Class 6 Truck Ok for Expediting?

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
My hino only has 500k on it, the majority of the miles have been in the last 4 or 5 years, I think this truck used to have a refrigerated box on it and was used locally before I got it. One thing to remember about the hino engine is that it is a sleeved engine, don't think there are many class 6 or 7 for that matter that are.

If I was with a carrier that kept track and did everything for ifta I would not care as much but if I went over 26k I would have to do that all myself.

I'm kind of curios on the sleeper weight too, I would like to find a sleeper that has nothing in it, would set it up the way I want it, was hoping that the bigger sleeper and the smaller box would about even out.

Was even thinking of a 26 foot box and making the first 6 feet into the sleeper.

Only down side I see to a Texas sleeper, I think that's what they are called, is that it limits some of the hazmat you can haul. We haul everything so that would be tough to put limits on us. Tst has a few trucks that are setup this way, but I don't believe they haul much hazmat.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
:eek:
What is the minimum size sleeper you can have now a days? That volvo vnm 630 may be able to be ordered from the factory with extended frame ready to drop a box on it and it comes with a 61" sleeper. Too bad you can't get them used. It's rare that anyone buys them, they usually opt for the day cab vnm 200 or the heavy weight vnl 780. D11 is all you need for expedite, unless you're in a 53 running western loads over the Rockies.

Hey, I just passed a blue vn630 with an 18-20' refrigerated box on it. It was a single rear axle. Thought you would want to know. Your idea can work. Did not notice if it was D11 or D13.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah that is the one, there is a guy who parks in skokie at the walmart that has a blue one (regular semi, not straight) I found out how to search for them. I'd get the D11 w/ 405 hp w/ i shift & 20 ft box, it's either that or a class 6/7 pete or kw. I'd rather take the volvo for the smoother ride and fuel economy but the price is more.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4961371

If this one had the ishift and d11 for 40k I think it'd be a good buy.

Would it be possible to make it into a single rear axle or would I have to keep it dual as it is from factory when stretching the frame?

As mentioned in the ad lightweight is the key. I'm in no hurry to buy one, I'll probably wait till I can snatch a 12 or 13 model. I think there are 2 or 3 for sale in the whole country!
To search these you have to type in VOLVO VNM64T630

Last edited:

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Yeah that is the one, there is a guy who parks in skokie at the walmart that has a blue one (regular semi, not straight) I found out how to search for them. I'd get the D11 w/ 405 hp w/ i shift & 20 ft box, it's either that or a class 6/7 pete or kw. I'd rather take the volvo for the smoother ride and fuel economy but the price is more.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4961371

If this one had the ishift and d11 for 40k I think it'd be a good buy.

Would it be possible to make it into a single rear axle or would I have to keep it dual as it is from factory when stretching the frame?

As mentioned in the ad lightweight is the key. I'm in no hurry to buy one, I'll probably wait till I can snatch a 12 or 13 model. I think there are 2 or 3 for sale in the whole country!
To search these you have to type in VOLVO VNM64T630

I'd keep it a twin screw. The .5mpg you'll gain will never pay off the cost of the modification. Plus it'll ride smoother and make you eligible for heavier loads not many people can handle.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd keep it a twin screw. The .5mpg you'll gain will never pay off the cost of the modification. Plus it'll ride smoother and make you eligible for heavier loads not many people can handle.

I'd imagine 8 tires sticking to the road would make it better in the snow. What would you say the weight capacity would be with a 20 or 22 ft box?

Deville

Not a Member
My FL80 with out a lift gate and same sleeper weighs 18,000 empty. I guess the box is heavier, but if you look at the frame rails of the FL0 and compare them to an FL70 the FL80's are thicker. My GVR is also 35,000 pounds.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I'd imagine 8 tires sticking to the road would make it better in the snow. What would you say the weight capacity would be with a 20 or 22 ft box?

Twin screw? More than you'd probably ever need. I'd say on a vn630 your probably looking at a empty weight close to 24,000lbs, maybe less. This would give you near 18,000 of capacity, maybe more. Cab and sleeper are steel which is heavy, even a D11 is way heavier than a cummins isl. Lift gates weigh a couple thousand lbs too. Also note liftgates are helpful on volvo's because they help take weight off your steer axle which will probably go over weight when you stretch the frame.

That is the major challenge to my current volvo vn780 project. Volvo engineers can't find a way to build it with a 12,000 lb front axle and keep it under that. I'm also trying to build a single rear axle 33,000lb under fet tax truck much like the single axle cascadia's and western stars.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interesting. I'll check the weight on a vnm volvo front axle tomorrow. I hope it is less then the vnl. I know they build the vnm for city hauling and regional with lighter weight in mind. I know there have been some threads discussing this in the past. I saw a vnm 200 today, the front ends are a lot more compact on those trucks. UPS uses them for the day cabs.