Cheap Freight to No Freight

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No. Basically another market driven business. Customers with money will go to the new, and people on a budget will opt for the old because both won't be the same price. With regards or comparison to transportation, it is like comparing expediting to a courier service.
we are nothing but a glorified courier service in reality no matter how high fluttin some people think we are...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I did courier once....at times much better then this....home every night and was paid by POD...points of delivery...

True. Everything is relevant. Expedite use to pay for rooms any time you laid over. Kind of disappeared. lol

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Exactly Dave.... Motel business comes to mind as well.... Big chains build new facilities and sell the older ones that in turn compete against them.... It would make more sense to tear down the old?
Not that it matters much here, but very few hotels and motels are owned by the name on the sign out front. Hilton, Hyatt, Days Inn, Best Western, lots of others, almost all are franchise locations owned by the franchisee or a hospitality management company.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Think back to the Roberts days and the way things were. Look at today,
how things have changed.

That is what I was thinking with regards to motels and layover. Couple hour detention, they would send you to a restaurant to eat and pay for it while the customer was getting freight ready. Ah, the good old days. lol

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last night I accepted and picked up an NLM in southern Missouri, delivering in Chicago for .79/mile total. It has been at least 2 years since I have accepted a reduced rate load. This one did get me to Chicago but I'm feeling cheap, used and a bit disappointed with myself. A shower would help but I'm sitting at an oasis on the tollway.

I did deliver this load 12 hours early so I feel a little better about myself. Maybe I'll just towel off with 3 or 4 Wet Wipes.