CDL ?

zanico

Expert Expediter
I'm new to this and still researching the business, hopeing to jump in if I can get someone to hire me. Anyway, this might be a stupid question but I want to make sure I have this correct. Any truck with a GVW under 26,000, you do not need a CDL to operate. Is this correct?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You are correct,under 26,000 you do not need a CDL however most of the large expediting companies require a CDL even if you are driving a lawn mower.

OUTLAW

Seasoned Expediter
Hello, i went to the expedite expo in ohio last week, an what they told me was i need a cdl, but i dont have to go to school for a stright truck, i just need to pass the writen test for the cdl, for a t/t u have to go to school. Outlaw

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Outlaw,

First thing is that the state of Michigan is somewhat messed up, the class C commercial license and Chauffeurs license is something that could be interchanged. The state never really defined differences between the class C and Chauffeurs license and for you to have a class C, you have to get a Chauffeurs license first. If you are driving a van, class c is alright, a few carriers will take you.

But in order for you to get any commercial drivers license in Michigan, you have to first pass the tests (depending on if you want Hazmat or Air Brake endorsement) and take a road test. NO CHOICE. You do not have to attend any school even for a class A, just prove that you can drive the truck.

I would advise that if you are going to do this, get a class B with both the Air Brake and Hazmat. The catch here is the Hazmat clearance (I think it is $95 for finger printing and background check) but you can take the test, apply for the clearance, get the road test over with and add the endorsement later once you get clearance – this way you can still get with a carrier who requires Hazmat endorsement.

The road test is easy; it is spelled out in the CDL study manual. I rented a 14’ Isuzu delivery truck to take my test, I got a class C because of the messed up SOS we have in this state. I had a great tester who actually fell asleep during the road test and complained I wasn’t watching my mirrors – how would he know snoring away? Well I passed and now I am in the process of upgrading right now from a c to a b and again I am going to rent a truck to take my road test. This time I am going to rent a flat bed truck with a shorter wheelbase to make it easier for me.

Oh they will say that you will need a 26K GVW or better truck to take the test in for class B, if the testing place does not rent trucks (mine didn’t), I would call SOS in Lansing and ask them if it is alright to take the test in a 25K truck – otherwise you may have to have someone else drive the truck to the testing location. I think that there is a testing location in Woodhaven that rents trucks.