Comdata ripoffs

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Did you actually call Panther and ask them about this?

Comdata may not be the one doing the charging, the fees are negotiated with the carrier based on the amount of money they process.

I just got an email from Sean @ Panther and he is going to check with the comdata rep

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
not when i would buy fuel at the same time if i just got cash it would

Looks like they list as all separate transactions...could that be the problem? Maybe the cashier made a mistake by not making it one transaction.....maybe you could be refunded the $5 bucks?

moose

Veteran Expediter
PayPal MasterCard 4TW!!!

fired at you from my Droideka

Yes but you do not get the cash price, and your carrier cannot negotiate discounts .
take those 2 away, and no one will ever lease on to Pii,CC.3state,L1,or E1...
same problem with the truckers advantage card promoted by OOIDA,(you do get the cash price on that one,if fueling inside the network)

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Looks like they list as all separate transactions...could that be the problem? Maybe the cashier made a mistake by not making it one transaction.....maybe you could be refunded the $5 bucks?

Cashier didn't have anything to do with it. It was done at the pump

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Yes but you do not get the cash price, and your carrier cannot negotiate discounts .
take those 2 away, and no one will ever lease on to Pii,CC.3state,L1,or E1...
same problem with the truckers advantage card promoted by OOIDA,(you do get the cash price on that one,if fueling inside the network)

Makes no difference to me. I use the interwebz to find the lowest price near me and purchase it there. And I get 1% back tax-free with every purchase, no fees, and I can put FSC up front on driver cards before they even turn the key. :cool:

fired at you from my Droideka

zippydo

Seasoned Expediter
The only time I get cash off of it is when I fuel and I have been getting charged the extra fee for over a year. Please let me know what Sean says.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I'm w/ Eddie & the ones who don't use it. Back in the day I used it not realizing the fees involved. Ouch!!! More recently we got paid on Comdata. $1 to get your paycheck. Not much ya could do about it. I didn't like it. I'd never use the thing for anything other than getting my paycheck though.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They are a business that provides a service. You want to use the service you pay for it. Just like our service is driving and we expect to be paid for it if someone uses our service.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Have you noticed that now comdata charges you when you get cash when you fill up and they even charge you for the rebate on the fuel price talk about thives

03/18/11 07:59 FP #2S TA-TOLEDO 3483 LIBBEY RD PERRYSBURG OH 122.75 3.96 -485.98 -2.50
03/18/11 07:59 FP CSH TA-TOLEDO 3483 LIBBEY RD PERRYSBURG OH -100.00 -2.50
03/18/11 07:59 FP FOCUS TA-TOLEDO 3483 LIBBEY RD PERRYSBURG OH 20.62 -2.50
03/18/11 07:59 FP TOTAL TA-TOLEDO 3483 LIBBEY RD PERRYSBURG OH -565.36 -2.50

so i was charged $7.50 in fees for using the card 1 time

Scuba I thought the same thing. They only charged you one time. Look at the blance brother. We did the math and it's only one charge.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
03/18/11 07:59 FP #2S TA-TOLEDO 3483 LIBBEY RD PERRYSBURG OH
122.75 3.96 -485.98 -2.50
03/18/11 07:59 FP CSH TA-TOLEDO 3483 LIBBEY RD PERRYSBURG OH
-100.00 -2.50
03/18/11 07:59 FP FOCUS TA-TOLEDO 3483 LIBBEY RD PERRYSBURG OH
20.62 -2.50
03/18/11 07:59 FP TOTAL TA-TOLEDO 3483 LIBBEY RD PERRYSBURG OH
-565.36 -2.50

so i was charged $7.50 in fees for using the card 1 time

Just a thought from a non Comdata user looking at your list... if you were getting charged 2.50 for each separate line item transaction as noted by the '-2.50' on each line, then would your philosophy not follow through to the end line where it states the total as being '-565.36', along with another '-2.50' on that line, and suggest you are also getting charged '-2.50' for having a total?

When I look at this, it seems to state that your total fees would also be totalled on that end line, and the total fees were -2.50, and not -7.50.

Could it be that the 'fees' column is a running balance of fees as opposed to a separate and additional fee on each line?

Perhaps I'm reading it wrong? Is there a time when you receive a complete summary of Comdata usage over a given period of time?

Monty

Expert Expediter
Any charges against you ComData card is determined by the contract the issuing carrier has with them.

At Landstar, it costs to load the card, a one time fee, no charges to use it, except at an ATM machine. (Or a cash advance when you use less than 50 gallons, which most CV do.)

I only use it for fuel, when in Indiana ... that way I get the pre tax price as determined by the DOT number, and since I have no fuel tax requirements, I save at least that much.

And you are really looking to save a buck, especially in the Sprinters, (and other diesel powered vans), purchase your fuel away from the Interstate, I have found it is usually a minimum of .10 cheaper, sometimes .20)

Example, here at home fuel is 3.85 at the Speedway, it is 4.01 at the TA truckstop a few miles away.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any charges against you ComData card is determined by the contract the issuing carrier has with them.

At Landstar, it costs to load the card, a one time fee, no charges to use it, except at an ATM machine. (Or a cash advance when you use less than 50 gallons, which most CV do.)

I only use it for fuel, when in Indiana ... that way I get the pre tax price as determined by the DOT number, and since I have no fuel tax requirements, I save at least that much.

And you are really looking to save a buck, especially in the Sprinters, (and other diesel powered vans), purchase your fuel away from the Interstate, I have found it is usually a minimum of .10 cheaper, sometimes .20)

Example, here at home fuel is 3.85 at the Speedway, it is 4.01 at the TA truckstop a few miles away.

I be saying that for quite sometime...
Sometimes especially at a TA with their NUTTY 50 gal limit you are paying way more then 10 bucks for that shower...

greg334

Veteran Expediter

At Landstar, it costs to load the card, a one time fee, no charges to use it, except at an ATM machine.

That's what I said.

Also at Landstar there is a way around the ATM fees and I haven't gotten dinged for the less than 50 advance.

dad4evr1

Seasoned Expediter
One of the companies I work for pays only through comdata, the only time I use it is when I build enough funds with them to make it advantageous to transfer it to my checking account...I usually run 3 or 4 loads with them and then pay the **** $2 fee so I can use my ATM instead. It does suck but that company has no direct deposit unfortunately.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Scuba, what Bruno said, you were only charged once, $1.50 for the fuel trans, $1.00 for the cash withdrawal. i too 1st thought it was additional charges when I 1st saw it, but after doing the math and the figuring, what I save at the TA's (even considering TA's higher fuel prices), the comdata still saves me money, but they are a pain to deal with.
Retidepxe