CDL

Wolf_Exp

Expert Expediter
Was reading on the website the rules for CDL's. But from your guys' experience-- 14' box vans/trucks with the van front end-- would you need CDL for those or not? Not running hazmat.

Doug

elton10

Expert Expediter
It depends on the weight rating and some states may have different rules. In GA if the truck is rated under 26,000 pounds(and a 14 ft would likely be) you would only need a CDL to carry hazmat. Over 26 K you need a Class B CDL with air brakes endorsement

Wolf_Exp

Expert Expediter
So your saying-- that if its less then 26,000 lbs and I do not carry haz-mat-- I wont need a CDL? So then whats the requirement for a CDL A?

elton10

Expert Expediter
Right..The CDL A is for "combination vehicles" i.e tractor trailers or ( I think) vehicles pulling trailers in excess of 10,000 pounds

MSinger

Expert Expediter
It is my understanding that if the GVWR is 10,001 or above you need to have a DOT medical card which shows you passed the same physical as the CDL holder, plus if you travel over 100 miles from your home base you have to carry a log just like the big trucks.
GM makes a 3500 series van that has a GVWR of 10,000#. They are generally 15' long. Penske uses them alot in their rental business.
That would probably be the way to go. You can usually find used ones on eBay fairly reasonable.
If anyone has any additions or corrections to this feel free to fire away.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Most expedited freight companies require a cdl no matter what size vehicle you drive. If you are, or will be, leased to one of these companies you, should check out what their requirements are.