Cell phones

paullud

Veteran Expediter
while sprint does have its problems, other carriers do also. if your sprint account is being shut off you need to update accounts. some older plans are not unlimited or have a cap. where is your brother that he is roaming 800 min. that seems alot. i have had then 7 yrs and never roamed that much. the new anything/anything plan is truly unlimited, no caps. you need to go to a sprint dealer and look at your plan. might be worth while.

is verizon now truly unlimited or do they still have the 5 gig cap on the data and charge after that. i know its not usually a big deal except if you stream alot of movies.

I have an unlimited plan for my aircard and that is their problem, they don't like the amount that I use. My brother is a driver as well so the roaming happens across the country. Sprint's new plan is not unlimited as they claim because if you use more than what they want or roam to much they send a letter to let you know if it continues they are going to disconnect you.

aileron

Expert Expediter
I have an HTC evo 4g on Sprint. I have unlimited text and data, and unlimited calls to and from any cell phone, no matter what company. Also free night and weekends beginning at 7. And I think 450 extra for anythingelse not included in the free stuff. I tether my laptop through the phone. Price? $50 a month, because of a good discount I get, but regular I think it would be 69 or 79. The best deal out there for me. Coverage is not bad at all. Who cares about a dropped call here and there?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Alerion I have the same plan but pay 123 a month how do I get your amazing discount???

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
why do you tether when the evo makes a wireless connection.

tj. sprint has a list of discounts available. a good salesperson in a store should be able to get you one

golfournut

Veteran Expediter

tj. sprint has a list of discounts available. a good salesperson in a store should be able to get you one

Sprint wants $30 a month to do that. If you root your phone, then you can do it for FREE! And you can do many other things that you can't do with a "stock" phone.

Here us the link to learn how to root an Evo. WWW.evo4forum.net

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

Last edited:

aileron

Expert Expediter

I rooted my phone and I can use wireless tether, but I only do it when I need the internet for short periods of time.

The battery on the evo is pretty bad to begin with, and when you turn on the wireless tether, you can almost see the bar going down. I would be dead in about 3 hours, I think.

So, for long internet sessions, I plug my phone to the computer and tether through PdaNet and the phone gets charged in the process.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I rooted my phone and I can use wireless tether, but I only do it when I need the internet for short periods of time.

The battery on the evo is pretty bad to begin with, and when you turn on the wireless tether, you can almost see the bar going down. I would be dead in about 3 hours, I think.

So, for long internet sessions, I plug my phone to the computer and tether through PdaNet and the phone gets charged in the process.

I got the bigger battery at Sprint. I get about 6 to 8 hrs using WiFi tether, internet, playing games and phone. If I just do standby, 2 days.

What Rom are you using? I use Fresh.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
What does "root" the phone mean?

Through the "settings" menu option, the phone can be set as the wireless 'brain' for the PC, making it the basis of internet connection.

For an extra fee, it can also be set as a wireless 'hotspot', meaning no tethering.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

aileron

Expert Expediter

To root the phone means to get root access to your phone. In other words, you 'crack' the software on the phone and you can do with the phone other things that the manufacturer and cell company prevents you from doing. One example is that I can get free wireless tether, instead of paying $30 a month if I wasn't rooted.
You also need to know what you are doing, cause you can 'brick' you phone. This means you can damage it permanently, and only will be good for a door stopper or paperweight. Not to mention that doing this void the warranty.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I know that most companies offer a discount. When we were with TS, we were able to use their discount at Verizon.

dad4evr1

Seasoned Expediter
Droid 2 Global with verizon...I haven't seen a better service out here, I have free navigation and trust me, it is top of the line. I've run it concurrent with my Garmin and I trust it over Garmin any day. Son, daughter and I share a 2100 minute plan and each of us pay $65 toward the base and I pay $30 extra for my unlimited data plan...the 3G service is so great that my laptop has become a simple vehicle for watching movies from redbox. IMHO, the verizon/droid combo is simply the best. I did take a shot at an I-phone and I honestly loved it, just couldn't deal with the virtual keyboard...no "feel" to it at all, plus my thumbs are too big haha.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter

Basically it is what aileron said. To take it a little forward... the Android system is "open source" meaning the software of the phone is available to anyone to do what they want. Rooting is the process that gets you into the software.

Phones run off of roms and kernals together. Each one does something different in requires to how your phone reacts to different functions. Like phone calls, where to save contacts (phone or SD card), games,
Internet, battery usage, speed, videos, apps, and many others.

The Rom is the part that gives you control of all that stuff. Developers create Roms (since it is software) for free, that "customize" a phone more toward specific tasks.
For example, your particular usage is internet, games, Facebook, video, accounting, printing, gps nav. So a developer creates a Rom that would do those functions faster with less battery drain. So they may tweek how memory is shared what storage to use and how to tweak the "radio".

As you can imagine, there are countless uses that people would want out if their "smart phone". So this process makes it more smarter.
For that reason, there are multitudes of roms available. It takes research to find a particular Rom that meets your specific needs. Typically, there will be one available.
Like all software some work better than others. So if you "flash" a Rom and don't like it, just find another.
The neat thing is there are apps specifically made for rooted phones that allow you to do more with your phone other than just having a high dollar phone for calls and internet.

Some draw backs are, as aileron mentioned, brick your phone. If you can't read and follow directions this process is not for you. Otherwise its pretty safe, but it does take time to read and learn BEFORE you attempt it.
Also void the warranty on the phone, usually. There are ways around it.

It can be time consuming.
Hope this explains it a little more.

Check out the link I posted earlier. Tells you EVERYTHING you need to know and the some. Has all the roms, kernals, radios etc... you could ever want. Some are easy and some are more difficult if your not tech savy like me.

buckwheat

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks to everyone for the info. I learned a few things that'll help me decide which way to go.

P.S. Hello to Load1 Sprinter #239. Saw you at the Tawas Mi. Walmart a few days ago and was going to buy invite to the McDonalds for coffee but was afraid you were sleeping.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
If you have a fedex id you get a 22% discount with Verizon.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
in 1989 I got my 1st cell phone.After being misinformed by Cell1,i received a 2100,1 month phone bill,Do to them not precenting the phone as it should have been,I didn't have to pay that bill.THe next plan I got was GTE,that became Alltel.Gte split areas,and where I live,part became Alltel the other Verizon.THe plan I had for 200 dollars a month let me talk 2000 mins a month.Later they changed their plan and for 60 bucks,had a friends and family plan that was 60 bucks a month and had unlimited calls to 10 numbers.
I had problems with different areas of the country so I got a second service,Sprint.Since they offered Nascar on their phone,I went to the simply everything plan,99.99 a month and could do everthing,text,talk watch stuff on the cell.They then came out with the same plan for 69.99 and you could get a discount if you were with the right trucking company.This let you do unlimited everything except talk to a land line.Since I still had my Alltel with the 10 friends i went to the new plan at sprint.Alltel has become Verizon,and like an idiot,I got rid of Sprint.Verizon made me a deal if I were to switch my Alltel and they would buy my remaining contract to Sprint,and Would give me an air card free if I would sign a 2 year contract.As soon as Jan 12 comes,I'm going back to Sprint.You actually get more for less.Im paying 89.95 for text and talk,verizon,nd 50 bucks for their 4 g network.For me to go on line woith my cell its another 40 bucks a month.Sprint for 110 a month,will have unlimited text talk online capabilities from my phone,and be on line with their air card with my lap top.I suggest Sprint,and their working area is just as good as my Verizon.I know since Ive had both before

Last edited: