Cargo Van cargo van owner needs advice

Greg Lowry

New Recruit
Hello this is my first time posting on here. I currently have a cargo van that is older than most carriers will take. I have been able to get on with express family and prestige expedite. I am currently sitting way to much and can't even get a load from my home location which is central Indiana. Both companies call me for loads and i bid on them but rarely do I get the load. I am wondering what I should do because I enjoy driving and doing this type of work but am starting to question my path. I don't want to drive with another person or team and wouldn't know the first thing about finding a good fleet owner that would take me.

Thanks in advance.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
..... I don't want to drive with another person or team and wouldn't know the first thing about finding a good fleet owner that would take me.

Thanks in advance.
Even with another person or driving for an owner, the issue remains, not getting the load.

Good luck

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One of the problems with "getting on" with multiple carriers is you aren't exactly at the top of the list with either carrier on getting to get you loaded. They're no incentives for either to make sure you are moving

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Getting a fleet owner to take you on is usually just a process of contacting a company that you want to drive for and telling them that you want to drive for a fleet owner. Once you get the name of the owner make sure that you Google them to check for complaints about poor upkeep or nonpayment.

What kind of rates are you trying to get?

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Are you just using a standard height cargo van? If so that is your biggest problem because most carriers like the tallest and longest cargo vans that we can get that are under 10,000 gvrw.
you want a tall van that can SAFELY take 3 skids and give you room to sleep. 3 skids is the standard now even tho we might not get 3 all the time.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Hello this is my first time posting on here. I currently have a cargo van that is older than most carriers will take. I have been able to get on with express family and prestige expedite. I am currently sitting way to much and can't even get a load from my home location which is central Indiana. Both companies call me for loads and i bid on them but rarely do I get the load. I am wondering what I should do because I enjoy driving and doing this type of work but am starting to question my path. I don't want to drive with another person or team and wouldn't know the first thing about finding a good fleet owner that would take me.

Thanks in advance.
you probably need to drop your rates, go for 80 to 90 cents per mile for your cargo van, and see what happens, you will probably be covered up....then when business improves, raise them up a little...but the market is saturated with cargo vans now, you can't be picky if you want to run.

bigrig33

Rookie Expediter
Driver
my advice i only hear cargo van dudes starve out there, idk never i would deal with a little van anyway, get class a cdl and drive t/t like i did, or do heavy duty expediting stuff(cdl work pays more, more opportunities)