Carrier Corp. leaving the U.S.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
unfortunate for the workers....been there done that when Firestone shutdown my plant when bought by Bridgestone....

and this government has done nothing to be business friendly... either party....still this is one of the highest corporate taxed countries in the world.....

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I read last week Ford motor company was also building a new plant in Mexico...500,000 jobs possibly..??
Can't find link to that story yet.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Senator Joe Donnelly is not happy. Chris Nelson of Carrier Corporation, who is President of HVAC systems and services for North America, stated the reason for having to move to Mexico was "burdensome federal regulations," but when pressed by Donnelly to name just one of those regulations, Nelson could not think of any. Not even one. Then Nelson talked about being closer to suppliers in Mexico, but once again, when pressed by Donnelly to name which parts and supplies they couldn’t get in Indiana or whether they would get a better deal on the parts in Mexico, Nelson responded with a lot of nothing. Didn't have that data in front of him (despite the details of which being the impetus for the move).

Carrier in Indy pays workers starting at $24 an hour. In Mexico the wage is a little under $5 a day. Nelson grudgingly admitted that it would be cheaper to manufacture its products in Mexico. What a stand-up guy.

Donnelly expects Carrier to pay back the more than $5 million taxpayer dollars in job performance related subsidies given to Carrier, not to mention the other several millions dollars in state, local and federal tax credits they've received in the process.

Reactions: NorthernBill

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with Carrier....the business must survive and be profitable to be able to grow.....the wage difference is just too much in the worlds economy...it sucks, but that life...

it could mean more loads out of Laredo....:p

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I posted this opinion on November 9, 2007. It explains what happened with Carrier.

THIS PREDICTION FROM THE EARLY 90s WAS SPOT ON.

I attended an economics/labor mgt seminar in the early 90s. This was sponsored by Loyola Univ. in Chicago.

The Jesuit professor that was lecturing said that the American way of life would change dramatically within the next 30-40 years.

He pointed out that America, like it or not, is being forced into the world's work force and economy.

And, it would take 30-40 years for our standard of living to decline, while waiting for the rest of the world's cheap labor force to strike an even balance.

He was right. Our high paying mfg jobs and even many tech jobs have since been outsourced to cheaper labor. (i.e., Mexico, India, China)

Until our labor force can match what foreign countries can produce at a much cheaper price, we will continue to slide towards a third world life style while watching them steal our economic strength. (Or, what is left of it.)

Be safe.

Reactions: Moot

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I posted this opinion on November 9, 2007. It explains what happened with Carrier.

THIS PREDICTION FROM THE EARLY 90s WAS SPOT ON.

I attended an economics/labor mgt seminar in the early 90s. This was sponsored by Loyola Univ. in Chicago.

The Jesuit professor that was lecturing said that the American way of life would change dramatically within the next 30-40 years.

He pointed out that America, like it or not, is being forced into the world's work force and economy.

And, it would take 30-40 years for our standard of living to decline, while waiting for the rest of the world's cheap labor force to strike an even balance.

He was right. Our high paying mfg jobs and even many tech jobs have since been outsourced to cheaper labor. (i.e., Mexico, India, China)

Until our labor force can match what foreign countries can produce at a much cheaper price, we will continue to slide towards a third world life style while watching them steal our economic strength. (Or, what is left of it.)

Be safe.
I've said before as well...unless the US smartens up, they'll be left behind.....the world only needs the US to be consumers....the world is getting much smaller.

TDave

Expert Expediter
This thread is funny. Yes companies have to be able to compete and control costs. After all they have to earn money. But how can a company compete with such ludicrous labor wages like $5 a DAY like you see in the developing nations?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mexicans are anywhere between five and seven dollars an hour... Some more ...some less ... Right now it jsucks to be us.. In some ways...

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unfortunately, the Genie is out of the bottle.

The only way to return these jobs to America is to lower the cost of US labor. Which will have a devastating impact on the standard of living.

Trump talks about taxing imports. Not sure it will work but it's worth a try.

Reactions: Moot