Cheap cargo van--good idea?

Kemmish

New Recruit
Researching
I am founder of a small technology startup with a very limited budget, in need of a cargo van. We can only spend a grand total of about $2500 right now, and want to save every penny we can.

We are considering buying a 1999 Ford E-250 Cargo van for $750. It has 390,000 miles, and has newish alternator, radiator, hoses, and good tires and brakes. It needs about $750 of work to replace plugs/inserts, and other problems seem mild. It has had a single owner who changes the oil religiously.

We need it to be able to drive across the country once, and then to be reliable for about 50 miles/day of driving.

Just from this info alone, would you go for it if you were in our shoes? Or would you expect it to break down badly and end up costing more than our $2500 budget?

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even with excellent maintenance I would only consider it as a local driver grocery getter or parts van. I would look for something in the 2,000 range. One option is if you have any amount of special commodity freight like equipment, try contacting a moving like United, Mayflower, Atlas or Allied and ask them if they can piggy back your product on a truck going your way. They have the experience and equipment to do the job right. I've done jobs like this several times when I ran with United several years ago. You will be have the freight picked up and delivered door to door or terminal to terminal.

It doesn't matter on how much you save on the van at first if you only for you break down and it costs you 2 grand to repair and get back on the road. or worse yet damage the freight, or be injured because of a major failure.

Good luck
Bob Wolf.

Reactions: neilblack

EricH

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Kemmish; I was a contract driver for a local company for 26 years and these types of vans is exactly what I would look for. One owner well kept CV's...Things you need to look out for, the tranny... did the owner do regular fluid and filter changes, you stated the oil was changed regular which is good, how about wheel bearings, belt(s) things like that? If you're not mechanically inclined I would have a local mechanic look at it prior to buying. I called my vans dispose-a-vans, buy cheap and get my 150,000 miles or so, the last one I had I just sold and I would have taken that van anywhere with no problems.

neilblack

Rookie Expediter
Kemmish; I was a contract driver for a local company for 26 years and these types of vans is exactly what I would look for. One owner well kept CV's...Things you need to look out for, the tranny... did the owner do regular fluid and filter changes, you stated the oil was changed regular which is good, how about wheel bearings, belt(s) things like that? If you're not mechanically inclined I would have a local mechanic look at it prior to buying. I called my vans dispose-a-vans, buy cheap and get my 150,000 miles or so, the last one I had I just sold and I would have taken that van anywhere with no problems.
Look at RENT A WRECK for a weekly rates. That is just a suggestion
Good luck.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The crystal ball isn't working but it could be the best $750 deal around or it could be a disaster. I know enough guys with vans with more than 400k miles I might have to take my socks off to count them all. It's a gamble but any used vehicle can be a gamble.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey--- my van resembles that remark!

This one I bought in 2011 with 183,000 miles already on it--- a '98 Chevy heavy 3/4 ton. It had problems that I had to work through, but right now with close to 600K on it it's good to go anywhere. If I were to sell it--- I'd be lucky to get scrap value. But--- it's paid for, it runs and it's safe.

In the case of the OP--- I'd want to start with more than $2500. Bet on the van needing work, and it doesn't take long to spend your way through 2500 even with general-maintenance things on a van this old and with that many miles.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not saying all high mileage vans are junk.. My 99 express has 250K on the clock and the only big ticket item I have had to deal with was the rear end grenade. Other than that I just had to replace a starter, the distributor 120 bucks ebay and a muffler summit 120 bucks. Yes its safe solid, reliable and luckily I am mechanically inclined. But if you aren't it can quickly become a money pit. I would still be hesitant running a strait shot coast to coast.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We need it to be able to drive across the country once......

I would focusing on addressing above statement.

What would the total cost be if there's a major breakdown and do you have emergency funds available for the repairs and other expenses?

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
What engine does it have? If its the 4.6 liter, the plugs will probably break when they have to be replaced, if you don't soak them with PB Blaster or carb cleaner. I had that engine in my 2008 E-250, and the only things I had to replace were the ball joints and the fuel filter. If I got back into the game, I would go with a low mileage E-250-350.

Kemmish

New Recruit
Researching
Thank you all for the advice--the gestalt I'm seeing is that it's a little bit too scary for my tastes. I'm a molecular engineer, not a mechanic ;-). I can operate a $2M electron microscope, but don't let me take things apart...

I think we're going to ask one of our investors to co-sign for financing for a late model used van instead.

Reactions: danthewolf00

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wouldn't go for a '99 van, unless I'll drive it locally. For your needs, to cross the country, try something much newer, I'd say at least ten years "younger" than the one you intend to buy...

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wouldn't go for a '99 van, unless I'll drive it locally. For your needs, to cross the country, try something much newer, I'd say at least ten years "younger" than the one you intend to buy...
Hmmmm...... My '98 has been working for me so far. Needed some work here and there, and when I first got it it needed quite a bit---- the penalty of having sat for a couple of years. But right now--- it's the best van I've ever had, hands down--- and I'd drive it cross-country without a worry.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmmmm...... My '98 has been working for me so far. Needed some work here and there, and when I first got it it needed quite a bit---- the penalty of having sat for a couple of years. But right now--- it's the best van I've ever had, hands down--- and I'd drive it cross-country without a worry.
Second hand or first owner?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Second hand or first owner?
I bought it used, with 183,000 miles on it. Seems from what I gathered that it had a couple of owners before me. Paperwork left in the van suggested a sound-crew or electronics outfit, and the other guy was the one who drove it maybe 200 miles in two years. Right now it has over 598,000 miles.