cargo van heat

jezzy

Seasoned Expediter
does anyone know whats the best way to heat a cargo van besides a buddy heater? was thinking about a roof mount like a travel trailer has with air and heat then get a 3000 watt generator and mount on the van outside but not sure if theres a better solution...please let me know if have any other suggestions thanks

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Espar!! I have the D2 in my chevy van and I love it. got it on right now keeping me toasty warm here in MN. I have had it a year and wish I had got it a long time ago.:D:D:D

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Ditto - what they said (...... reaching over to flip the switch on mine, on a chilly and rainy night in Georgia)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The cover story in the current edition of Expedite NOW is about Bill Allen, a cargo van owner who powers his sleeper with solar power. At press time, Bill planned to install an Espar heater. That was recently done and he is delighted with the heater. As winter approaches, he expects to stay toasty-warm in his cargo van sleeper, without using a generator and without idling his van.

See: Expediter Uses Solar Power to Eliminate Idling

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I sent for info, but can anyone tell me about how much fuel these use in a van, and what the cost is?

Thanks,

Dale

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I sent for info, but can anyone tell me about how much fuel these use in a van, and what the cost is?
BTU output, Amp Draw, Airflow and Fuel Consumption:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/22527-espar-d2-cargo-van.html#post185410

Installed cost is (roughly) $1500 for the Airtronic 2 and $2000 for the Airtronic 4.

Cost analysis of the Espar versus idling:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/general-expediter-forum/18669-propane-truck.html#post144497
and here:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/general-expediter-forum/18669-propane-truck.html#post144499

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
You guys got D2s! I have a D5 unit. Have to look at the D2 or is that a gas version? Mine is diesel and uses little fuel.
Rob

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The D5, man that's a big heater. That's for large boats, trailers, stuff like that. That should keep ya warm and toasty. :) I have the D4, which is not much different, tho.

The $1500 buck for a heater sounds like a stoopid amount to pay for a heater (I have the larger D4 at $2000), but it'll cost you at least that much to idle. It pays for itself the first year, and every year after that the money stays in your pocket instead of paying for the heater or the fuel to idle.

But the Espar Airtronics are air heaters, not an engine block heater, so no, the Airtronics won't heat your engine. The Espar Hydronic engine coolant heaters will. They are integrated in the cooling system of the engine, and the heat energy gained is then distributed through the vehicle's existing heat exchanger as forced hot air and this heats the interior of the vehicle via existing air vents. The engine is warmed up with the residual heat in the cooling water.