Can anyone top this?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
My question is why?
After 48 hours without a load we ask for and usually get a relocate or at least authorized deadhead to a more active express center.
Relocating isn't very profitable but sitting for that many days is a bank account breaker.

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Because last week we sat for 4 days in Louisville KY a very active Express Center. I am not a big fan of working for nothing. They did offer a relocate to Elk Grove Village but driving over 1200 miles for nothing is not my idea of profitable.
In fairness we had offers to go to Williston ND and Minot ND. If we can't get out of San Antonio how would we get out of ND?
I am not after miles but rather $. If we work we get paid. A personal choice. It is apparent a lot of people are getting miles but at what return. We choose not to run for less because other people are. Things are changing and hopefully we will adapt in a manner OK with us and our carrier. At least we are setting in warm weather and that also might influence our decisions.:cool:
Sincerely hope you are doing well Jim.
Mike & Cheryl

Last edited:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
In our case, we just refused to believe that nothing was moving. As I said before, Seattle is usually very good to us and we didn't want to go with the $0.75 a mile to ELK. Another reason was that no one was in Portland either, so we owned quite a large portion of the country.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We have been doing very well.
Had three good weeks out west last month and a decent 9 days so far this month.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just when you think it can't get any worse.
A load offer came over the Qualcomm, San Antonio to San Antonio,Haz W/G, 0 DHPU, good rate. Having been here since last Friday morning at 05:57, express center check in, when our Qualcomm showed no D units checked in. Status check at 08:55,09:50,12:05 and 2/16 at 13:43 showed one unit ,us. At 15:39 on2/17 status check showed 3 units. We assumed we had the most dwell time. There are no W/G units here.

157 hours and there is a truck in San Antonio with more dwell time.
Load assigned to another unit, when dispatch questioned, they said load went to the right unit.
Very difficult to plan when info on Qualcomm is bogus. Jus saying.

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
If a truck is on a less than 75 status and is capable of making an on time pick up they will be offered the load. Expess center does not matter.
I find the VRU to be more accurate than the Clink when checking express center status.

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I learned something this morning after talking with our CC. When there is a W/G load and NO W/G trucks near by the load will go to the truck with the lowest truck number regardless of dwell time. I can understand this as W/G wants the most experienced truck to run the load.

When you know your dwell time is the longest and your setting on the freight it is hard to see a team who arrived 3 days later and does not have a less than 75 get a sweet paying run and than get a less than 75 that moves them past you for the next load. It is now understandable after having it explained. I don' like it but at least I know how it happens and it is not favoritism.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Are you talking about the actual truck number (CXXXX, DRXXXX)? That would really make no sense at all, as truck number really has nothing to do with experience, just time in the fleet. And even that is debatable.

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Make no sense or not that is a deciding factor. It does make sense in that if you have two o/o trucks the oldest number has been in the fleet longer and MIGHT have more experience. This pertains only to W/G selecting a non W/G truck when there are no W/G available.

Remember the most important thing in Expediting. Even if having a bad day tip the shower attendant.

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
So, if we buy a new truck and get a new truck number we would be less qualified? I belive that's what you were told, but it doesn't make any sense.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Experience no longer has the value it once had. Not only in this business but in general. Cheap labor is more important.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Why not just go to Dallas?- aren't there more C&D loads out of there?- or is DAL a white glove center for those units? maybe the co. didn't want to pay you the DH for DAL you might have be offered-who knows.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
addition
Because last week we sat for 4 days in Louisville KY a very active Express Center. I am not a big fan of working for nothing. They did offer a relocate to Elk Grove Village but driving over 1200 miles for nothing is not my idea of profitable.
In fairness we had offers to go to Williston ND and Minot ND. If we can't get out of San Antonio how would we get out of ND?
I am not after miles but rather $. If we work we get paid. A personal choice. It is apparent a lot of people are getting miles but at what return. We choose not to run for less because other people are. Things are changing and hopefully we will adapt in a manner OK with us and our carrier. At least we are setting in warm weather and that also might influence our decisions.:cool:
Sincerely hope you are doing well Jim.
Mike & Cheryl

I know it's a gamble but more often then not it seems you get a load offer before you finish those long deadheads. Some driver's call it Trolling.

Last edited: