Cargo Van Team Daily Lodging Advice?

TwoFish23

New Recruit
Researching
My wife and I currently drive a reefer team for a big company. Were considering buying a cargo van and signing on with one or multiple carriers. Were learning a lot in the research phase, but having difficulty finding solid info about lodging. It seems most people live out of the van except for the occasional hotel stay to treat themselves. We do this currently in the truck (80"sleeper) with our 2 large dogs and we're ok with the space because we all love each other for the most part. But with 2 skids in a cargo van, I doubt we will both be sleeping in the remaining space especially with the dogs.
The question is, Is it realistic to get a hotel every night in this
business? The dogs are our kids, so leaving them isn't an option. And they're extremely well trained so we can probably make the hotel room work for them without "pet friendly" hotels exclusively. It just comes down to money and we have no idea realistically how much it would cost per year factoring in urban areas with higher rates. I did hear about the CLC card and I would definitely get that.
Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry to say it isn't really a feasible idea. For one there isn't enough money in the van segment. Also this isn't like driving a big truck loads are on demand not pre-dispatched. You could pay for a room and 90 minutes later be running out the door to make a pickup.

Can you van expedite with two people and two dogs sure but forget the motel idea.

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My heater actually broke in my van Saturday evening and I decided to just get a hotel for the weekend, because it's pretty cold out and I didn't want to be cold. I paid $60 a night for 2 nights and if I had to do this every night where I'm without a load or waiting to drop in the morning, I wouldn't be in this business.

And this afternoon I could've easily forfeited $60 because I got 2 calls for loads, and if I would have gotten them, the hotel room would just be a waste.

TwoFish23

New Recruit
Researching
Thanks everyone so far! Just seems crazy we're currently paying $1000 a week to lease + fuel for our rig. That's 4K a month! Which made $60 a night and $1700 a month for hotels seem doable. A lot say you can make the same or more in expedited as a big truck so we thought we'd save money...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, more factors include what van? If you're considering a G3500 definitely no and forget further consideration. If you're planning on a 3 skid capable van and are of "hardy stock" then maybe. Meaning, you set the van up to live in the van. When you are not under load you have more room than your current sleeper. With one skid you have the same room as your current sleeper. With two skids you have a small and cramped sleeper. With three skids you need a motel. But wait! There's more! Just pay shipping and handling... oh, wrong more.

Part of the reason for team is to make the run Laredo-Detroit non-stop so one of you is theoretically up front driving making the sleeper area roomier for the sleeping partner. Usually there's at least some urgency and you won't be warehousing overnight. So in reality it's not so much of is this possible with a motel room every night but is it possible with 1 or 2 nights a week in a motel. That's still no better than a definite maybe at best and depends on you setting up the van with good insulation, climate control that doesn't require idling, etc. and being satisfied with that being your lodgings.

Another option, if you are "hardy stock" is a tent and a campsite at KOA or wherever for $2x a night instead of the $5x of a motel. Lots more research. Good luck.

Reactions: xmudman

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2 words...straight truck

You have a team, why mess with a cargo van?

(Edit: USED straight, get a huge sleeper if you want)

Reactions: RoadTime

TwoFish23

New Recruit
Researching
Well, more factors include what van? If you're considering a G3500 definitely no and forget further consideration. If you're planning on a 3 skid capable van and are of "hardy stock" then maybe. Meaning, you set the van up to live in the van. When you are not under load you have more room than your current sleeper. With one skid you have the same room as your current sleeper. With two skids you have a small and cramped sleeper. With three skids you need a motel. But wait! There's more! Just pay shipping and handling... oh, wrong more.

Part of the reason for team is to make the run Laredo-Detroit non-stop so one of you is theoretically up front driving making the sleeper area roomier for the sleeping partner. Usually there's at least some urgency and you won't be warehousing overnight. So in reality it's not so much of is this possible with a motel room every night but is it possible with 1 or 2 nights a week in a motel. That's still no better than a definite maybe at best and depends on you setting up the van with good insulation, climate control that doesn't require idling, etc. and being satisfied with that being your lodgings.

Another option, if you are "hardy stock" is a tent and a campsite at KOA or wherever for $2x a night instead of the $5x of a motel. Lots more research. Good luck.

TwoFish23

New Recruit
Researching
So basically your saying it's possible to make it work, but we have to be versatile. Meaning use the room we have during down time instead of a hotel. When we're full, run it nonstop so as not to need a hotel, then again use the space when we unload. And try for less nights per week for getting a hotel to stay sane. Because there's absolutely no way we afford a hotel daily with the money a team cargo van makes... ?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been doing this 10 years. I have not gotten a hotel room once. I have only run heat one year out of the last 10, and never A/C.

I'm in a sprinter now, and it's paid for. I can't imagine paying out for hotel rooms and having enough money to consider it worthwhile...

IMO of course...i don't even have a permanent bunk because so many of my loads take the whole 13'6" available, just a foam matress

You can net as much as a big truck, but its things like never getting a hotel room that makes the difference. There are more vans competing for less business. If I had a team, I'd never consider anything smaller than a straight.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Thanks everyone so far! Just seems crazy we're currently paying $1000 a week to lease + fuel for our rig. That's 4K a month! Which made $60 a night and $1700 a month for hotels seem doable. A lot say you can make the same or more in expedited as a big truck so we thought we'd save money...

4k a month is outlandish hope it is a brand new truck.and if your paying the fuel to hope your carrier is grossing you at least 25k per month.do you own the truck after lease is over? Straight truck would be a better option if you want to stay a team. in a van you will have no room once loaded and unless they are lap dogs I wouldn't see that working at all. not to mention the fact that a lot of shippers do not want pets. if your just interested in getting away from regulations then a van might be the way to go but I honestly would not expect to bring home more than 1k per week after expense. plus you take that 60 per night you think you might spend on hotels over a month period you would have a nice straight truck payment.maybe not new but a nice used.to many cargo vans and not to many carriers paying rates that justify the investment of a new sprinter

Maiça59

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Hello everyone!!
I have been doing good with a straight truck riding team, until my co driver went crazy!!!
So my fiancé wants to come work with me, but , no cdl!!!
So signed up for van, he is 6.4 me 5.3 he is not much of sacrificing person, so any ideas how can he sleep
in van while I drive???
Hotels once in while ok, but not always, unless u think of it as rent being paid back home!!
We don't have a place so hotels should be our rent!!
Idea was to drive straight truck, but still working on cdl.
So please feel free to give ideas as to insulation, do vans use apu's???
its not our van

ucfd608

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello everyone!!
I have been doing good with a straight truck riding team, until my co driver went crazy!!!
So my fiancé wants to come work with me, but , no cdl!!!
So signed up for van, he is 6.4 me 5.3 he is not much of sacrificing person, so any ideas how can he sleep
in van while I drive???
Hotels once in while ok, but not always, unless u think of it as rent being paid back home!!
We don't have a place so hotels should be our rent!!
Idea was to drive straight truck, but still working on cdl.
So please feel free to give ideas as to insulation, do vans use apu's???
its not our van

Personally if it was me I would have him take the cdl written test get all the endorsements he needs then rent a truck an take him to do the driving portion since you have a cdl you can rent a truck let him drive some with you in the truck so he can get used to it

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I would look for a local company to drive for , like ceva, check there web site to see if they are near you