cargo weight

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thank you for saying that Charles, I have to deal with a van who can put on 4000lbs and under cut my rate by 40%.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
I really don't see the issue here. My van can scale 3516 legal all without the spring upgrade. I installed them along with steering stabilizers and sway bars front and rear so I could do it comfortably. 4000 is technically over the limit but for short trips I will even go 4500 without breaking a sweat.

If you don't like the fair prices on 4000 pound loads then don't accept them. It's not your load until you agree to deliver it.

fired at you from my Droideka

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't know what kind of springs you have on that van, but whenever I haul 3150 pounds in my GMC 3500 Extended Van, it feels like i'm driving an 18 wheeler. I can feel the weight pushing and pulling me in the seat every time I hit a bump, and breaking power is reduced by 50 percent. I have to drive 60mph in congested areas in order to make sure that I have enough stopping distance. There have been times when i've had really close calls while the van was empty and if I would have had 3k in the back, things would not have turned out as well as they did.

Yes you can get "helper springs and sway bars" to help with the stability of the load and the handling of the van; but you can't get more breaking power. I'm not worried about the van handling smoothly around corners at that weight as much as I am worried about being able to stop if I get into a sticky situation. I have loaded a 1500 van with 2100 pounds before, and believe me, it was one heck of a ride. I'll never attempt that one again.

It is what it is! If you want to tear your equipment up like that on a load; be my guest. I'm done with all that jive. I'm gonna list my van at 2800 pounds with my next carrier and that's all there is to it. I'm not gonna budge or be pushed over my weight limits this time around! One other thing. If you ever do get into an accident and they find out you're overweight, you are gonna go be in some deep sheet. I'm not trying to bash you, Zed, i'm just trying to look at this from a safety standpoint is all.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Like I said before. 4000 lbs is a straight truck load. Period. The problem is now you can't get straight truck money for 4000 lb loads because of companies putting them on vans. I say maybe it's high time to scale vans. That would put a stop to that pretty fast.

buckwheat

Seasoned Expediter
My concern with too much weight would lean more toward axles, bearings, tires and braking. Stabilizers, extra springs, air lifts, etc. will level a vehicle out but won't do anything to shore up an axle or bearings. I figure I can come close to what I'd need by making a few minor mods on the sprinter but ultimately I may have to leave the rum, wenches and cannon balls along the road somewhere. By moving the heaviest skid all the way to the front it may stabilize the load and control ability enough to ba able to keep a couple of wenches on board. Anything less would be......................uncivilized.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
I don't know what kind of springs you have on that van, but whenever I haul 3150 pounds in my GMC 3500 Extended Van, it feels like i'm driving an 18 wheeler. I can feel the weight pushing and pulling me in the seat every time I hit a bump, and breaking power is reduced by 50 percent. I have to drive 60mph in congested areas in order to make sure that I have enough stopping distance. There have been times when i've had really close calls while the van was empty and if I would have had 3k in the back, things would not have turned out as well as they did.

Yes you can get "helper springs and sway bars" to help with the stability of the load and the handling of the van; but you can't get more breaking power. I'm not worried about the van handling smoothly around corners at that weight as much as I am worried about being able to stop if I get into a sticky situation. I have loaded a 1500 van with 2100 pounds before, and believe me, it was one heck of a ride. I'll never attempt that one again.

It is what it is! If you want to tear your equipment up like that on a load; be my guest. I'm done with all that jive. I'm gonna list my van at 2800 pounds with my next carrier and that's all there is to it. I'm not gonna budge or be pushed over my weight limits this time around! One other thing. If you ever do get into an accident and they find out you're overweight, you are gonna go be in some deep sheet. I'm not trying to bash you, Zed, i'm just trying to look at this from a safety standpoint is all.

Not sure about GM vans, but my Super Duty Ford has braking power to spare. My axles are rated well in excess of the registered GVWR. My wheel bearings seem none the worse for wear every time I've repacked them with fresh grease.

I understand your concerns with safety and I have taken all things into consideration. I have had the van loaded with 3200 and pulling a 5400 pound trailer with no brakes, climbed the Rockies and back down again. No issues whatsoever and the sway bars really help when towing.

As for "helper springs" I don't have them. I replaced the entire set of rear leafs and front coils with a heavy duty set from Deaver. They ride like an E250 when I'm empty and like an E450 when loaded. Very, very pleased with the performance and value. Even if you stay under legal limits 100% of the time it is an incredible upgrade for relatively little money. Steering stabilizers from 4-Wheel Parts in California. Sway bars by Rancho, sourced from 4WP.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Like I said before. 4000 lbs is a straight truck load. Period. The problem is now you can't get straight truck money for 4000 lb loads because of companies putting them on vans. I say maybe it's high time to scale vans. That would put a stop to that pretty fast.

Opinions + sour grapes = see above.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Not sure about GM vans, but my Super Duty Ford has braking power to spare. My axles are rated well in excess of the registered GVWR. My wheel bearings seem none the worse for wear every time I've repacked them with fresh grease.

Opinion + overloaded equipment = accident waiting to happen. :mad:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
With out going out and looking I believe my former carrier had me rated for about 2,650 in my E 350. I was offered a load that was supposed to be 2100 lbs. Two separate pick ups, 4 auto type metal skids. The ones around 18-20 inches high. Picked up one at the first stop,. Went across town for three more. I was early and the cargo was coated screws. As the screws came off a conveyor, the metal skids had plastic bags inside them. The fork lift operator took out the one skid, doubled them up and loaded the four skids into the Van. The way the rig settled it was obvious it was a load. While I strapped it down they went to get my paper work. 2,945 lbs. Not knowing better I took it, called the carrier on route and said you need to do a better job of figuring weight. The response was you should have had them remove the load. My rig knew it was carrying a load.:rolleyes: Especially starting & stopping in traffic.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Come on now, Charles. Is this the old cargo van drivin man or the new corporate guy wishing them kind of regulations on us lowly van drivers! lol. Like I said in many other posts, if you say it enough times, it is going to happen. Be careful for what you wish for because if vans lose that overnight competitive edge, it's gonna be all teams in straight trucks scarfing up freight!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok, lets look at this...my new CV starated life as a DRW Chevy Cut-away with a 12,300 gvw from GM...The final stage manufacturer built the truck as a SRW and put the final stage manufacture door sticker on the van with a GVW of 10,000 lbs...all legal....it has the same rear axle housing, axles, wheel axle bearings shocks, brake pads, rotors, caliper, drivetrain, front suspension and tires (except there are only 2 on the rear instead of the 4 that the chassis came from GM with) as a 12,300 gvw van....

I don't have a scale slip yet, but I am told it should scale at approx 6970 lbs, but lets say it comes in at 7000 lbs...by the door sticker i could carry 3000 lbs....but based on all the above why shouldn't i be able to carry 5300 lbs...ok it doesn't have the dual rear tires for the stability, so lets back it down, why shouldn't i be able to carry 4000, since that is the number that is said to be a ST load.....

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Come on now, Charles. Is this the old cargo van drivin man or the new corporate guy wishing them kind of regulations on us lowly van drivers! lol. Like I said in many other posts, if you say it enough times, it is going to happen. Be careful for what you wish for because if vans lose that overnight competitive edge, it's gonna be all teams in straight trucks scarfing up freight!

The vans need whatever edge they can get, but overloading is just bad all the way around. I don't think it will happen because it would be darn near impossible to enforce.

And you're not what I would call a lowly driver. You're a consummate pro. :)

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
all i can say on the subject is, why work harder for the same money. thats like runnin 3000 mi. @ .75 or the same money @.90 for 2500. if you let them take advantage of you they will. as far as regulating vans/sprinters, you wait, its coming. the ever safety loving citizens groups will see to it.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
all i can say on the subject is, why work harder for the same money. thats like runnin 3000 mi. @ .75 or the same money @.90 for 2500. if you let them take advantage of you they will. as far as regulating vans/sprinters, you wait, its coming. the ever safety loving citizens groups will see to it.

I understand what your saying but if vans are ever regulated it will start because of perceived revenue to the goverment. After that is when the citizens groups will have an input.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
sorry to say, but i think you are wrong. some other group will bring it to their attention.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hey Chef, I'm told by some DOT officers they will ignore the upfitters sticker and go with the manufacturers sticker and ticket you according to the OEM sticker.

Having the wheel removed may cause you to be looked at, especially with those roving officers in Illinois and Michigan.

The chances of you getting dinged may be one in twenty million but it is that one chance.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I totally understand greg and i worded it wrong, I wasn't asking should be able to haul that much weight as in "way shouldn't I' but more of why shouldn't I, the truck will handle it, it is built to handle it....

After i get the scale ticket, my thinkng is i will be listing it somewhere between 3-3500 lbs available for freight...

goslow

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Chef, I'm told by some DOT officers they will ignore the upfitters sticker and go with the manufacturers sticker and ticket you according to the OEM sticker.

Having the wheel removed may cause you to be looked at, especially with those roving officers in Illinois and Michigan.

The chances of you getting dinged may be one in twenty million but it is that one chance.

Greg is correct on this just call any of the larger van body manufacturers. Morgan, Supreme, Brown, Hercules, etc. they will all tell you they will not lower or raise the manufactures GVWR sticker, you buy a 12,300 chassis that is what it will be sticked as. As for who did yours I guess you got lucky and hopefully the DOT does not pursue you.

Last edited:

goslow

Seasoned Expediter
I totally understand greg and i worded it wrong, I wasn't asking should be able to haul that much weight as in "way shouldn't I' but more of why shouldn't I, the truck will handle it, it is built to handle it....

After i get the scale ticket, my thinkng is i will be listing it somewhere between 3-3500 lbs available for freight...

Because of your rear tire rating!!! Even if you have good quality E rated tires they are only going to be rated @ 3300-3400 pounds a piece. That only gives you 6800 on your rear axle. Scale the truck see what your rear axle comes out to with your truck full equipped for the road, then decide how much weight you can put on that axle. If your upfitter just left the D-range tires on there you are at only about 5000 on your rear axle.

Keep it safe and legal out here!!!!!!!!