Charlotte and Atlanta at a all time low been stuck for 7 days...

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One must remember that the first week of the new month usually is the slowest week of the month.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I only need ONE more this week. An 08:00 Nashville to Dayton, OH please. LOL!!

ok nice you head to Dayton I'm going to Laredo or West Coast I'll settle for NM or CO at this point. The problem here is there is a food chain in the carrier system. I predict in the future it will be all large corporate carriers and guys with wifi on their trucks that book loads in truck stop parking lots. There are just too many middle men in this business. If you're in with any of the top larger expedite outfits you're usually good, but the company I work for is strictly bid board so it all a matter of low price and who is in the area bidding for even lower. Also closer to the freight can sometimes out weight the low price offer. I'm no expert here but this is just the way I've been finding things out working for a smaller carrier with no customers. The only thing that keeps them hanging is volume, they could care less how long a driver is sitting because they probably have 10 other loads going... Something has to give tomorrow. Thursday and Friday usually are the better days in this business. Chicago is the only place I know that cranks out the loads M-F

Last edited:

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Running bid board only can be treacherous & depressing. I should know.
Bid on 30 loads, assuming there are 30 to bid on, and not even a response from the brokers. Rude. Rude. Rude.
But just when you wipe the last tear off your cheek and close the chamber you land a load that keeps the dream alive.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back in Jackson GA again after running an Atlanta shorty for big $$$$ last night.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
IF you go back five years or so you will find a young man who sat for, as I recall. Over a month in Laredo. I believe his handle was PJ or TJ or something close.:eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ok nice you head to Dayton I'm going to Laredo or West Coast I'll settle for NM or CO at this point. The problem here is there is a food chain in the carrier system. I predict in the future it will be all large corporate carriers and guys with wifi on their trucks that book loads in truck stop parking lots. There are just too many middle men in this business. If you're in with any of the top larger expedite outfits you're usually good, but the company I work for is strictly bid board so it all a matter of low price and who is in the area bidding for even lower. Also closer to the freight can sometimes out weight the low price offer. I'm no expert here but this is just the way I've been finding things out working for a smaller carrier with no customers. The only thing that keeps them hanging is volume, they could care less how long a driver is sitting because they probably have 10 other loads going... Something has to give tomorrow. Thursday and Friday usually are the better days in this business. Chicago is the only place I know that cranks out the loads M-F

Volume is the buzz word....how do you think Pizza Hut can sell $5.00 pizzas?.....by selling 5 million of them a day.....Volume.....

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Running bid board only can be treacherous & depressing. I should know.
Bid on 30 loads, assuming there are 30 to bid on, and not even a response from the brokers. Rude. Rude. Rude.
But just when you wipe the last tear off your cheek and close the chamber you land a load that keeps the dream alive.

Keeping the dream alive here, finally got a load to Laredo tomorrow with only 10 deadhead miles to pick up and of course the deadhead to Dallas on Tuesday. From there I'll be looking to get west. AZ, CA, NV... would anyone know if Dallas or Houston has more runs going West? San Antonio/Austin not as busy 2nd week of the new quarter should be better then this week was. Glad this one is over!

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One call is fine if it is a profitable load.;) Only need one.

I'm not even going to say how cheap I'm taking this one for... about $350-400 less then everybody else would have. I sat for 8 days in a area that is known for a lot of freight... I had to check in a hotel just to keep my sanity. :) The first offer for Laredo out of NC... I missed because I didn't have a 3 skid Sprinter. I'll be taking the summer off to upgrade to larger sprinter.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Slow yes but Atlanta and Charlotte are in the top 10 busiest cities for expedited freight.
Yes they are in good freight areas but still freight volumes are lower and slower the first week of the month. Also the first qtr. just ended also so that can be added in also.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Keeping the dream alive here, finally got a load to Laredo tomorrow with only 10 deadhead miles to pick up and of course the deadhead to Dallas on Tuesday. From there I'll be looking to get west. AZ, CA, NV... would anyone know if Dallas or Houston has more runs going West? San Antonio/Austin not as busy 2nd week of the new quarter should be better then this week was. Glad this one is over!

Dunno. I only look at states where we are looking for loads from for us. Hope it works for you.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yea,but if those pizza's cost 5.25 to make,how long can they keep it up?

cuzz someone will always buy that can of pop or 6 overpriced chicken wings or garlic bread...to compensate....the pizza becomes the loss leader at this point...

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Actually that pizza for 5 bucks costs only $1.50 to make including labor and packaging. How do think Little Caesars made their money.

It certainly wasn't from how good there food is lol. About a half a mile from my high school is a little Caesars so that McDonald's and sonic were the most common lunch spots.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes they are in good freight areas but still freight volumes are lower and slower the first week of the month. Also the first qtr. just ended also so that can be added in also.

Ended up being a dry run so I've relocated to Carolina to see if I can grab another one to Laredo. I hope this coming week will be better then the last.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We usually don't sit too long in one spot. If we are in Atlanta, we start driving North. If we end up in Dallas we will wait a day or maybe two if its early in the week and then start heading to STL. In January, I sat a couple days in Eastern N.C. with no offers so drove to Kings Mountain and got a short jump to Roanoke, dead headed to Winchester just because it is closer to Ohio and got a run South of Nashville. Delivered and noticed 3 vans sitting in Nashville so dead headed towards Louisville. Got hit with another run to Michigan while still in Kentucky. I ended up with 4 runs that week. I did have to deadhead way too much that week but ended up with good miles and turned a profit. If there are several a head of you it's time to jump somewhere else. It seems like the harder I work, the luckier I get. I know it's hard to take some of the food money and put it in the tank when moving isn't a sure thing, but sitting and being number 4 in line is a sure loser. I hope everyone has more miles this week than they can handle and the rates are legendary as well.