CDL-B and SSD

BeecherKen

Active Expediter
Anyone have any experience with this: I am considering upgrading to a S/T. My wife would go on the road with me but to have her drive she would need her CDL-B. She is on disability for nerve damage to her spine. She would only drive when necessary like if I got sick or needed a couple hours rest. Does anyone know if getting her CDL-B would affect her disability benefits?

Cuuzzz

Seasoned Expediter
My brother is similar. Getting his CDL wouldn't affect his SSD but visa-versa. Because he is on strong meds, he can't get his CDL. If your wife is taking a narcotic, she might not be able to get them.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Lemme get this straight.....

She has professed to the government that she is disabled and therefore unable to, um, work.

You want her to get her CDL, so that she can, um......work.

Which one's right?

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Don't. I know you want her for emergency driving only (as stated in your op), but getting that could raise a red flag to the feds and no matter what you testify, they won't believe it. Let her go along for the ride like I do. She can provide companionship and do all the things from the passenger seat you can't do while driving, like read maps, look up info on her smartphone, program the radio and GPS, make phone calls, etc.

If you get sick? You get sick. Sorry. Pop a Dayquil and keep going. Like you do now.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

MCGohio1985

Active Expediter
My uncle was on disabled from work because of back problems. Because he was siting all day in the office but was able to start a landscaping business because he was moving and not sitting all day I would ask her doctor if driving would be bad for her? Or hurt her with her SSD

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

BeecherKen

Active Expediter
She could pass a DOT physical. She can drive up to two hours here. She might have trouble with shifting something I didnt think of. That makes it differrent. I wouldnt want to risk making her condition worse any faster than its going to progress on its own or lose benefits and I wondered if it would cause her to lose her benefits. Thanks everyone and Beebs I should have known you would know.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
My dad is on ssd (retired t/t driver of 23 years) and he got a letter after being approved stating he could earn an additional $700 a month. Any more could result in termination of benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
You can work and earn "x" amount, but it's the type of work you do too that matters. She couldn't do this for very long, with the repetitive upper body motion. Then she would be 100% out of the game and Uncle Barry would want all his money back and then some. Best to leave it alone in her case. Good thing you asked before you just went ahead and did it.

Last edited:

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Lemme get this straight.....

She has professed to the government that she is disabled and therefore unable to, um, work.

You want her to get her CDL, so that she can, um......work.

Which one's right?

As stated in other posts, one can work and earn a specified amount even when drawing SSD. Both are right. It just depends on the type of work. Repetitive shifting for someone with an upper back/neck issue would be frowned upon by the federales.

gospelriders

Seasoned Expediter
Anyone have any experience with this: I am considering upgrading to a S/T. My wife would go on the road with me but to have her drive she would need her CDL-B. She is on disability for nerve damage to her spine. She would only drive when necessary like if I got sick or needed a couple hours rest. Does anyone know if getting her CDL-B would affect her disability benefits?

my wife drove for ups part time before we started team driving. one thing that had to be addressed was her back issues before we took on weeks of driving without a break. there is a place called bonati laser spine institute in fla. that we went to that took care of 98% of her back problems. you might want to check them out. they just ask you to send recent mri to them and they do evaluation at no charge.by the way she was on heavy pain meds and now is drug free.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
She would have to get a Medical card, if you do that then your showing shes not disabled and able to work anytime, even if she went to get her physical, the new physicals with lifting and raising your arms overhead, toes to head etc, would she be able to pass that, Again if she does, your disability claim goes right out the window. I would use her as Navigator, Trip Planner, Log keeper, Mileage and routing, and leave the driving to you. Having a CO-Driver youll have to keep logs for both of you showing her status etc....Its not worth the risk or damage she might incur if she has nerve damage your going to need a real good air ride seat to prevent hurting her more, S/T dont ride like a cadillac even with Air Suspension, Air ride seats etc Its still a bumpy ride in parts of the country that take pride in presenting a Bumpy pot hole filled cow path and calling it an Interstate....I think you would be risking her disability and I wouldnt do it...My 2 Cents