Chrysler workers getting high while on break in the UAW parking lot

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I remember picking up steel coils in South Bend. Overhead crane man got drunk on lunch break and dropped a coil on a truck from about 20' up. Broke the trailer in half and broke the drivers back. They said they put him in rehab. That was back about 1975.:(

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LOL, you can print all you want...it was $9 an hour casual thru a temp agency...that was in place local plant...I don't have the stubs, i was 19 y/o kid, sorry didn't feel the need to keep them to prove a point to a union supporter 0ver 30 yrs later..:rolleyes: I was able to get the correction my talking to my mom at the same time and while in her 70s, she memory is shaper then mine...probably from the stuff i was smokin with the guys at the "plant" back in the day...

As for you printing numbers telling another person (ovm) what he made....lol just who do you think you are? I thinbk you are lowballing your pay back in the day to try and prove a point....while each plant worked under the "national agreement", each plant also had seperate argeements as to certain issues and positions over and above the "national agreement"...so again, i think you are lowballing the wage you were paid to prove a point and to continue your union vs management/corporation bias....so I call BS too, for what thats worth...:rolleyes:

Oh and if you read back, i thinik you will see that OVM was MANAGEMENT/SUPERVISOR, and not covered under the union contract.....

Last edited:

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
LOL, you can print all you want...it was $9 an hour casual thru a temp agency...that was in place local plant...I don't have the stubs, i was 19 y/o kid, sorry didn't feel the need to keep them to prove a point to a union supporter 0ver 30 yrs later..:rolleyes: I was able to get the correction my talking to my mom at the same time and while in her 70s, she memory is shaper then mine...probably from the stuff i was smokin with the guys at the "plant" back in the day...

As for you printing numbers telling another person (ovm) what he made....lol just who do you think you are? I thinbk you are lowballing your pay back in the day to try and prove a point....while each plant worked under the "national agreement", each plant also had seperate argeements as to certain issues and positions over and above the "national agreement"...so again, i think you are lowballing the wage you were paid to prove a point and to continue your union vs management/corporation bias....so I call BS too, for what thats worth...:rolleyes:

Oh and if you read back, i thinik you will see that OVM was MANAGEMENT/SUPERVISOR, and not covered under the union contract.....

so you made almost twice as much as a skilled trade?, ok, whatever, you made more then most mangement back then and you worked in a tool crib.

Most foreman only made like 10% more then the highest person he supervised, not 2 to 3 times there pay,my father was in upper mangement and was lucky if he made 9 an hour back then, but what do i know. I just make up figures, and post them, lmao

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
It is what it is may man...lol , my dad as a teamster was making over $15 bucks hr in the 70's....so as ovm said, it must have sucked to work for gm then....oh and when I went to work full time as mechanic in a Buick dealership (non-union) i was working for $12 and hr flat rate.....

And with that, I am off the the NW Ohio Regional High School All Star football game...Seeya all later....:D

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
It is what it is may man...lol , my dad as a teamster was making over $15 bucks hr in the 70's....so as ovm said, it must have sucked to work for gm then....oh and when I went to work full time as mechanic in a Buick dealership (non-union) i was working for $12 and hr flat rate.....

And with that, I am off the the NW Ohio Regional High School All Star football game...Seeya all later....:D

Back it up chef, i doubt that your dad as a teamster was making 15 an hour, unless he was high up in the teamster ranks, no unions made that kind of money in the 70's

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter

Wow, your just a lucky guy, it did suck, still does, retired from GM at 49, my life sucks.lol

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well if you were a UAW worker you could afford the good stuff.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

But if you were management, you could afford 400 times as much of it.
The disparity between management & workers pay in 1982 was 42 to 1. In 2002, 281 to 1. The 400 was in 2007, so it's certainly higher now. How does that escape the notice of those who are outraged over what a union member earns?
That's what bothers me: that the unions are demonized for greed, while the insanity of CEO compensation just keeps increasing with nary a peep of protest.
It just boggles the mind.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The disparity between management & workers pay in 1982 was 42 to 1. In 2002, 281 to 1. The 400 was in 2007, so it's certainly higher now. How does that escape the notice of those who are outraged over what a union member earns?
That's what bothers me: that the unions are demonized for greed, while the insanity of CEO compensation just keeps increasing with nary a peep of protest.

Actually there are a lot of complaints about how much CEO's are getting. How many times have we heard the term golden parachute? I have seen plenty of talk about the CEO's getting forced to take less.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Well if you were a UAW worker you could afford the good stuff.

Someone doesn't understand supply and demand. I agree it was/is a little crazy. But if a company is willing to pay it, who are we to say they can't? Oh yeah... Obama and his pay czar says they can't.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Someone doesn't understand supply and demand.
The demand for executives who can make boneheaded decisions must be through the roof, cause the supply is unlimited.
:rolleyes:

I agree it was/is a little crazy. But if a company is willing to pay it, who are we to say they can't? Oh yeah... Obama and his pay czar says they can't.

It's "a little crazy"? It's hypocrisy, arrogance, and greed taken to obscene levels, is more like it.
And correct me if I'm wrong [like it wouldn't occur to you, lol] but Obama didn't peep on the subject either, until those very same companies came asking to be bailed out so their blunders wouldn't cost the jobs of hundreds of thousands of people, right? And their plan to 'oversee' compensation is to have it approved by the Board of Directors - yeah, that'll change things, those Boards are tough to satisfy. Not.
Don't even get me started on the whole "Golden Parachute"....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Oiler wrote:

Back it up chef, i doubt that your dad as a teamster was making 15 an hour, unless he was high up in the teamster ranks, no unions made that kind of money in the 70's

Yea i have all of my old mans pay stubs and tax returns...:rolleyes: But i did call mom to ask this time, she called back while i was at the football game...March 1978 $13.68 and hour including midnight (3rd) shift differential....yea I missed it by what, close to a buck 40....:rolleyes:

Oh and i have retired 3 times, the 1st at 50..have started owned and run 6 businesses sice then, 2 f them into the ground....:D...And my life has at times sucked, but fr the last, i'd say 10 yrs things been pretty d*amn good..far from sucking..

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
Oiler wrote:

Yea i have all of my old mans pay stubs and tax returns...:rolleyes: But i did call mom to ask this time, she called back while i was at the football game...March 1978 $13.68 and hour including midnight (3rd) shift differential....yea I missed it by what, close to a buck 40....:rolleyes:

Oh and i have retired 3 times, the 1st at 50..have started owned and run 6 businesses sice then, 2 f them into the ground....:D...And my life has at times sucked, but fr the last, i'd say 10 yrs things been pretty d*amn good..far from sucking..

Yea, well we were making 20 dollars an hour in 1978 plus they gave us a new car every year *smirks*

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
well im upset, at least they could have invited us over for a cool one since we bring them some of their stuff, Im really hurt by all this, Im gonna write the big cheese on this one.:rolleyes:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Sky wrote:

well im upset, at least they could have invited us over for a cool one since we bring them some of their stuff, Im really hurt by all this, Im gonna write the big cheese on this one.

You know I never thought of that...i wouldn't mind sharing as cold beer with the boys FAR I dropped and was out of service...:D