cargo van or sprinter

Rising_Cow

Active Expediter
The cheapest and most reliable. I like the new ford, even with it not being out yet. In a cv now but looking maybe upgrade soon

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You'll find LOTS of discussion of this already on the forum. For most people working with most carriers tall and long is the way to go.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If I was a carrier I think my philosophy would be long and tall would always be first out before cv.
Keep those guys with the bigger investment moving all the time.
If you want to lease on your cv, and you feel my stuff is plentiful enough and good enough, come on.
I'm gonna move my long and tall's so I'm sure I keep them.
If all I had was long and talls, that would be okay too.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I was a carrier I think my philosophy would be long and tall would always be first out before cv.
Or let the long and tall sit until it is needed for a long and tall load.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It'd be the driver's choice. Keep moving or wait. :)
If I had to break even on 25% of the loads, paying L&T rate on cv loads, and it kept my fleet of L&T under my signage and profitable, we all win..

Maybe not my wife. Her company car wouldn't be a Mercedes.

Unless I got her a $printer. And let her take it home at night. :cool:

Last edited:

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Or let the long and tall sit until it is needed for a long and tall load.

That is what scares me about getting a long and tall. If it fits in a van, save the long and tall for when they need it. Not all carriers, but I can see some doing just that.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They're are carriers that will flat dispatch around a driver that goes to Canada, saving them for a Canada load. And they'll do they same thing with van capacity. .

zorry

Veteran Expediter
That's what I like about my D.
I do D loads, C loads, and B loads ( at straight truck rate,of course. )

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Using the logic of the last few then you should get the shortest lowest van you can find so you won't be dispatched around to be held for a larger load just in case. Don't get a hazmat endorsement either. The dispatchers might load around you just in case they need a hazmat load covered. Get rid of your passport. Don't have any special cargo handling equipment. Don't do anything at all to stand out from the crowd. :rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's not really logic, it's reality. The key is to avoid the carriers who do that.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
That's a problem in other sectors too..
At Trailer Transit, if you had a ball hitch, pintle hook, or electric brakes, they'd run around you to "save" you for that special load.
The upside is those things were scarce enough to pay a big premium.
Most of the dispatchers would be straight enough to say "How about planning a day off Wed. We need a pintle hook for Thursday."

I'm good with a planned day off during the week. Especially if I have some notice so I can plan stuff.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
When I was in my dads sprinter I thought that it got passed over because of the higher rate and to save me for an actual sprinter load. Now I'm in my ford I've realized that dispatchers just call the person whose been there longer whether it be a sprinter or a regular van

Edit: this is only with my carrier tho. I have no other experience with anybody other than them

zorry

Veteran Expediter
What's the price difference there between the Ford and the $printer ?
Is the FSC the same ?

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With my first carrier I had the problem once I got my passport. Before I always got out on Monday mornings when I went home. After getting my passport, I didn't get a load from home until usually on Tuesday afternoon. And it was always a Canada load. Then they would keep me sitting close to the border and have other vans bring me freight to transfer onto my van. I did most of my work in Canada. So, more sitting and waiting. Canada did pay more per mile but it rarely got me home without a huge DH. If I hadn't gotten my passport, I'd most likely still be with them, but grew tired of always being in Canada.

Even though Canada runs paid a premium, with their higher fuel and food costs plus border crossing expenses, I grossed more but didn't actually make any more profit.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It'd be the driver's choice. Keep moving or wait. :)
If I had to break even on 25% of the loads, paying L&T rate on cv loads, and it kept my fleet of L&T under my signage and profitable, we all win..

Maybe not my wife. Her company car wouldn't be a Mercedes.

Unless I got her a $printer. And let her take it home at night. :cool:

At E-1 they used to "save" me for the bigger loads....CV's would be coming in and out...I'd sit...Why I ask one day.....saving you for the big one....DOH!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
With my first carrier I had the problem once I got my passport. Before I always got out on Monday mornings when I went home. After getting my passport, I didn't get a load from home until usually on Tuesday afternoon. And it was always a Canada load. Then they would keep me sitting close to the border and have other vans bring me freight to transfer onto my van. I did most of my work in Canada. So, more sitting and waiting. Canada did pay more per mile but it rarely got me home without a huge DH. If I hadn't gotten my passport, I'd most likely still be with them, but grew tired of always being in Canada.

Even though Canada runs paid a premium, with their higher fuel and food costs plus border crossing expenses, I grossed more but didn't actually make any more profit.

That is exactly why I don't do Canada...my carrier sucks at getting return loads....besides they have Canadians up there twiddling their thumbs....the premium in NO way pays for the extra DH to get out...and I am Canadian and I won't go..LOL