China and Our Oil

Black Sheep

Expert Expediter
Unbelievable, China & Cuba drilling for oil offshore of USA!!

Gas at $5.00 a gallon. Who’s to blame?

Thanks to the enivironmentalist lobby and its influence on Democratic legislators in Congress, the U.S. has, for decades, been prohibited from drilling for oil in places that we know contain billions of barrells of proven reserves.

***China, Cuba, Canada and others continue to drill off our shores where US companies are not allowed to drill because of Democratic policies!

That’s right … China and Cuba are actively exploring oil fields 50 miles from Key West, Florida while U.S. companies are barred from working in this area because of U.S. policy . So, instead of allowing the most environmentally responsible companies to operate there and increase our domestic supply, China, who has a dismal environmental record, is preparing to suck our close, lucrative oil reserves dry.

Unbelievable.

Investor's Business Daily <http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/080429/issues.html?.v=1> recently explained how irresponsible the Democrats have been on the energy crisis. They lay into what they consider to be the worst Congress ever<http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/2007/07/18/worst-congress-ever/> for …..

~ Failing to allow drilling in ANWR. We have, as President Bush noted, estimated capacity of a million barrels of oil a day from this source alone -- enough for 27 million gallons of gas and diesel. But Congress won't touch it, fearful of the clout of the environmental lobby. As a result, you pay through the nose at the pump so your representative can raise campaign cash.

~ Refusing to build new refineries. The U.S. hasn't built one since 1976, yet the EPA requires at least 15 unique 'boutique' fuel blends that can be sold in different areas around the nation. This means that U.S. refinery capacity is stretched so tight that even the slightest problem at a refinery causes enormous supply problems and price spikes. Congress has done nothing about this.

~ Turning its back on nuclear power. It's safe and, with advances in nuclear reprocessing technology, waste problems have been minimized. Still, we have just 104 nuclear plants -- the same as a decade ago -- producing just 19% of our total energy. (Many European nations produce 40% or more of their power with nuclear.) Granted, nuclear power plants are expensive -- about $3 billion each. But they produce energy at $1.72/kilowatt-hour vs. $2.37 for coal and $6.35 for natural gas.

~ Raising taxes on energy producers. This is where a basic understanding of economics would help: Higher taxes and needless regulation lead to less production of a commodity. So by proposing 'windfall' and other taxes on energy companies plus tough new rules, Congress only makes our energy situation worse.

These are just a few of Congress' sins of omission -- all while India, China, Eastern Europe and the Middle East are adding more than a million barrels of new demand each and every year. New Energy Department forecasts see world oil demand growing 40% by 2030, including a 28% increase in the U.S.

Americans who are worried about the direction of their country, including runaway energy and food prices, should keep in mind the upcoming election isn't just about choosing a new president. We'll also pick a new Congress.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Shessh....It doesn't matter how much oil you have..get it?

The refiners will still pay world price for it...there will be no lower price at the pump even if you increased by 2 million barrels a day!

Until North America disconnects from the rest of the world and sets its own price it doesn't matter.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The refiners will still pay world price for it...there will be no lower price at the pump even if you increased by 2 million barrels a day!

Until North America disconnects from the rest of the world and sets its own price it doesn't matter.

Actually OVM the problem is not that some of the refiners will pay the world prices, we in this country had several court cases in the late 19th and early 20th century to break up monopolies which in turn allowed the congress to control oil. SO.... if say Exxon has an unlimited supply at say $20 a barrel, and the rest of the oil companies have to pay say $120 a barrel, Exxon CAN NOT lower the prices to reflect the difference in raw material cost because of the anti-trust laws that will be used to break them up.

If you watched more than 5 minutes of any of the recent let's beat up oil companies meeting in Congress, you can see the control these people are trying to place over the companies.

NOW if you don't believe me, I don't remember if it is Minnesota or Wisconsin but one of them has the dumbest law, a gas station can not lower it's price more than a certain percentage of other stations in the area.

About China, they are already signed leases for drilling rigs to start drilling in the fall.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Actually OVM the problem is not that some of the refiners will pay the world prices, we in this country had several court cases in the late 19th and early 20th century to break up monopolies which in turn allowed the congress to control oil. SO.... if say Exxon has an unlimited supply at say $20 a barrel, and the rest of the oil companies have to pay say $120 a barrel, Exxon CAN NOT lower the prices to reflect the difference in raw material cost because of the anti-trust laws that will be used to break them up.

So drilling in the ANWR would have to be a consortum to get around our own stupid laws?

If you watched more than 5 minutes of any of the recent let's beat up oil companies meeting in Congress, you can see the control these people are trying to place over the companies.

NOW if you don't believe me, I don't remember if it is Minnesota or Wisconsin but one of them has the dumbest law, a gas station can not lower it's price more than a certain percentage of other stations in the area.

About China, they are already signed leases for drilling rigs to start drilling in the fall.

I would imagine they are in international waters about a mile off the line?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I would imagine they are in international waters about a mile off the line?

I don't understand, 12 miles is the international line, not a mile. The problem is with OIL is that what is underground is connected in many cases so someone can drill off in international waters and affect oil within our 12 mile borders.

ANWR?

I would think that the feds have to give permission first than auction off the leases.

Also you have to read about standard oil and what they were doing and why the government stepped in, it wasn't because the consumer didn't get a deal but they wanted to start controlling more industries - the progressive movement.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't understand, 12 miles is the international line, not a mile. The problem is with OIL is that what is underground is connected in many cases so someone can drill off in international waters and affect oil within our 12 mile borders.

ANWR?

I would think that the feds have to give permission first than auction off the leases.

Also you have to read about standard oil and what they were doing and why the government stepped in, it wasn't because the consumer didn't get a deal but they wanted to start controlling more industries - the progressive movement.

Oh...like the Maine fisherman off the Grand Banks fishing for Cod when Canada has a fishing ban for depleted stock? Fish recognize borders right?

Maybe this is a good thing about China that is...twofold...if they drill thier own it might drop the world price by lessening thier demand AND it might push Congress to get moving about offshore drilling....either way it has a win,win written on it...

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
It is way past time for congress to change the law and allow drilling on the continental shelf. According to the oil companies and their spokespeople we have 35 years of oil and 75 years of natural gas just waiting to be pumped. So lets get the law about not drilling changed and get on with the pumping of that vast reserve. I enjoy the view along the CA coast of those oil platforms and would really like to see it from all vantages along the east coast and of course FL. Tourist dollars are of less concern then the free market oil being drilled for by cuba and south american dictators 50 miles off our coast. Still get a good laugh while reading the RWE responses that always support the current administration .Once they start admitting that these guys have really messed up, this country will be able to start dealing with our current problems,however, as long as the RWE continue to treat W as some kind of cult figure (right no matter what the facts ) no progress can be made toward the future. Wake up and maybe right and left will see they really have the same needs. Also get quite a laugh out of the left responses on these issues. Nothing is always the way it seems at first glance, both sides have good points but neither has it all correct( the sky is not falling and the greek and roman republic's lasted far longer then the ours has) working together on the real problems and not continualy restating your same old talking points is real progressive thinking/action but to much to ask for until real crisis emerges in our country,which hasn't happened yet .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dave I am hoping Congress sees the error of thier ways when they awken to a nice sunrise over the ocean and see Chinese oil rigs with Cihnese flag flapping spoiling the view!!!:eek:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Uhh, that would be Minnesota.