Cat 3126 question

wlben66

Seasoned Expediter
I was in a CAT facility the other day to have some work done on the 3126, and ask the mechanic about idleing to stay warm.
He said that it was ok but I should bump up the idle speed from 700 to about 1000 rpm's. He said that running the 3126 at 700 rpm's is not good for them.
I said that I had done this with an idle stick and he said I can also us the cruise to do the same thing. And he proceeded to show me how.
Anyway...has anyone else heard or had expreiance that would conferm this?
The "this" I'm refering to is not the method of setting the idle, but that the 3126 doesn't like to run all night at 700 rpm.
Thanks.
w

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bump it up, no engine likes the reduced oil flow at idle for long periods of time. Better yet, think about an APU, you'll save money and be happier.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
I do that daily as the oil pressure drops to 25lbs if left at idle, usually around 900-1000 works nicely and as a bonus the Freightshaker smooths out noticeably at 1000. What bugs me is having to reset the set speed every time I shut down.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
The condition is known as "wet-stacking" - read the following white paper (Microsoft Word doc) by Raytheon Technical Services Company for a detailed explanation and understanding of the problem and why you want to avoid it:

"What is Wet Stacking ?"

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I bumped mine up 900 to 1000 because it ran smoother and I could sleep with less vibration. Idling has always been known to be hard on your engine. But until recently, what other options did we have? And if you drive the older trucks, it is still a way of life.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Unless the truck is to be sold soon, I'm not sure I follow the logic either?

whitey2

Seasoned Expediter
They don't make the CAT3126, nor the trucks that they went in anymore. There are a glut of these high mileage (over 500k, typically an FL70) on the market and the prices for these used trucks are accordingly in a free-fall. Most carriers have an age limit for the trucks, further reducing their value.
I suppose if you are with a carrier like Panther that will keep you on once you sign on (despite the age of the truck), and you are committed to your particular truck for the long haul, you could invest the 30-70% value of your truck in an APU.
I suppose you could always move the APU to your new truck, I'm not sure how much that would cost.
I am not anti-APU, in fact I am rather jealous.
I'm just not convinced about the wisdom of adding that kind of expense to an older truck, even if I was planning to keep it "forever".