Cat c9 coolant

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Ty guys, I do appreciate your help and I know many of you have already went through the motions in many of these repairs, I will say compared to our last truck with the mbe-900 this cat9 is a whole lot better

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Injector sleeves are leaking, fuel system operations at higher pressure than coolant system. So when o ring on the sleeves starts to fail, you get fuel in the coolant.

And when you shut the motor off, the hot coolant is still under pressure and pushes coolant into the fuel, and it will show up in the fuel/water separator bowl.

Not sure what is meant when said "overflow jug is backing up" but if is blowing coolant out, you may have bigger problems. Drop your overflow jug's spill hose in a bucket of water when the motor is warm, cap on jug in place, idle motor and look for air bubbles. If bubbles, you have a cracked head or head gasket. The fuel lost into the coolant was not much when my one sleeve starting leaking, but you will see some sludge on the bottom of the overflow jug cap.

Let us know what you find.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
On a long trip I get fuel in my overflow tank, I'm not loosing coolant but you can see the diesel floating on top of the coolant in the overflow tank, oil is fine and some coolant present in the water separator, truck runs at 150 to 160 degrees, I'm most likely taking in for a pressure test but I'm already making preparations to replace the sleeves and injector cups

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I guess what I was asking was, will the diesel that's escaping through the crack in the cup/sleeve collect in the coolant overflow tank? It does not run hot, I have great power, great heater and no checkengine light, trying to be optimistic here ya know

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
I guess what I was asking was, will the diesel that's escaping through the crack in the cup/sleeve collect in the coolant overflow tank? It does not run hot, I have great power, great heater and no checkengine light, trying to be optimistic here ya know

The diesel in the overflow and some coolant in the fuel/water separator is exactly what I had when the o-ring leaked on one of my sleeves. More then likely new o-rings and sleeves will solve your problem, just be sure they flush the cooling system good. Here is what the sleeve look like;
Caterpiller Cat 3126 Injector Sleeve and Injector Oring KT | eBay

Here is the thread I started when I had your very symptoms;
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/53490-cat-coolant-fuel.html

I mentioned making my own sleeve puller, but also wanted to mention how I made my own installer. I took a new sleeve to Menards and found a large screw driver with a hard plastic handle that fit partially into the sleeve. After pulling the old sleeves, I used a torch to heat up one of the old sleeves and forced the screw driver handle into the sleeve to melt it to a perfect fit. After hardening back, I had the perfect installer/driver for $4.99. Clean out the injector holes good with a scotch brite sponge, vacuum out good, put the o-rings on, wipe on a little lithium grease and pound the sleeves home.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
The diesel in the overflow and some coolant in the fuel/water separator is exactly what I had when the o-ring leaked on one of my sleeves. More then likely new o-rings and sleeves will solve your problem, just be sure they flush the cooling system good. Here is what the sleeve look like;
Caterpiller Cat 3126 Injector Sleeve and Injector Oring KT | eBay

Here is the thread I started when I had your very symptoms;
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/53490-cat-coolant-fuel.html

I mentioned making my own sleeve puller, but also wanted to mention how I made my own installer. I took a new sleeve to Menards and found a large screw driver with a hard plastic handle that fit partially into the sleeve. After pulling the old sleeves, I used a torch to heat up one of the old sleeves and forced the screw driver handle into the sleeve to melt it to a perfect fit. After hardening back, I had the perfect installer/driver for $4.99. Clean out the injector holes good with a scotch brite sponge, vacuum out good, put the o-rings on, wipe on a little lithium grease and pound the sleeves home.

Your awesome sir tyvm, I truly appreciate all the help

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
A little tip that I did was to place the cups in a freezer for a day, an old mechanic gave me this tip, he said the cups would contract and install easier.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
A little tip that I did was to place the cups in a freezer for a day, an old mechanic gave me this tip, he said the cups would contract and install easier.

Ty sir I always appreciate tips, even more so when I'm trying to save a buck or two

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Not sure what it was before, but could tell it was down. Now it back around 10

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Ty sir, ever have any issues with your air compressor on this engine? Mine is starting to sound like its on its last leg