Cargo van's w/ over 200,000/mi

chipwebb

Expert Expediter
Hi- Whats the best advise for acheiving the long life of some of the cargo vans Ive read about with 200,000/mi......some with 300+. I sporting a new 2004 express 2500 that I bought at the first of the year and already have 34,000+.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The number 1 maintainace item is changing the oil. Keep up on that and you will go many hundreds of thousands of miles. My '99 E350 Powerstroke has 762,000 and is still going strong. It is starting to show its age a bit, but still gets from point A to B dependably.

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
Got just over 300,000 on my stroker, glad to see I got a ways to go :)

how offten do you change the 14 quarts of oil in your power stroke?

Next to oil changes, WASH IT. keep it looking nice. I have seen some really crappy looking vans lately. Sadly, they seem to be contracted to the same company I am.

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
Some do.. Some don't.. Panther requires a 96 or newer when you start. Heres the kicker, as long as you don't have many failures due to break down, you can keep driving it. I ran in to a guy the other day driving a 92 Ford. Some of the older vans in the fleet are starting to look really sad and show their 800,000+ miles via battle wounds (accidents that where never fixed) lack of washing leading to massive amounts of rust, extream paint fade (and loss on gm's) while I am not one to throw stones in a glass house, I drive a 96, but if my van looked like those others I would have replaced it. Whats worse, all of the crappy vans I have seen don't belong to the drivers, there is a OWNER behind them putting these guys in those old wrecks.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
As indicated by Highwaystar, I also think it's in the frequent oil and lube. My 2000 chev 3500 gasser has gotten a change every 5000 miles for the past 473,600 miles. I burn a 1/2 qt between changes and ithe engine still feels tight. Preventive maintenace obviates corrective maintenance so it's obvious that frequent upkeep will get you the longevity. I also have serviced the transmission at each 50,000 and replaced plugs, wires, distributor and coil every 100,000.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2 Words..Mobil 1 Every 8000 Miles When I Bought My 03 Gmc Savanna 2500 Before I Moved off the Lot the service department change all the Fluids to Synthetic. My last van was a V-6 That had 450,000 miles on it never used a drop of Oil between Changes.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I change it every 6 to 8 thousand miles. Most often around 6, only occasionally going to 8. I also wash frequently and keep up on all routine maintainance. My company is one that will let you keep it as long as you want as long as breakdowns are'nt out of line. I've only heard of one guy being told to replace his truck. He was on the hook 3 times in 3 weeks. When you looked at his truck, it was obvious he did'nt take maintainance very seriously.

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have 97 E350 377,000+ miles 5.4 Triton gas.
Oil change between 3,000-4,000 miles.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I don't have enough miles on my truck to know for sure, but I would think synthetic oil would add miles to your vehicles life. I have been using it & I've noticed my milage is better. I would have to think it's better overall for the engine too. I can't say for sure because I don't have enough miles w/ synthetic to know, but I believe it's got to help some.

Take care,
Danny

Chad

Expert Expediter
#1 Change oil every 5k to 8k with a good quality oil
#2 Keep your foot out of the petals(IE fast stops and starts)
#3 Keep all fluids changed at recommended intervals
#4 Do recommended tune ups and preventative maintenance
#5 Keep idling to a minimum(Good sleeping bag and a fan/vent will help)
#6 Keep it clean

I know of several drivers including myself that had vans with 600k+ miles and even up to 800k with original engine and transmission by doing this.

As far as synthetic oil goes, I think it really helps on those extreem cold and extreem hot days keeping your engine running with maximum lubrication. Don't buy into the claims that some synthetic oils can go up to 15,000 miles+ without changing oil or filter, you will ruin your engine.

jasonsprouse

Expert Expediter
IMO, it takes a good diesel engine to get high, reliable mileage. Also, for expedite type work you can extend oil changes. It's time and heat / cool cycles that breaks down the oil more than mileage... When the engine is running down the highway 7 or 8 hours a day, the oil lasts a lot longer.

Regular transmission and rear axle oil changes will extend the life of those components. Also, if I were buying a new expedite van, I would special order a manual transmission, which in highway service will get better mileage and should outlast the van. The only real wear item in a manual trans is the clutch, which is much cheaper to replace than a automatic costs to rebuild.