Coming to your truck

greg334

Veteran Expediter
California is again trying to start a trend to deal with a short fall of money in their budget. All kinds of ideas have been floating in their legislator but the one that has caught on seems to be the electronic license plate. Just like those annoying BRIGHT flashy billboards, these license plates are electronic and display anything that they are programed to display.

Calif. license plates might show ads

I would expect this to catch on to every state, no more of this static boring license plate but now a dynamic ever changing one that advertises too.

The only thing I wonder is how would this affect you, the independent owner/operator under contract with your company. My contract says nothing about sticking an ad on the side of my truck and making money but maybe someone else's contract could be restrictive enough so to prevent that ad from being placed anywhere on the truck?

My concern could be ads from competing companies being displayed on the plate. I mean like many of us who have Google Adsense ads running on our websites, we sometimes see our competitor's ads pop up a few times so I would think there may be a chance that FedEx may run ads on the license plates while the truck is leased to Panther.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
LOL- Safety, Safety, Safety.....I can read the headlines...Drive rear ends car due to reading Strip Club Add on car's plate....

termite289

Expert Expediter
dear California.
Keep your stupidity out there. its why your broke. the rest of us don't want it.
thanks.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ads on lic. plates

As soon as the safety organizations get wind of this I'm fairly certain it will go up in smoke. #1=Major safety issues here.
Not to mention how are these ads going to scroll across the plate?

The plus here is it's great for jobs, because somebody has to develop the plates and distribute them. jobs versus safety? easy question there I should hope.

What would happen if there's an issue with the plate and it stops working? Would the drivers be required to get them fixed immediately?

They're going to be electrical- by lithium batteries or solar power? sun doesn't hit license plates all that directly for any length of time. So I doubt it's powered by solar energy.
If they are not powered by batteries built into the plate, then you would plug them in... like a trailer- to a tail light assembly or pigtail attachment on a tractor.

Safety again, insurance issue possibly as well... what happens if these lovely little selling devices decide to go off the beaten path and short out... blown fuse I hope is all that occurs. If there's a fire, there would be a major mess of paperwork.

What would happen if somebody steals the plate? People steal LED lights off of trucks and trailers in truckstops... why not license plates too?
Whats the replacement cost for one of these insurance nightmares?

Driving along, you see something blinking on the back of a car or truck... and realize it's the license plate... so naturally drivers are going to want to investigate. What if there's a certain phone number or website you want to write down that has caught your eye- you end up following too close and wham!

I could see the courts now... cause of accident: license plate ad reading.
How many points would the put on for that charge? What kind of fine would be set?

Revenue yes, is it worth sacrificing safety?
Very apparent that somebody has overlooked the safety aspect here.

That's my 2 cents here so far.
BBB

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Re: ads on lic. plates

I can see this happening. :D

Jailbreak your license plate. $19.95. Text 'Plate' to 55555 and follow this car for 60 seconds.

Safety isn't as big an issue as it might seem. No ads when the vehicle is moving, just the license plate number will be visible on the plate.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

I can see this happening. :D

Jailbreak your license plate. $19.95. Text 'Plate' to 55555 and follow this car for 60 seconds.

Safety isn't as big an issue as it might seem. No ads when the vehicle is moving, just the license plate number will be visible on the plate.

So how does the plate determine that you are moving?

So the plate which is an LCD rolling ad has gps added to it to determine if it is moving or not?

Now the plate cost went from $40 to $70 each without the increase in user fees, so the state now has a bigger debt to deal with.

I can also see this happening;

AP 02/15/12 - The state of California in another trendsetting move has decided because of the great successful with their Digital License Plate, they are taking it to the next level - setting up an infrastructure to allow communications with the plate for up to date advertising and vehicle monitoring. The new $20B system will installed by the end of next year with help from a federal grant that would have gone to pay for school books and toilet paper in schools that teach in English. This will allow the state to determine if a motorist is speeding and issue a citation in order to save the time and money spent on using the police to monitor and issue tickets.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

So how does the plate determine that you are moving?

So the plate which is an LCD rolling ad has gps added to it to determine if it is moving or not?
I have no idea...

"The California Legislature is considering a bill that would allow the state to begin researching the use of electronic license plates for vehicles. ...The DMV would be required to submit its findings and recommendations to the Legislature by Jan. 1, 2013."

GPS would be easy enough, but so would a simple motion detector.

I can also see this happening;

... AP 02/15/12 - The state of California in another trendsetting move has decided because of the great successful with their Digital License Plate, they are taking it to the next level - setting up an infrastructure to allow communications with the plate for up to date advertising and vehicle monitoring.
Not so sure about vehicle monitoring, as the privacy folks would challenge that one pretty heavily. (That would also rule out location-based advertising.) It would still be up to speed and red light cameras to nail you for that stuff.

Then again, regardless of whatever encryption they use, you just know it'll be hacked, where when the car is in motion of, say, less than 30 MPH, the plate will show your real license plate number, when stopped there's an ad, but when moving at greater than 30 MPH, the plate will show some hacked random plate number. :D

... This will allow the state to determine if a motorist is speeding and issue a citation in order to save the time and money spent on using the police to monitor and issue tickets.
I can't see that one surviving a Fifth Amendment (self incrimination) challenge.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
mercury in california?

You really think this would happen?

nope, because it is practical and cheap. And for the tree hugger's, no i don't see people throwing there old scroll plates in the lake when they get tired of them!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK I guess. Once kids used to play with it like it was a toy but now people fear it like it is going to kill man kind.

Its bad enough that the EPA now is requiring licensing for contractors who work on homes older than 30 years old because of some lead paint crap but now ... I can imagine this.

A two cars gets in a fender bender, they back into each other while trying to leave opposite parking spots at the same time at a shopping center parking lot.

After the exchange of information takes place, one of the drivers notices that the license plates are both smashed and there sits on the cement two ounces of shiny metal stuff.

They call the police to ask them what that silvery stuff is. Then All Hell breaks loose in the city. They shut down the roads near the shopping center, they lock down the parking lot, prevent people from leaving the stores "for their own safety'. The county disaster teams are called in, the county setup a command post a few blocks away for safety reasons. The city's hazmat teams are called with their decontamination trucks, their isolation trailers and about 40 support personal. The EPA flys in by helicopter to oversee the scene with 15 'experts'. CARB comes in to monitor the air quality from the machinery and the destructive chemical split.

They devise a plan, they execute the isolation of the mercury and then clean up the mess. After robots are sent in to make sure that the massive destructive mercury spill is ok to be handled by people in protective gear, the fully suited hazmat professionals go in and clean up the massive spill. After it is contained and cleaned, they haul all the cars in the immediate are away for proper destruction, cut a 4X4X8 section of parking lot up where there could be Mercury residue and then after 16 hours of work, they all leave to allow the people to leave the stores.

Yep practical.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
You make a good point greg this is ca. We are talking about, they over react on everything