Chef Dennis's New CargoMax

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok, here we go..We picked it up in Columbus Ohio at Jack Maxton Chevrolet yesterday, March 18th....Drove back to Toledo, 136 mile and use approx 11 gallons of gas, as I said before in another thread, gas mileage is not this vans strong suit!! Heres hoping it gets better as it gets miles on it.

I went to work on it this morning and removed the partition and slding doors behind the seats and then cut and fitted the wall to cover the edge opening. Installed a wire rack and a new 2.5 cu ft. Refrig and a 1.1 cu ft microwave. Positioned the 2 JC305E-AC Trojan 6 volt floor scrubber batteries that will be the house bank, I have to install the inverters tomorrow.

After all the above was done, I drove down to the Cat Scale at the Pilot on alexis rd and I-75 in Toledo to get it weighted, as it sits with all of the above done and me in the truck it was 6750 lb....:D That works for me.

Now lets see if I can upload the pictures that I took as i went along...

Attachments

• IM000233.jpg
    IM000233.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 906
  • IM000234.jpg
    IM000234.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 730
  • IM000235.jpg
    IM000235.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 694
  • IM000237.jpg
    IM000237.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 826
  • IM000240.jpg
    IM000240.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 785
  • IM000244.jpg
    IM000244.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 692
  • IM000242.jpg
    IM000242.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 730
  • IM000241.jpg
    IM000241.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 794
  • IM000245.jpg
    IM000245.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 740
Last edited:

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Spacious! Looks like you have a mobile commercial kitchen there!!! lol!

Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
nice. jealous. of the truck not the fuel mileage. last 4 tanks on the hcv got over 15 3 times staying at 55-60.

how much ambient light comes in thru the roof or is that gonna be walled off?

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Very good but one question, are you leaving the microwave where it is or are you moving it out of your line of sight of the passenger window?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Hey Dennis. Now I know what I'm in for. That micro in front of that window, it doesn't bother you??
Is the back insulated?? Better get a gear jammer or change the rear gear to a 3:73, that mileage will eat your lunch.
Looks good, hope to get rolling on mine shortly.
I think it would be better w/o side door. I was waiting to see yours. Removing the p/seat really helps with room, don't need that door. Hope there is some left w/o.

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looks good, I would also take the extra stand up room over the extra MPG 's . You can buy alot of gas for the money you saved in buying this van over others. And REMEMBER its your money buying the van, so the only one that really needs to like it is you. But its nice of you to show PICS to the rest of us . Oh yeah what is inside measurement behind driver seat to the back doors. THANKS

Last edited:

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Looks nice. I remember seeing these at the Expo. Two years ago I think.

Also have to add my $.02 on the location of the fridge and microwave. I see a visit from an Ohio State Trooper in your future.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I actually have better vison with the microwave on the wire rack in this van then with the microwave in a bigger wooden cabinet that i built and installed in my old van that i have been running for almost 3 yrs...you get use to it...LOL, you "Square off alot of corners....so yea it is staying there. And the Ohio State troopers and those in NC and Bufflo NY have visited me in the last 3 yrs...no problems at all..and the Toledo Police have also paid i visit...again, no problems..no one never knows...:)

No it isn't insulated yet, just as wall covering of a "corrugated" plastic that I will be taking down and putting foil bubble and foam board insulation behind it then I'll cover the 1st 6ft with indoor ourdoor carpeting and also the 1st 6 ft of the translucent will be covered. It isn't clear, but it does let in good light...but I think the fiberglass will also let alot of cold transfer thru also during the cold weather...so roof in that 1st 6 ft will be insulated and covered and a MaxAir vent will be installed.

The interior height is 78" ft to rear with a 72" rear door opening. The load floor length is 14 ft.

As for the fuel mileage, i'll be more then happy if i hit 14-14.5 mpg with the setup as it is...but I will be making changes over time to improve it...the biggest being lifting my rt foot...:D

The E-track and plywood floor will go in tomorrow, and I'll be putting foil bubble insulation under the plywood...not sure if it will help keep the floor a bit warmer, but we will see.

Purgoose, no more "09's" without side doors...I ended up with the sidedoors and the rearview backup camara for the same price as the unit i put the deposit on without the sidedoors because of a screwup in Okla where josh sold the no last no side door unit when i took a few extra days to get my financing in place...there are "10's" with no side doors, but they also have the 6 speed and add a much to the price....

I told the Columbus dealer i would never pay the price for a current yr model if these, but when i could still gett a new 09 and save the kind of money I did, it was worth it...

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Congrats on the new addition to the family and becoming a fleet owner! :D

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Yea, I agree w/ the others in that it's a sweet looking van. Nice set up. Keep us posted on further improvements ya make.

A question for ya though. Why would ya want no side door? Is it not needed because of the height of the van & how ya can just walk back there from the drivers seat? My van is the standard size & I use my side door a fair amount when securing freight.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you take a look and think about it for a sec, the microwave covers just about the same, or less, than a person sitting there would cover. My TV screen covers just about the same as that microwave, and it's not a problem at all.

Looks good, man.

Refrigerator compressors don't give off sparks, do they? :D

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I know little about vans but your workmanship looks good. I envy the fun you are having setting up your new ride.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok here are 2 more. 1 shows the e-track and foil bubble insulation on the factory floor. the 2nd shows the 3/8" plywood floor between the e-track. The freight blocker board is set at 8.5 ft. beyond the board is 3.5 ft of available cargo floor when needed. When not needed that area beyond the board will be my "personal area" with a total of 5.75 ft from the board to the back edge of the rack holding the fring and micro wave...That are will have the walls, ceiling and floor insulated and the walls and ceiling and side doors will be covered in a indoor outdoor carpeting while the floor will get a upgraded carpet that can be rolled up when the freight floor os needed.

So there will be more to come..

Attachments

• IM000246.jpg
    IM000246.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 385
  • IM000247.jpg
    IM000247.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 394

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Very nice Chef! Makes me itch for a.new ride lol. Didnt think you could get a Cargomax light enough!

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

guido4475

Not a Member
Looks real nice, I am happy for you! a 14 ft body is rare for a van, isnt it? I'd love to have a spartan body on a Ford with 14'.