Class 8 owners how's your mileage?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If you don't mind me asking, in your opinion which would be the better truck for this accomplishment?

whitey1

Seasoned Expediter
My first truck was a 2001 Century with a 500 HP Cummins and the Smartshift auto(driving for a F/O). It had about 350k when it was converted. Once I learned to program the computer for the tranny, I would usually average between 10-11 MPG. Add a heavy load or lots of hills and mileage would fall.
BUT it was really nice passing everybody uphill in PA even with a load. Waaay more fun to drive than my current under-powered Fl-70.
Did you read all of THIS post?
Here's some more: A factory sleeper is air ride, this is huge if you are a team(i.e, you might get to sleep through Kentucky). I can't get parts to fix my Alumijunk sleeper, heck they won't even answer their phone nevermind return a call. Parts availabilty. I hope it is better for the factory sleepers than the aftermarkets which appears to be about zero after five years.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
I'm usually just a bit under 10MPG with my 9200 International. If I were to set the cruise at 65 rather than the usual 67.5, I'd probably be a bit over 10.

Rex

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
2000 century,709000 miles,28000lbs empty,c-10 cat, autoshift, showing 9.89 mpg on the computer of course I have been in the high speed states a lot lately and with some heavy loads, I have seen 10.5 if i run a lot of Ohio, or with light loads with the pusher up.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'd have to be riding along and do the arithmetic to believe 14mpg. Too much Missouri ancestry I guess. I don't push hard accelerating and usually stay at 61-63 tops and avg about 8. That's been the same on 3 different trucks with 3 different power trains, 2 of which are class 8 trucks.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
If we keep the speed to about 61-63mph we are getting about 8 mpg. If we bump the speed up to 70 in those higher speed limit states, the fuel mileage drops to around 6 mpg

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Greg: The best we ever run was an Argosy with a Small Block M-11 Cummins, 10sp, full aerodynamics,sleeper deflectors tight to van body, air tabs. consistent dozen and better.

gojack

Expert Expediter
Volvo 2006 VNL Tractor, Cummins ISX 475 Freedomline
pulling a 53' trailer in rolling hills, Cincinnati-Louisville.
I average 70-75 MPH.
Freight - everything from 1K bubble-wrap to 49K Garden Mulch.
High percent of in-city driving, my IFTA milage last quarter was 7.86 MPG

60MPH

Expert Expediter
LDB I like your driving style their 61 to 63 tops. You get every where on time don't you?? I do not understand why anyone that pays for fuel or gets a fuel bonus would drive above 64 mph you are just throwing money away I don't care what the speed limit is I drive 60. And I am passed by alot of C,D and E units that I know are paying for there fuel. And lets not forget about all that wear and tear at those higher speeds. And I know some will say what do u know your in a van well I can tell you that I drove a 18 for USA Truck for 7 years and I got my fuel bonus 90% of the time. In my litte van I get 24.5 to 25 mpg at 60 and only 19 mpg at 70 that is 150+ miles on one tank of fuel which turns into about 6 gallons at 3.00 a gallon thats 18.00 in my pocket every tank full and that adds up. If ya'll slowed down and got just a 1 mpg increase, that would add up quickly with all the fuel ya'll go thru in a week

remember
60 MPH ALL DAY-EVERY DAY

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, my on time ratio is 100%. At 62mph with runs calculated at 47mph I gain 15 miles every hour. After 3 hours I could take a 45 min break and still be on time, albeit with no margin left. I generally try to get 2/3-3/4 of the run finished before stopping, if I stop at all, as I know by then how things are going. I never use all my margin either. I aim for at least 30 min early on every delivery. So far it's worked 100%.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Kinda the same boat. We have owned many tractors as well as straight trucks. 11 mpg would be the ceiling. 12 to 14 mpg would seem like a fantasy. Never seen one at that fuel economy unless it was going off a cliff.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Ditto on the 60 MPH.

Actually I run by the RPM's to stay on the "Sweet Spot".

At 1900 RPM that puts me at 61/62 MPH. It nets me 20.5 MPG.

If I push it up to 2200 at 65/66 MPH it drops to 18.0 MPG.

Hey, if you want to run 70 MPH, help yourself, but do not tailgate
my van. Use the left lane and pass me. And if you can not judge time and distance well enough so that you are not stuck behind me for a few seconds while the "hammer lane" clears, so you can pass safely, then you need to sharpen your driving skills. And still, DO NOT tailgate me.

gojack

Expert Expediter
Running in the hills, with heavy loads...

I have to hit 75 MPH at the bottom of the hill
to crest the hill and stay in high gear.

If I don't and I have to drop down a gear
--- then my fuel economy drops off a LOT.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
No where east of the Mississippi, that I know of, has a speed limit above 70mph.

If you believe that you are exempt from the law, help yourself. Obviously, no one is exempt from traffic laws. In fact, I had a guy in jail tell me after a church service, "Preacher, you can't outrun two-way radios or cell phones."

Just look far enough ahead to see that you are closing fast on vehicles driving the at, or below, the legal maximum speed limit, turn on your signal, move into the passing lane while maintaining a safe assured distance from the vehicle in front of you and pass with care.

Pretty simple. That was in week two of truck driving school for all who seem to have fogotten. It might have been referred to as Maintaining Your Lane.

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 2001 frightliner with a 500 detorit in it with a manual 10 speed and i get around 10.5 to 11 and when i put my foot in it 70 or 75 in some states i go to around 9 or 8.5 now i know some of you are saying u lost money by going faster i just say i got there early and i'm on the borad before u guys driving 60 so sometimes it makes me money

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do you get your next load within an hour or two of POD? My guess is that sometimes maybe and mostly no. We aren't the ones fooling ourselves, you are. You cut your mpg by 20% which means your fuel cost for the run went up almost 25%. What you gain most is the chance to start sitting sooner. At least you won't have to waste as much time counting money since a whole lot more of it pumped out the stacks on the way.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

my last quarter ifta said 9.75 mpg
I to run alot of the higher speed limit states and my truck has over a million miles and its a 94 volvo

I drive 70 most of the time as long as its legal

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
LDB whats a POD and yes i have got a load within those 2 hrs before and even if i haven't i'm still on the borad before some people so how is that fooling myself??? or how about this you run your truck the way u like and i'll run my truck the way i like and at the end of year lets just compare books and see who made more money sound like something your game for