Cargo vans and sprinters....

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
I get the opportunity to meet a lot of great O/O's when I am out on the road traveling. The majority of them are cargo van and sprinter van owners. I listen about "the good ole' days" and today's market and alot of depressed rates and low miles.

On a particular occasion I came across a lady that was a owner of a cargo van and she was "OTR" due to the fact that her husband had lost his job due to a illness and she worked very hard to find a job in her town and it turned out that expediting was her opportunity to provide for her family.

After discussing rates,mileage, time away from the home I was floored at the quality of life that was non existant due to insufficient work for the van. The rate was approx $.72cents a mile and she had also paid fees to be leased on. And on top of that was being paid bi-weekly with a specific time so if the paperwork was not in the money would not be there till the next pay cycle.

And the whole time I was thinking, If your a medium size to large carrier, would'nt you sign the cargo van on at let's say $1.00 a mile for example with no weekly charges and quick pay at no cost.

The way I see it, straight trucks and tractors are my most profitable vehicles and cargo vans are the least profitable. And that's fine. Cargo vans in my opinion are "the bait" for the customers. For example if I where to pay a cargo van $1.00 a mile and charge my customer $1.05 a mile it's a incentive for your customer.

So would'nt make sense to compensate your van more, charge the customer less and use this as a advertising or incentive to get their more profitable work? Business is give and take.

You would be generating more opportunity for your van, paying a better rate for the service, and covering more ground and that means more mileage which means a better revenue to the truck.

Here's my concern. I know the company that the lady was signed on with. She was compensated $.72a mile, but when you call dispatch for a rate to hire the van the minimum was $1.35!! So whats the score in this game? The company made the same she did and they still charged her fee's! Thats ridiculous! If the same driver I met was making $1. a mile and dispatch where to charge me $1.05 (example) Not only would I do more business with this company I would also offer them straight truck and tractor work at a expedite rate when I had it.

So the moral of this story is?? Well I don't know. It just seems the vans get screwed daily. There's a lot more companies these days supporting the independents. And my understanding is the independent insurance cost less than the weekly fee's to be leased on to most companies.

Just my 2 cent. Probably not worth a penny:D

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
mr clark if a carrier was to pay my van dollar a loaded mile all the time i would better set in the bank for the next van but i don't see the carrier i am lease to doing as much work get the loads that pay me that....:eek::(:confused:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
"Bait" is a little off colour....don't know if I care for description..

I realize that straights are the foundation BUT CV's and sprinters....can save your butt at times when trucks are out of hrs or don't have enough to complete load "legally"...

you mentioned "profits" whom were you referring to?

BTW Mr Clark...when someone asks about rates...why do you pm them instead of putting it in the open for all to see? Is it that a complicated pay structure that we simple drivers would not understand?

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So a van getting a dollar is all good and well but shouldn't straight trucks get at least a $1.65 because of the cost seems to be about 65% higher?

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
"Bait" is a little off colour....don't know if I care for description..

I realize that straights are the foundation BUT CV's and sprinters....can save your butt at times when trucks are out of hrs or don't have enough to complete load "legally"...

you mentioned "profits" whom were you referring to?

BTW Mr Clark...when someone asks about rates...why do you pm them instead of putting it in the open for all to see? Is it that a complicated pay structure that we simple drivers would not understand?

Well one of us woke up on the wrong side of the bed, and it's me:cool:

Not much to it.

Cargo vans $1.00 + but I dont know Mr. Ontario how to put it out for posting cause I pay my guys what I feel like!! $350 to do a minimum, $250 to do a 5 mile run. $600 to go 200 miles. So how do I answer that. Tell you $1.00 and be lieing about it????

See I dont believe in posting my rates because If I told the TRUTH and people took it the wrong way or something happened that I couldnt get that rate all the time I would be a LIAR. So when I pay my tractors to go to Detroit to Windsor for $900 and thats about 20 miles I would be lying if I only got $700 the next time.

The fact that I will do what i want and post it where I want is also up to me!!

So you want the facts?

$1.00 a mile loaded cargo van, $.90 a mile empty cargo van
NO FEES!! Plus whatever I want to throw on it

$1.35 a loaded mile straight truck, yes thats with fuel, $.85 a empty mile ALL MILES. Plus whatever I want to throw on it.

Tractors 75% of linehaul, D/H extra. Yeah, I charge about $4. a mile for a tractor. Avg is $3. but $1200 for 250 is about right in Canada.

Want a witness? Yo John Elliot, why do we not do business?? I'm too expensive he will tell you.

Why am I too expensive you ask?? BECAUSE EVERYONE OUT HERE DESERVES BETTER.

So I work my *** off 18hrs a day to make those rates happen. Why all the other companys settle on their crap rates and then stick it in your butt.

Oh I got flats too, But it sits in my yard for months and months. Because I charge $3.50 a mile from the time it leaves till it gets back.

There you have it, Sorry, no helicopters at this time!! :mad:

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
And NO ONE can touch me when it comes to paying my guys! No one. I have a cargo van that works 4 days a week and after expenses takes home $1200 a week. IM like MC HAMMER, CANT TOUCH THIS!!:cool:

Sorry that's local by the way.Not OTR

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks Mr Clark.....but Mr. E has you beat on average for CV rate...my last gig out was $1.26 loaded miles and $1.12 ALL miles.....granted i run into a mess of very good paying loads...:D

BTW..I wasn't being grumpy...just asking a simple question.:)

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Thanks Mr Clark.....but Mr. E has you beat on average for CV rate...my last gig out was $1.26 loaded miles and $1.12 ALL miles.....granted i run into a mess of very good paying loads...:D

BTW..I wasn't being grumpy...just asking a simple question.:)

That's great. But I'm NOT a cargo van or sprinter van company. I run 2 of them and they are both retired guys that are bored.

I am going to run 50 independents out of our new office in Woodhaven in March. Theres such a large calling for these cargo vans that need assistance out here.

BTW, I'm grumpy today. Just turned 40, so I guess I'm a grumpy old man.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
That's great. But I'm NOT a cargo van or sprinter van company. I run 2 of them and they are both retired guys that are bored.

I am going to run 50 independents out of our new office in Woodhaven in March. Theres such a large calling for these cargo vans that need assistance out here.

Happy Birthday, grumpy. lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Well Happy Birthday..John C....John E is in flight will be in Taylor by 2pm....*LOL*

Don't under estimate CV power....with HOS getting tighter and tighter....ya never know...

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
OOOOOOOOOOHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Was that a can of worms. Hey John C, Met with John E in Knoxville last night. You two are a lot alike. It's really hard to get your point across in print w/o letting the cat out of the bag so to speak.

Myself I am cargo van and plan on being that way because I'm 63 retired and don't want the abuse of the big trucks anymore. Just the same I'm with you and John E. Maybe some of the others will see the light. Maybe yet they might start a war something like the old gas wars, wouldn't that be cool:cool:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Was that a can of worms. Hey John C, Met with John E in Knoxville last night. You two are a lot alike. It's really hard to get your point across in print w/o letting the cat out of the bag so to speak.

Myself I am cargo van and plan on being that way because I'm 63 retired and don't want the abuse of the big trucks anymore. Just the same I'm with you and John E. Maybe some of the others will see the light. Maybe yet they might start a war something like the old gas wars, wouldn't that be cool:cool:

That is my hope...that more and more carriers will see the light....screw this volume pricing crap....and commodity...I am NOT a bushel of corn nor pork belly...*L*

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter

Tell John E. to cut me a check so I can join forces and we can conquer the industry and wage a war!! Hear that John? It's a subliminal message.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Oh my, c'mon guy's if Friday.

I think I'll start an Expedite Company, let's see what can I call it????

Maybe, I'll have to think about that one. I'll charge the customers $5 bucks a mile pay cargo vans $4.99 cent per mile all miles, go public in a week, get bailed out by numb nuts in Washington and use all GM products.

I'll have the biggest baddest expedite company out there.

Wait I think there's another company already doing that, Meow:eek:

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Oh my, c'mon guy's if Friday.

I think I'll start an Expedite Company, let's see what can I call it????

Maybe, I'll have to think about that one. I'll charge the customers $5 bucks a mile pay cargo vans $4.99 cent per mile all miles, go public in a week, get bailed out by numb nuts in Washington and use all GM products.

I'll have the biggest baddest expedite company out there.

Wait I think there's another company already doing that, Meow:eek:

$4.99 ? Sign me up which company is this :eek: :D

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
$4.99 ? Sign me up which company is this :eek: :D

I'm trying to figure out the name.

"CargoVan Expediters, Landing on the Stars, in the Kitty litter with FYK with the Total Package and Trying Ours" Expedite company limited.

Something like that.:eek::p

We will only lease a C/Van if the name fits on the doors, in color.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I'm trying to figure out the name.

"CargoVan Expediters, Landing on the Stars, in the Kitty litter with FYK with the Total Package and Trying Ours" Expedite company limited.

Something like that.:eek::p

We will only lease a C/Van if the name fits on the doors, in color.

Haha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats so funny :D :D

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is my hope...that more and more carriers will see the light....screw this volume pricing crap....and commodity...I am NOT a bushel of corn nor pork belly...*L*

Sorry Ken, You didn't think I would let this one pass did ya....

No you are not a Bushel of Corn,,...... :eek: