CLASS 7 vs. CLASS 8's

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
HI EVERYONE! GOT A COUPLE MORE QUESTIONS! I HAVE A CLASS 8 RIGHT NOW AND I LIKE MY TRUCK ALOT, MY BETTER HALF AND I ARE ABOUT TO GO ON THE ROAD AS A TEAM AND WE WERE CONSIDERING GETTING A NEW/NEWER TRUCK (CLASS 8) WITH AN AUTOMATIC TRANS AND A BIT LARGER SLEEPER, WELL THAT WAS WELL INTO THE THOUGHT PROCESS AND WE'D PRETTY MUCH NARROWED OUR TRUCK CHOICE DOWN TO A WESTERN STAR (DUE ALOT TO GEO'S PRAISE), IT MUST OF BEEN GOING TO SMOOTH CAUSE THE CARRIER I'M SIGNED ON WITH JUST CUT MT LOADED PER MILE RATE BY $0.15 AND IS NOW GOING TO START CHARGING FOR THEIR SAT. NOW TO CUT TO THE CHASE! THIS RATE CUT WAS FOR CLASS D TRUCKS AND I DON'T KNOW IF THEY CUT THE RATE ON A CLASS C TRUCK OR NOT, WOULD A CLASS C TRUCK HAVE TO PAY FUEL/ROAD TAXES ? KEEP A LOG? GO OVER THE SCALES? AND ON AN AVERAGE WHAT WEIGHT WOULD A C UNIT BE ABLE TO HAUL? THE REASON I'M ASKING IS WHY BUY A D UNIT AT A HIGHER PRICE ONLY TO GET $0.03 MORE PER MILE? AND PAY ALL THE EXTRA TAXES, I'M SURE THOSE OF YOU WHO GOT THAT LETTER KNOW WHICH CARRIER I'M WITH, WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS? THANKS ALOT! SHARP327 x( :) x( :)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If they cut your rate by .15 cents, It would depend from what rate they cut it. If you are anything under a $1.00 per mile you had better search for another company. Sounds like they want to maintain the same profits while cutting yours to remain competitive. Sounds like a wonderful bunch. Remember, a $1.00 for ALL miles, not just the run miles. Anything under that and you are a sinking ship. We have experience it, and that is why we left our former company. Alot of folks have got to wake up and not work for nothing.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Suggest you "run what you brung" till you see what this arrangement
brings for you. The rates I feel, won't get any better any time soon. You should really see what some of these independents are running some of this freight for. It'd scare you. They have allowed the shippers/brokers/Expedite Companys to convince them that "this is a backhaul" and are running for fuel+. I'll beg to differ. Freight is freight. That needs to go from point A to point B. Anyway, I certainly wouldn't go spend a large ammount on an upgrade when the manufacturers are using trucks for mobile warehouses.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
THANKS FOR THE COME BACK davekc AND XO6COL, YOUR ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED AND WILL BE HELPFUL IN WHAT EVER CHOICES I END UP MAKING! I'M GOING TO TRY MY BEST TO ATTEND THE EXPO AND I'VE BEEN BEATING A FEW BUSHES TO SEE WHAT THE BEST DEALS ARE OUT THERE! I'D HATE JUMP SHIP WITH WHO I'M SIGNED ON WITH BECAUSE THEY TALKED WITH ME WHEN OTHERS WOULDN'T GIVE ME THE TIME OF DAY WHEN I WAS STARTING OUT BUT ON THE OTHER HAND I'M THE ONE WHO HAS TO PAY MY BILLS HUH?, IF ANYONE OUT THERE DOES'NT MIND LETTING ME KNOW THE BEST DEALS ! YOU CAN E-MAIL ME AT [email protected] THANKS IN ADVANCE! I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET! SHARP327 :) :) :) :) :)

tughillrunner

Expert Expediter
yes to your question c units have to cross and log it
anything over 10,001 lbs has to cross the line
only under 10,000 doesn't have to cross
ifaf, 18,000 or 26,000 under doesn't have to file ifaf
but would have to check it