SOME OF THEM THEY HAVE A LOT OF PROBLEMS

PLEASE GIVE YOUR ADVICE.......

THANK YOU VERY MUTCH.

:confused::confused::confused:

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
We have the Tom Tom Go 730. We used to have a smaller one and we got used to the way Tom Tom is set up and operates so we stayed with it when we bought a new one. I think it's mainly going to depend on your own preference. We like ours, and it doesn't tell us to jump off of bridges very often. ;)

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
pc miller what a joke it will send you in a loop thats a joke
wished the company would go back giving us pc miller dir point to point this gps is BS sorry fo anyone i offended in that statement

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The PC Miler GPS unit is pretty bad, and they should be taken out back and shot for calling it PC Miler when it doesn't even have PC Miler on it. It's an electronic version of Co-Pilot, which sux, not MC Miler, which doesn't.

Best bet for a standalone GPS unit is a mid-rage to high-end Garmin, with Tom Tom being a close second. Garmin has slightly better routing, but the differences are minimal. Mainly the differences are in the user interface - whichever one you use first, Garmin or Tom Tom, that's the one you'll like. The Garmin is actually better for North America, and the Tom Tom is better for Europe, but again, they are very, very close to each other as far as mapping and routing are concerned. Don't mess with any other brand of GPS, like Goodyear, Cobra, BillyJoeBob, as they all fall behind the Garmin and Tom Tom.

The ones for sale at truck stops tend to be lower end units. Get it online or at a Best Buy or something. The newest Garmin nüvi 1690 is finally getting to where GPS units are heading, with thenüLink!™ Services (not available in Canada, of course) that gives you real-time information delivered wirelessly about all kinds of things, including local fuel prices, Google Local Search, local event, weather and real-time traffic. And it's got all the kewl stuff like Bluetooth, lane assist with junction view, etc. It's also got a complete White Pages phone book. It's gnarly. Not truck specific, tho, as that's obviously still a work in progress, but it's still gnarly.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I wish they would come out with one that would allow you to program in your vehicle's dimensions and then route you based off of that. It would be nice to have something that could route you door to door and not have to worry about it routing you through an area with low bridges or the like.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, the Garmin 465T lets you input vehicle dimensions, as well as weight, and will route you based on that. The problem is, they emphasize the "truck" part a little too much with the routing software, to the point where it apparently strongly favors STAA routing over practical routing, instead of just doing regular ol' practical routing with the necessary adjustments for dimensions and weight. So that one has some evolving to do, and it may be two or three updates before it begins to be what it should be.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The 465 does, indeed, need to evolve a bit more. After having a couple of months with it, I still feel I was just as well served by my 330.

travelinman

Seasoned Expediter
WorldNav is a "truck" GPS unit. You input your vehicle deminsions and it will route you accordingly. Been through New York City and the surrounding area a few times and it has served me well. There are few GPS units with truck capabilities. WorldNav is expensive at around $550-$600 bucks. It has a large 7" screen and many features though - I bought mine off a fellow driver for half price - if you drive a large straight or tractor I think it is worth the money - if you drive a van stick with TomTom or Garmin

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i like garmin 2610
also a good place to buy is tvnav.com
super prices

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
My partner uses a Garmin,i use memory,and for fun,I have GPS in my Sprint phone,the phone actually is better than the Garmin.I believe all the cell carriers offer GPS for around 10 bucks amonth,its included with my plan at Sprint

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Mainly the differences are in the user interface - whichever one you use first, Garmin or Tom Tom, that's the one you'll like.

Exactly. We bought a Garmin when we were in the process of upgrading from the first Tom Tom that we had and we did not like the interface at all. We were used to Tom Tom's interface, so we returned the Garmin and bought another Tom Tom.

We've decided to stick with the Tom Tom until someone comes out with an accurate and dependable truck specific gps that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. It has served us well even without truck specific routing. :)

eggd1ver

Seasoned Expediter
Me and my have a tom tom and it has been a very good unit the only compliant I have it has sent me to the back of plants a few times were there is no roads and a few streets I shouldn't be on otherwise it's been a very good unit. We just got a new garmin nuvi like it so far just had to put the trucks demison and weight have run six loads and it's been right on. good luck in looking for one.

Rick & Ida Panther Drivers!