Carrier cutting rates

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We are a team in a straight truck with E-1 and as I read through these I can only laugh. we knew pay decreases were coming but we knew they were coming for the right reasons. We had our most profitable months in January and February than we have ever had with any other company and in this industry these months are usually slower months as we all know but we are running miles we usually only see in the busier months. And I believe E-1 when they tell us more miles are coming because we have already seen it. We saw a team from a competitor 'meow' company at the truck stop the other day who had only 1300 miles in a week. we ran that in two days. so everyone can make jokes and laugh at our rate decerases as much as they want but all i can say is we have the freight we are running non stop and our paychecks will not be affected by the change because we are seeing more miles now than we have in the last year and it will only get better from here. How many of you can say that? We have been with E-1 for 2 years now this company has never given is reason to believe that what they do is for the better. Its one of the best companies we have ever worked for. Now I have to go because we have to hit the road. Just dropped in PA and heading to pick up a load in PA to Laredo for Monday drop and redlivery Laredo for drop in Michigan for Tuesday night. :D

Well, this is my third rate reduction in 8 years. started with .77 +100% FSC, 1.05 +100% FSC, 1.15 +100% FSC.

Note- Sprinter rates

1st rate reduction

.70 +50% FSC, .80 + 50 % FSC, 1.00 and 1.05 both + 50% FSC

2nd
.70 + who knows % of FSC
1.00 +" "

3rd

After the smoke cleared, no I did not make more. I made more miles and fact check, less money.

Feb. was my best Feb of the 8 I've been with E-1, using the new rate reduction it would not have been the same. I know I know, "but you say I will get more miles" so what. More miles, expense's up, crappy FSC, less or less O/I much lower.

Old rate I got 70.00 bucks D/H pay, new rate using the .35 for D/H pay was a lot less than I got anyway. the only thing that is just a little bit better than running with a Multi Carrier format is the D/H and FSC pay.

Now, one thing I am thinking about doing, is going to 9 feet of cargo. Lower my height to 55", lower my weight down 500 to 800 lbs. I think that is a fair .80 pm rate for a Sprinter.
That way I will not have to worry about sleeping in the seat with 3 skids behind me.

Now, if you want to run more and shorten the life of your equipment, go for it. It will work for you. Lets see how you feel about it when the new rates kick in Sunday. Then you will see how much your loss is. Try it for a month.

You know we bill out to the customers the highest FSC of anyone....... Where is your fair share. My part of 100% of FSC is going in the pot to pay yours and yours in the pot to help out our T/T friends, and what's left over is used to give each other a raise in the Home Office......... :cool:

No one likes change.

However, If I am on a burnning ship and I look over the rail and see a life boat, I will be changing My situation very quickly to get in the life boat.

It's a shame to me, that Express-1 is no longer a leader in this field.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am just truly amazed at how many in our industry seem to lack a calculator or the basic concepts of operating one.
Then again, it could be recruiters posing as drivers. Never want to ASSUME something.
BTW....where is Forrest?:cool:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am just truly amazed at how many in our industry seem to lack a calculator or the basic concepts of operating one.
Then again, it could be recruiters posing as drivers. Never want to ASSUME something.

If one takes off the blinders...and if you disregard Panthers silly rules...the Panther rate is looking pretty good now....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Don't know on vans but on straights it blows it away. They weren't even there before the rate cut.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I thought the same thing. Two poster's one has 1 post the other 2.... oh, will you look at that- both joined in Feb 2013...... Forrest is out running, saying- "stupid is as stupid does"

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The funny thing is that Gibbs accidentally says that E-1 has never given them the reason to believe that what they do is for the better.
He also brags that as a team they ran 1300 miles in two days !
Wow ! Where does one sign up ?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The best plan I can think of ...buy a cheap CV and run the guts out of it for as long as you can...keep the PM down, don't invest a lot of $$$$ into it and then dump it after 3-4 yrs and start all over....that is what carriers seem to want......

seems that is what Gibbs will be doing....a team straight running a lot of miles can easily gross 200,000 gross a year...run it into the ground for 3 years and there ya go...

Last edited:

bryantfan114

Active Expediter
"Well, this is my third rate reduction in 8 years."

So what has kept you at E-1 for 8 years then? I've been there for 4 and have no intentions on leaving. Just curious??

zorry

Veteran Expediter
B114- you missed the sarcasm I wouldn't brag that my team ran 1300 miles in two days.
A solo,1300 miles in two days is great.
A team, 1300 miles in ONE day is good.
A team running 1300 miles in two days isn't a braggable fact. .
Even as I was learning expediting I didn't settle for E-1 type rates.
If you enjoy them, drive on.

bryantfan114

Active Expediter
I'm not on this post to argue just simply here to say I have been with E-1 for 4 years now and no matter what has happened along the way , new owners, new president , I have never been steered in the wrong direction. I am not going anywhere. Happy E-1 driver.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
B-1-114 joined today and deleted his second post.
These guys are going feel silly when they sober up Monday.

bryantfan114

Active Expediter
B-1-114 joined today and deleted his second post.
These guys are going feel silly when they sober up Monday.

Deleted the second post because I made you look like a ******* :cool: Joined today to stand up for my company and will no longer be posting on here because I have better things to do with my time like pick up a 1,576 mile load tomorrow morning at 8. Night everyone no more posts from the Kobe Bryant fan so proceed as you wish.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I dont think you realize customers are going with lower rates with other carriers to save every penny they can which is why we have seen a decrease in miles. In this industry we just can't compete with the ma and pa companies out there because they are bidding lower. So yeah we are making about 15 cents less than 4 months ago than we are now but because we have adapted to the changes in the industry we are seeing the miles again and are not sitting for 24-48 hours at some truck stop in PA. Nature of the business and indusrtuy just get use to it. You want to make more and sit more or do you want to do what makes sense and be putting miles on your truck and making revenue? Dont talk to me about not understanding this industry because I have been driving for over 17 years and have seen every thing you can imagine. We were with other expediters and we sat. Sitting makes you no money. Running does. I dont care what you say times are changing and we are with them. So now I really have to go because we are heading out.

Yes and as stated elsewhere in this thread E-1 is lowering the rates to attract some customers that they used to have contracts with. Then when those customers go back to E-1, Panther or some other company will lower the rates even more to get them back, and the vicious cycle will continue until all of the drivers go bankrupt. The deivers are the ones who are caught in this ridiculous price war. How can a company increase gross revenue by 180 percent and still have a 9 million dollar loss? It seens that not only are the O/O's at E-1 running at a loss but so is the company. Also I doubt you guys own your truck. The only person who would be happy about more miles and less pay is a fleet driver that doesn't really care if the truck gets ran into the ground as long as their paycheck is steady!

Last edited by a moderator:

guido4475

Not a Member
Yes and as stated elsewhere in this thread E-1 is lowering the rates to attract some customers that they used to have contracts with. Then when those customers go back to E-1, Panther or some other company will lower the rates even more to get them back, and the vicious cycle will continue until all of the drivers go bankrupt. The deivers are the ones who are caught in this ridiculous price war. How can a company increase gross revenue by 180 percent and still have a 9 million dollar loss? It seens that not only are the O/O's at E-1 running at a loss but so is the company. Also I doubt you guys own your truck. The only person who would be happy about more miles and less pay is a fleet driver that doesn't really care if the truck gets ran into the ground as long as their paycheck is steady!

You are so right, as this not only applies to E-1, but other companies as well who continually drop their driver pay rate, expecting them to take up the slack. As I said earlier, I really wonder if it is the price to the customer that is being lowered, along with the driver pay, or just the driver pay itself?

I also wonder, if they are fleet owner drivers, if their pay will be less as well.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"Well, this is my third rate reduction in 8 years."

So what has kept you at E-1 for 8 years then? I've been there for 4 and have no intentions on leaving. Just curious??

I would answer that, but you said you would not be comming back. You will not see the the answer.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I'm not on this post to argue just simply here to say I have been with E-1 for 4 years now and no matter what has happened along the way , new owners, new president , I have never been steered in the wrong direction. I am not going anywhere. Happy E-1 driver.

When you are blind and in a desert there really is no way to be steered in the wrong direction.