Car Expediter (my new gig)

Benzoid

Seasoned Expediter
After years of thinking about trying the Driving for money thing, I took the plunge but in a different way.

I just signed on with a courier company local to me. They haul everything from Body parts, legal paperwork, computer parts, monkey blood (yeah, you read that right) and everything in between. It's mostly one-way (no backhaul) locally (in Michigan mostly). I don't figure I will get rich doing it, but they let me run my Subaru Forester for it. 25-30mpg most of the time on the highway. Between $.70 - $1.25 per mile +FSC and other add-ons. Like I said, it's one way but mostly 100-400miles per run. Home almost every night.

I'm looking at this as a part-time gig as I have a home based consulting business that is mostly done online. Looking for something to get me out of the Home-office once in a while. I've only done a few runs so far. Not exactly sure if it will turn out profitable.

Anyone else ever done this type of driving? It's a lot like Expediting (in fact they call the hot loads expedite) other then it's out and back every run. Any advice?

I'm also looking into maybe trying to book my own backhaul but all the boards I find are for Truck Loads (and they are not paying much)

Hope I'm not TOO off topic.

Thanks!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I were leased to this company I'd try to latch on to that two load a day dedicated run to Seville hauling monkey blood.

Benzoid

Seasoned Expediter
I think I talked to the same company a few weeks ago. Seems like they are growing

Yeah, they seem to be growing. I'm still not sure it's going to be profitable. On paper it seems to be.

They have some routes that a van or box truck are required. The place is called Star Delivery Solutions in Traverse City, MI.

Neuman65

Seasoned Expediter
Is is Star Delivery? They have a new office/location just a few miles south of Grand Rapids, MI... Right near my house in Byron Center, MI. Just be careful not to run your car into the ground for pennies. I think if you get a dedicated route you can do alright. Good luck to you

ed2012

Active Expediter
I do the same thing here in Chicago with a local company near my house. I drive my car...however, these guys were good for a short while and then started to low-ball me wanted me to drive for pennies. They would have me take a load into Chicago for $30 and come back empty (they are located about 30 miles northwest of Chicago). After I figured out the tolls/gas and my time doing this in Chicago Rush Hour, I was basically working for $9-11 per hour.

I must admit I had a few out of the state runs to Iowa, Indiana, and Wisconsin but that only happens once or twice a month. If you reject a load they throw you down the waiting list. I am hoping to sign on with a new company, or even better am looking into getting a cargo van and then finding a company that will pay me for my effort and time.

On top of all of this, I put about 10,000 miles on my car in four to five months and worst of all did not make much after I did all of the calculations. I am still signed on with them but have not done a run in about a month and a half. Will most likely go in the office and just tell I'm out!

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter
After years of thinking about trying the Driving for money thing, I took the plunge but in a different way.

I just signed on with a courier company local to me. They haul everything from Body parts, legal paperwork, computer parts, monkey blood (yeah, you read that right) and everything in between. It's mostly one-way (no backhaul) locally (in Michigan mostly). I don't figure I will get rich doing it, but they let me run my Subaru Forester for it. 25-30mpg most of the time on the highway. Between $.70 - $1.25 per mile +FSC and other add-ons. Like I said, it's one way but mostly 100-400miles per run. Home almost every night.

I'm looking at this as a part-time gig as I have a home based consulting business that is mostly done online. Looking for something to get me out of the Home-office once in a while. I've only done a few runs so far. Not exactly sure if it will turn out profitable.

Anyone else ever done this type of driving? It's a lot like Expediting (in fact they call the hot loads expedite) other then it's out and back every run. Any advice?

I'm also looking into maybe trying to book my own backhaul but all the boards I find are for Truck Loads (and they are not paying much)

Hope I'm not TOO off topic.

Thanks!

I did this a long time ago, it was ok but in Chicago where I am, you spend most of your time in traffic so it takes a while to make any money. Plus, best make sure of your insurance situation...your normal car policy is likely not going to be valid as you're driving your car commercially. Might do better driving someone else's van or truck (as an employee). Good luck to you...