Canada Canada

Graybeard

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When you pickup a canadian load in the states after you stick on your bar code who faxes it to the broker. You, your company or the shipper. I just took my first load into Canada and didn't have a bar code, won't do that again.

Graybeard

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I'm no expert on Canada, or any other expediting issue, can only share with you our experiences. Some of the companies we've shipped for have faxed ahead as policy, some have graciously agreed to fax after we asked, some have just looked at us like we were aliens, not knowing what we were talking about, in which case we did it ourselves. The glich is that faxing ahead does not guarantee that you will clear customs in a timely fashion. We have faxed ahead and cleared and we have faxed ahead and still have to see the broker. We're thinking that a lot of this depends on who the broker is as we have used a certain one often and ALWAYS have problems, one day waiting for 5 hours, I won't mention any names but it starts with L and ends in N (ivingsto in the middle !!!!!!).
Customs can be a hassle but we still love going to Canada. Recently we had a few loads into Quebec, that was a trip what with the language barrior (we don't speak French), but most of the people spoke at least a little English. We had a giggle trying to order Kentucky Fried Chicken (PFK up there) as my husband wanted his usual, now............YOU trying telling the French-speaking young lady that he wants a breast and thigh!!!!!! And then there was the mashed potato and gravy issue, I kept asking mashed potatoes and gray? and she kept nodding yes, yes, that comes with the dinner, well they serve french fries with gravy up there!! Wasn't too bad, actually. Point being that even with 5 hours at the border we found fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where ever you go, THERE YOU ARE!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

harry

Expert Expediter
just want you to know how i do it . i sticker one and make three copies of it and then i put my e.t.a. on it and fax the paperwork to the broker. (usually i do this from the shipping office) then i call the broker to get verification that the fax was recieved. and at the right port of entry.and i am good to go. also leave at least 3 to 4 hrs. for processing. and like diesel diva and her spouse i also find canada very enjoyable.. HAPPY EXPEDITING and GOOD LUCK

prescat

Expert Expediter
Yes, we recently did our first load to Canada and we're very apprehensive. Thankfully, our fears were not warranted. Customs was no problem and we got in pretty smoothly. I say pretty smoothly because our dispatch gave us 2 fax numbers for the broker, neither of which was the fax for the office we were crossing into, (Port Huron/Sarnia). So stupid me had faxed to the wrong number and I had to see the broker when we crossed. It took us about 30 minutes. Next time after I fax the stuff if it's not A49, I will also call to confirm it's arrival. With regard to the last post, we also really enjoyed Canada. From their entry people, to the brokers, the people of Canada truly are nice and friendly and it is a beautiful and clean country, (spoken by someone who is waiting for a load on the "other border" right now). The irony of that load was that we had more trouble getting BACK to the US with a load we pulled out of Ontario.
So yes, you should fax to the broker and it would pay to cofirm receipt of the documentation.

G

Canadian government people are usually great to deal with, brokers, OTOH, can be a mixed bag. Some are very efficient while others can hold you up for hours. We also enjoy going to Ontario, just not real fond of the places with anti smoking laws. A tip: go to an ATM in Ontario and get some Canadian money to buy small stuff with. Stores will take US$ no questions asked, but will often burn you on exchange rate. We alway carry Canadian dollars or pay with plastic.

prescat

Expert Expediter
Yes, Joe, you're right. We learned about that money thing and next time won't make the same mistake. (I wished I would've read your post before going in. somehow after all exchanges I think we lost about 20 bucks....American). I would also advise being gassed up completely. We weren't and we paid. :) :)

Graybeard

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for all the info on customs. We have had bar code stickers made up for our co. This should solve our problem.

Graybeard:)

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have been following this thread, but couldn't contribute until I found where I had written the password down. I appologise for being late.
First: Let me cover the most important question in this thread:
NO you cannot get mashed potatoes with KFC.
In Canada, we eat french fries with our KFC. In fact, most Canadians had never heard or thought of mashed potatoes with any sort of fast food.
Now, BARCODES:
I am assuming here that Greybeard was refering to the PARS carrier code barcode.
There are no hard and fast rules as to whom is responsible to bar code and fax the documents. Most times the driver will as they are the persons most concerned.
Make sure you go where you fax the papers, and fax 'em to the correct broker. Don't fax the Windsor office and then try to cross the Blue Water Bridge.
The papers must be sent to the broker a minimum 2-1/2 hours before you expect to cross. You should show an ETA.
Now, there are occasions when the PARS entry won't be ready. Those papers you sent might be wrong, there might be questions that we are trying to resolve with shipper or importer.
Check the papers to make sure they show Country of Origin and Currency of Settlement.
Don't guess and assume they are US origin and write that on the invoice. If Customs looks and they are not, then they could be seized.
Unfortunately, we cannot do an entry just to keep the driver happy, all the details must be correct.
We do try our best though, and most of the time succeeed.
Remember, don't bring any weapons into Canada, this includes Mace and Pepper Spray. Don't hide them in your truck, if it is searched and weapons found, the truck (vehicle) is forfeit. That means it is seized!.
I hope I've answered a few of your questions about crossing the border.
Happy Thanksgiving!

captain

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One thing to remember if they try to scan your documents at the primary booth and it doesn't scan...they will tell you to go directly to the offsite inspection station. Be SURE when you get to the
station you go to customs FIRST, before you see the broker. They will scan it again and if it fails a second time, you will be told to go to the broker. If you go to the broker before you go to customs, you could get slapped with a fine. The PARS system is great as long as you get the information faxed to the broker in time, most of the time 2 hours before you cross is the norm, but it varies a lot, some brokers are faster than others. Buckland, for instance, usually can get the paperwork in the system in an hour, but they are exceptional, usually you can figure on two hours. Sometime, the system goes down and you have to go to the broker anyway.

Captain