cargo boards ?

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I have tried getting freight from many of the cargo boards and so far no luck which is the board any of you other owner ops have luck with ? I tried truckstop . com , 123loadboard, and expeditorloads and no luck at all.

I run a 1 ton e350 cargo van. but very close to selling it and putting the money down on a hino straighttruck or something in the 26' under cdl range.

PlusServices

Seasoned Expediter
the boards to not cater to the straight truck or van. You may get lucky but even if you do the load will most likely be extremely heavy or low paying. Don't expect a to make a living off the boards. As for your comment about buying a Hino. DON'T mark my words you do not want that truck. I know the prices are low but don't do it

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I was thinking I would get that answer about saying Hino. I have actually thought of just getting a used semi and and a used 48' trailer with a lift deck and doing ltl's cross country. yes more work but more work = more money ! I did ltl for o/o back in 95 / 96 and was making like $1000 a week but he was spending his money on other things and his truck was repoed LOL luckily I don't have vices and I have a strong work ethic so I think I can do it.

johnpetrus

Seasoned Expediter
I have tried getting freight from many of the cargo boards and so far no luck which is the board any of you other owner ops have luck with ? I tried truckstop . com , 123loadboard, and expeditorloads and no luck at all.

I run a 1 ton e350 cargo van. but very close to selling it and putting the money down on a hino straighttruck or something in the 26' under cdl range.

Why don't you sign on with a couple of companies and let them do the looking for you? As for the boards your looking at you will not find a thing for a van.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Why don't you sign on with a couple of companies and let them do the looking for you? As for the boards your looking at you will not find a thing for a van.

The only companies that will allow someone to be signed on with someone else are all looking at the same freight sources. More than one won't help.

As to the original question, the load boards are primarily truck load and LTL boards, not suited for smaller vehicles. It can help to have a source for LTL freight just when you need to relocate or find a ride along load to make some extra cash when you already have a full rate load on board.

If you want to make it running on your own, forget about load boards. Talk to as many of the larger expedite carriers out there and get partner agreements. They all broker out their excess freight. Talk to freight forwarders, 3PLs, etc. It's not as simple as just signing on some internet board and watching the loads come to your laptop.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Another option is to work directly with shippers. It all depends on how you want to do it.

Yep, but either way, it's more work than most people think. I'd love to find the magical load board where all the freight just shows up and you can sit there and wait for it to come to you, but if it was that easy more people would be doing it and there wouldn't be as much money.